The Elder Scrolls Online

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
On game note , how the fuck are they just now putting things like a fov slider and other things I assume should be part of any pc game , especially an mmo , weeks before launch ? I just don't get why this last minute shit is happening when it's has years for development.

(still have it preordered and looking forward to trying , especially PVP , but just seems some of what is in the Sage post would have been in and tested months ago )

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Mini hijack if don't mind , was curious if you (or anyone else with coding background ) has recommendations on the best language to start with learning any sort of coding ? I see it argued about all over , but would like hearing some of you folks recommendations.

My background is a Sys Engineer for around 15 years, so Active Directory to Exchange to Cisco and general networking is what I know about , but always on the side wanted to just pickup some sort of programming for the heck of it. Doesn't have to be something necessarily I would use for my Engineer job directly , more the idea of learning basics of coding beyond the scripting and Powershell stuff I do.
C++ is always a good answer for a first language, but the truth is that it depends on what you want to build. If you wanted to go beyond the shell scripting you use every day but still want to do IT/server/webstuff, python/php/javascript are good candidates. Those three are very similar.

Here's some threads that might help:
Learning Programming on Your Own
Rerolled

If you want more advice feel free to make a thread in the dev forum with more detail about your situation and where you want to go.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
C++ is always a good answer for a first language, but the truth is that it depends on what you want to build. If you wanted to go beyond the shell scripting you use every day but still want to do IT/server/webstuff, python/php/javascript are good candidates. Those three are very similar.

Rerolled

If you want more advice feel free to make a thread in the dev forum with more detail about your situation and where you want to go.
Ah many thanks , will go check those threads out , had no idea had something already like that on here.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Ah many thanks , will go check those threads out , had no idea had something already like that on here.
If you want to learn the Microsoft stack, then C# is fairly easy to learn (you could go VisualBasic if the C syntax looks weird). Tons of good books out there and Visual Studio is the best IDE out there.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does any other MMO offer an FOV slider? Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS and I don't think even that has built-in FOV customization.
WoW used to have one, but removed it. Several MMO's dont have it, after doing some research. I just didnt want to keep going on and on about how people are bitching for no apparent reason.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
On game note , how the fuck are they just now putting things like a fov slider and other things I assume should be part of any pc game , especially an mmo , weeks before launch ? I just don't get why this last minute shit is happening when it's has years for development.

(still have it preordered and looking forward to trying , especially PVP , but just seems some of what is in the Sage post would have been in and tested months ago )
I don't know of any MMOs with an FOV slider. The only games I've changed FOV is when I edited the config file.

Gecko_sl

shitlord

Rerolled

How I learned in the old days.

Nowadays, and really for the last decade the absolute best way to learn and get involved with programming is the open source community and Linux. If you have an old PC around, set it up on your home network and have it at. If you want to learn web stuff, I highly suggest LAMP on said Linux box. It's super easy to use, and learn, and still used in many shops. Everything is free and easy to setup and there are a ton of very helpful people. You'll be compiling and amazing yourself in no time.

I rarely code anymore, but C/Perl/Python/Shell are invaluable in many IT environments.

moontayle

Golden Squire
If you want to learn the Microsoft stack, then C# is fairly easy to learn (you could go VisualBasic if the C syntax looks weird). Tons of good books out there and Visual Studio is the best IDE out there.
Have to be careful with VB though. If you're used to a shell environment then it'll seem backwards. I aced my VB course but never could get over the idea that it seemed like I was doing things in the wrong order.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The following stream is doing a giveaway of a Digital Stand Edition ESO at 9:30. Follow the Stream and register on their website. The guys are doing a Drinking Game while they play PVE content. Hes level 17 on the Private Test Server.

Twitch Feed Link

Website Signup Link(Under someone named Picasso, dont think its our Picasso.)

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Mini hijack if don't mind , was curious if you (or anyone else with coding background ) has recommendations on the best language to start with learning any sort of coding ? I see it argued about all over , but would like hearing some of you folks recommendations.

My background is a Sys Engineer for around 15 years, so Active Directory to Exchange to Cisco and general networking is what I know about , but always on the side wanted to just pickup some sort of programming for the heck of it. Doesn't have to be something necessarily I would use for my Engineer job directly , more the idea of learning basics of coding beyond the scripting and Powershell stuff I do.
Do you want to make money, or do you want to code for coding's sake / cool interesting stuff? There's a difference.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There isn't unless all cool/interesting code is useless.
Stuff that makes the most money is usually maintaining business processes. Usually poring over a heaping pile of junk in banking code. Been there, wrote my Cobol, saved my soul quickly.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
There isn't unless all cool/interesting code is useless.
It's not really about useful/useless. It's how much money someone will pay. If money is your only consideration, don't get into pure development. It's not worth it (but yes, more cool/interesting).

edit: ukerric answered for me.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I don't know of any MMOs with an FOV slider. The only games I've changed FOV is when I edited the config file.
No mmo since EQ has needed one, first person hasn't been viable since EQ that I know of. Every mmo since then has focused on third person.

