The Elder Scrolls Online

Vitality

HUSTLE
The adventure zone excerpt looks a bit interesting, I didn't click the link. Can anyone tell me the timestamp on it?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
ok, clicking that link, and then the video linked there..

It says the pts, "ALL players skip the starter islands. Everyone starts at the mainland city. content around the city has been re-tuned for players 3-6."
People heren't clear on that. sounded like people were suggesting you had to do the islands once, then on alts could skip. or other options.

Is that correct then? miracle patch does take you directly to the main city after tutorial?

If 1-6 was completely retuned.
And those islands are now optional. That really does change the entire 1-10 exeriance, and much of our discussion is moot.
the question then is, no really, what the fuck were they thinking having a stress test with an old build with a nearly unplayable 1-10 experience?
Because 0.18 broke magicka regen and guild structure. This was discussed several several pages back. Zenimax also told us they wanted to get feedback from closed beta testers about the 1-10 redesign before deploying it to weekend beta servers.

FWIW there are a LOT of complaints from the closed beta testers on how they implemented the starter area redesign. The large majority of testers stated that instead of starting you in the first major city and giving you the option of going back to the starter area, you should start in the starter area and be given the option to skip it. The rationale for this is to maintain the continuity of the main storyline quest.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Because 0.18 broke magicka regen and guild structure. This was discussed several several pages back. Zenimax also told us they wanted to get feedback from closed beta testers about the 1-10 redesign before deploying it to weekend beta servers.

FWIW there are a LOT of complaints from the closed beta testers on how they implemented the starter area redesign. The large majority of testers stated that instead of starting you in the first major city and giving you the option of going back to the starter area, you should start in the starter area and be given the option to skip it. The rationale for this is to maintain the continuity of the main storyline quest.
So instead of starting in a prison in hell, we start in a prison in a city. Well atleast we start in prison still. Hopefully they make the arbitrarily Gated PVE continue feeling like a Prison as well.

Prison this, prison that.
Who gives a fuck, I'm a cat.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a elf I sure went to prison a lot before hitting level 10. That cat guy was doing it in purpose for his own amusement.

signati_sl

shitlord
Made me laugh. Because ESO has the exact same crowd every MMO I've played had, except maybe very early EQ(and it turned into the usual as it got more popular)
Posting a screencap of /zone chat at the end of the beta session before this last one would probably get you banned from most websites
wink.png
But when you get down to the smaller groups, it's all bluster. I was on TS with a dude who was studying actual military history to buff up for Cyrodiil strategy, but from some of his zone chat you'd think he was some 12 year old on daddy's account. I hope people at ease that kind of crap when release hits, but I know better.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
What did you like best about vanilla WoW and TBC from a content perspective? Favorite dungeons and such? (Again, genuinely curious because you seem to like the PvE in this game)
Every dungeon instance in vanilla and TBC was high quality IMO. Deadmines and Scholomance probably my two favorites group dungeons. Karazhan was far and away best PVE raid experience followed by MC and BWL.

Caliane

Then the "1 million person" stress test should have been put off, if they wanted to test that content on the pts.

The game should never have been shown to the larger audience in that state.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
You know what, I like you. Because at least you are honest. Most people here think they are big social butterfly's that belong in a living MMO world where you are forced to group up.

You on the other hand freely admit you are an anti-social old fuck. I agree that ESO is 100% the game for you pal!
Can you guys just get to the dick-sucking in PMs? This level of shitting up the thread with just you two talking to each is beyond even our low standards.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Posting a screencap of /zone chat at the end of the beta session before this last one would probably get you banned from most websites
wink.png
But when you get down to the smaller groups, it's all bluster. I was on TS with a dude who was studying actual military history to buff up for Cyrodiil strategy, but from some of his zone chat you'd think he was some 12 year old on daddy's account. I hope people at ease that kind of crap when release hits, but I know better.
And it's the exact same way in every MMO. There is no "more mature crowd".

Vitality

HUSTLE
Then the "1 million person" stress test should have been put off, if they wanted to test that content on the pts.

They're marketing this game like a fat girl markets herself on a dating website.

Only the desperate fucks like me are going to bite and hang on for longer than a date or two.

Don't tell my GF about this analogy

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How populated is the PTS? Do they not have the population to test the problems that popped up on these weekends because of the amount of players? IE quest bugging constantly in certain instances, lag/delays galore in Cyro etc. Bug fixes are fine, but I'm worried they don't have the capacity to fix things that are related to server load, without nerfing it down more(players per campaign and per instances etc).

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

I assume they think it's more important to do a stress test and identify/fix all the kinks and bugs in the mega server architecture first before releasing content redesign to the weekend beta servers. You'll get a new patch the next time so if you are only playing the weekend betas to test drive the game before making a decision to buy it or not, you will have time.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
How populated is the PTS? Do they not have the population to test the problems that popped up on these weekends because of the amount of players? IE quest bugging constantly in certain instances, lag/delays galore in Cyro etc. Bug fixes are fine, but I'm worried they don't have the capacity to fix things that are related to server load, without nerfing it down more(players per campaign and per instances etc).
No idea really but I would guess no more than a couple thousand active testers at any given time. I would not be surprised if it was a lot less.

There is absolutely no way we will ever have enough testers online at the same time to conduct a legit stress test. That is why the #1 purpose of the weekend beta is for stress testing.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Can you guys just get to the dick-sucking in PMs? This level of shitting up the thread with just you two talking to each is beyond even our low standards.
I'm glad you have made this amazing post. This is a great first stride in getting this back on topic. Rhino helix is here to get us back on track everybody!

Vitality

HUSTLE
No idea really but I would guess no more than a couple thousand active testers at any given time. I would not be surprised if it was a lot less.

There is absolutely no way we will ever have enough testers online at the same time to conduct a legit stress test. That is why the #1 purpose of the weekend beta is for stress testing.
Well I hope they figured out the Cyrodil situation, because it was getting progressively worse as more people got 10 and piled into the zone.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I hope they figured out the Cyrodil situation, because it was getting progressively worse as more people got 10 and piled into the zone.
Ditto. It started Saturday as slight delays, maybe 2-3 seconds, sunday starting seeing 10-15 second delays and by late Sunday I was getting 30+ second delays and just had to quit. The bad thing is the lag was zone wide, it didn't matter what you were doing. I was sitting way back in the 2nd base camp doing some crafting and getting those same delays.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Every dungeon instance in vanilla and TBC was high quality IMO. Deadmines and Scholomance probably my two favorites group dungeons. Karazhan was far and away best PVE raid experience followed by MC and BWL.
Yeah I liked Deadmines. The end reminded me a lot of the movie The Goonies with the pirate ship in a big cave. Shadowfang Keep was one of my all time favorites. For some reason it reminded me a lot of the castle structure of Dragon's Lair even though they were games about 30 years apart. Scholomance after the revamp was a lot better in my opinion, but I cannot stand way too many trash mobs in an instance. It's fun going through all these again on my warrior and getting loot to Transmorg. Soloing some of these is hilarious fun. You also get to pick out which tiers of loot you think you will look best in.

Anyway, to mega server tech, the last patch (Weekend) to the server didn't seem to do much for the beta testers once they got to Cyrodil, and there were still lots of broken scripts. Aside from the game itself which we disagree on, let's at least hope they can get the infrastructure going to support what they hope to support so at least people can play Cyro for a few weeks.