The Elder Scrolls Online

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I thought this was going into beta soon. Why aren't they releasing gameplay videos and stuff?

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I can think of, outside of everything UT has already said, is that they know they can't deliver a fraction of its generated hype so they are trying to turn their amps back down from 11. At the Pax East Future of MMO Panel or whatever it was called I think Firor mentioned TESO once or twice in the entire hour and the only thing he said that can be attributed to the game that I remember is that he believes the days of forced grouping is over. Everyone else talked about their games to an extent including the EQ Next guy who dropped some hints, but Firor kept his mouth shut.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
safe to say I wont be playing this...

No raid endgame... PVP limited to one pre-defined area... annoying targeting system... faction restrictions...

*snore*

Everyone else talked about their games to an extent including the EQ Next guy who dropped some hints, but Firor kept his mouth shut.
Where do I got a summary of what was said? Searching for "Pax East future of MMO panel" all I can find is videos from a 2010 panel with a bunch of winners : Paul Barnett (Electronic Arts), Craig Alexander (Turbine), Bob Ferrari (Sanrio Digital), and Curt Schilling (38 Studios)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ayeshala_sl said:
Where do I got a summary of what was said? Searching for "Pax East future of MMO panel" all I can find is videos from a 2010 panel with a bunch of winners : Paul Barnett (Electronic Arts), Craig Alexander (Turbine), Bob Ferrari (Sanrio Digital), and Curt Schilling (38 Studios)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So general consensus is that this game was "Underwhelming", in which Qhue was trying to be nice there, and the one leaked mobile video showed horrid animations and the canned demo I knew would be there. Pretty telling when you have your president talking about Raph Koster style MMORPG debate instead of his own game which has been in development for 7 years.

Once this bombs, I wonder how long it will take before he is back on another project to fuck up. And then it will all repeat itself again.... For the third time.

My guess is Firor is already out there looking, and will be scapegoating either his team, their engine choice, or the MMORPG market shift (Which somewhat does / or doesn't exist depending on your opinion) to make sure he lands on his feet in 2014. I'm sure Rich Vogel will hire him over at Battlecry.

You're depressing as fuck, UT. But that's because you're probably right.
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

spronk

FPS noob
have they announced a pricing model yet? Rather than wow this game reminds me much more of GW2, especially with the 5 button max hotbar, weapon swapping, etc. I wonder when GW2 launched if they thought to themselves "fuck... that looks like our game!"

I do hope its b2p, a sub model for TESO is gonna be a really hard sell. A b2p+cash shop will be pretty easy to sell, unless the beta shows the game sucks (like defiance) it seems mediocore enough to enjoy for a few weeks at least. Like before SWTOR, everyone said its KOTOR3-6, this looks like its Skyrim-Prequel 1 & 2 without bringing a single new thing to the MMO world.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Yeah because a TRUE copy of wow but with houses is something to get excited about? Pass
As bad as things have been I would welcome a realWoW vanillacopy at this point as long as there are plenty of races, a huge world, classes with complexity and open world pvp servers.

It's amazing really for me to even say that but with the drivel that has been released since its like yeah, I will take it!!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah I'd have to agree. There has been so much casual shit released recently, ridiculously, that a true step back to Vanilla period might be a welcome change.

I think people see Elder Scrolls and think "Oh yeah how can that suck" and don't realize its not the same people making it.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The problem is that to really capture the true essence of TES you need something that is beyond the current generation of MMO capabilities. First and foremost you need a game system that is really robust with movement, physical actions, skills and magic that are all internally consistent. You then need to create a dynamic sandbox world for the players to operate in.

MMOs work currently because they operate like themeparks where you suspend disbelief regarding the overall world with respect to the content. Things respawn, multiple people are all working on the same quest where they are each the sole hero etc. TES / Fallout does not usually operate in that manner. Which you kill the bandit king burn his bandit camp it stays burned...it doesnt respawn a few minutes later for someone else to kill. Recent MMOs help things along with phasing, but there are only so many different conditional states that one can actively maintain and so this is limited to a few temporal milestones and has the potential to cause problems when trying to group with someone in a different phase.

I mention this because many of the things which make TES fun are things that are completely at odd with the reality of a shared multiplayer environment. In that respect I question whether it is even possible to make an Elder Scrolls MMO. I fear that the Elder Scrolls wont handle theme parkification, but I'm certain that a fully persistent shared world is not viable either.

The best possible scenario, in my view, would be as a MO, not a MMO. Establish the potential for players to create what ammounts to personalized servers with controlled invitations and membership so that you can share a persistent Skyrim-like world among several people, but not so many people that it turns into a wasteland of ruin.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For the Zenimax comment earlier - they've been a secondary site for Bethesda for close to a decade if not longer, largely in art assets I believe.