Very good that they add it now, but it is fairly obvious that they are not building the game with first person in mind, but rather something they did later with the outcry of elder scrolls fans (because I don't think I've ever actively played any of those games in third person).

I enjoy first person far more than third, so always stick to that if that is an option.

Question about that, anyone know if there are any plans to make the player visible while in first person? Like the legs and such if looking down?

I doubt you'll get first person player draws, but I amveryhappy they are putting in that FOV slider. I'm one who tends to be sensitive to FOV and such in FP games and always need to adjust it. And I really enjoyed FP mode in ESO, too which means its now a viable way for me to play the game (at least PvE, not sure about group content yet in FP mode).

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I prefer first-person much more. The third-person animation is somewhat sloppy. No head turning, no posture turning during mouse look is just lazy!

signati_sl

shitlord
The way I see it, MMO's should be fun from the outset. The first ten levels of TESO is a tedious, mind-numbing grind. Sure, if you re-roll it will go faster, especially if you breeze through the diarrhea waterfall of dialogue. While I agree that we have not even scratched the surface of the game - for me, those first ten levels are downright awful. My opinion is not based on bugs. My opinion is based entirely on content.
Since we're comparing this with EQ, let's look at how far we've come on these terms. I think that will get to the core of what is really being said here (and that thing being said is something I agree with wholeheartedly).

My first EQ character. I had a little background playing a druid in D&D with friends when we were stoned and had nothing else to do. I'd use buffs and tank, so I tried that in EQ. Nope. I had a little background playing a wizard in a MUD, so I tried nuking things to ash before they got to me. Nope. I found a partner (warrior), kept him healed, and we ran a few small quests in Qeynos. He logged off, and I was the only one there, so having gotten the hint about teamwork, I decided to relocate to some place better populated. The nine hour journey from Qeynos to Greater Faydark is something that I look back on fondly; a long, dangerous, nervous journey.

That character was level three when I finally arrived, still with no idea about how to play my class. After binding, groups could be found that would inevitably wipe on the first pull, so teamwork seemed to be out until we got stronger. My next few play sessions were spent finding things that either died seemingly if my character breathed in their general direction and other things that killed my character when they breathed in his general direction. No xp or death, with quests that I couldn't find a group to complete. This lull in advancement lasted two weeks before enough people had learned their class well enough that we could work together.

MMOs have come a long, long way, and we have WoW to thank for bringing questing back to the forefront of advancement. The Elder Scrolls fits with that very well too, and the progression in the early single player games is (I think) mirrored about as well as it can be in a MMO. But what does it take for that experience to be particularly good these days? Players are getting that, "I've done this routine before..." feeling; especially those who cut their MMO baby teeth on WoW.

It takes something totally new; the kind of thing that comes along rarely. I agree that innovation in the early game is something needed now in MMOs. I don't agree that ESO doesn't innovate in general, as their class and role system is the first I've seen to bring freedom to Trinity by making it cartesian. Axis 1: the familiar heal, tank, DPS. Axis 2: melee, magic, stealth. I do agree that there is no innovation in the early game, aside from the way that the story is told.

Let's talk about innovation now. It means doing something new. Change. Well, change means risk. Change everything, people hate it. Change nothing, people hate it. It's just a symptom of WoW syndrome: too much like WoW, "Great another WoW clone," too little like WoW and people complain because it's not what they're used to. Now, back up through these pages and check other sources of opinion too. What they have done differently, they've taken risk with. And predictably, as many people seemingly hate it as love it. So, RvR, phasing, Cartesian Trinity class building... How many risks should one game take?

I never saw druids like what I was used to again until I played the first Neverwinter Nights. There's something to be said for what people are used to. Maybe I look a little bit like a fanboi, but my frame of reference for a first (graphical) MMO experience is spending weeks on a treadmill learning poorly documented things about a game and essentially experiencing nothing but repeated defeat and discouragement. And that with a general player population who liked to pretend they knew what they were doing but didn't advance any quicker than I did. Early MMOs set the bar so low that it's hard for some of us not to feel a bit spoiled by the much greater quality of experience newer games offer in general.