The Elder Scrolls Online

Drednots_sl

shitlord
I bitched I was not going to play this and quit Saturday but I changed my mind. I got up early Sunday and started a Earthen/ fire warrior 2Her without any hopes of completing quests. Grinding in dungeons as some have said is the way to go. You lvl just as fast and get TONS of loot for crafting. Every 15-30 minutes I was gating back to town to craft.
I got cloth/leatherworking, blacksmithing, woodworking up to lvl 8 ....& enchanting lvl 4 by the time I hit level 11. The gear I crafted without buying anything was overpowered and dps was going really getting up there by the time I quit Sunday night. My gear was getting better looking, etc..
The crafting combo with grinding was enough for me to give it another whirl on 4/14.

I bitched I was not going to play this and quit Saturday but I changed my mind. I got up early Sunday and started a Earthen/ fire warrior 2Her without any hopes of completing quests. Grinding in dungeons as some have said is the way to go. You lvl just as fast and get TONS of loot for crafting. Every 15-30 minutes I was gating back to town to craft.
I got cloth/leatherworking, blacksmithing, woodworking up to lvl 8 ....& enchanting lvl 4 by the time I hit level 11. The gear I crafted without buying anything was overpowered and dps was going really getting up there by the time I quit Sunday night. My gear was getting better looking, etc..
The crafting combo with grinding was enough for me to give it another whirl on 4/14.
I like it. Did you have to find other dungeons? I was thinking of DUOing and trying some of the harder ones.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I don't know who these people were that were saying the combat in this game is hard.

I never played this game before Friday, fucked around all Saturday with learning what stuff was and getting through buggy quests, and Sunday ended up Level 12 killing/farming Level 17 shit with average gear on. My 'build'?

Rolled a sorcerer but because I couldn't find a staff until five levels later (no joke), I used a bow. Regular bow at first, got some green Eagle bow from a quest after that. Opened up with a long pull for damage, then quick shot Poison arrow (weird, you can do that almost instantly too), hop around like an idiot while shooting bow, nuke with some lightning from hands twice, then boom. Later put Soul Trap on them to fill gems. Maxed magicka threw the rest of the points in HPs.

I found that it wasn't really worth putting points into 'stuns' or roots for PvE. All you had to do was dps them until they did their 'Hold on, I'm attacking you' move and then hold block and they autostunned themselves for a few seconds. Pretty dumb mobs.

The armor I used was all white and green shit that dropped. I didn't craft until around level 10 when I made and wore mostly heavy armor around my cloth robe. (found it way easier to see/find ore than wood or jute)

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I'm in. Had a good and fun time last weekend. Fix the bugs and cure the lag and it's good to go. I'm now waiting impatiently, surprisingly. What faction is everyone rolling? What PvP realm?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know who these people were that were saying the combat in this game is hard.

I never played this game before Friday, fucked around all Saturday with learning what stuff was and getting through buggy quests, and Sunday ended up Level 12 killing/farming Level 17 shit with average gear on. My 'build'?

Rolled a sorcerer but because I couldn't find a staff until five levels later (no joke), I used a bow. Regular bow at first, got some green Eagle bow from a quest after that. Opened up with a long pull for damage, then quick shot Poison arrow (weird, you can do that almost instantly too), hop around like an idiot while shooting bow, nuke with some lightning from hands twice, then boom. Later put Soul Trap on them to fill gems. Maxed magicka threw the rest of the points in HPs.

I found that it wasn't really worth putting points into 'stuns' or roots for PvE. All you had to do was dps them until they did their 'Hold on, I'm attacking you' move and then hold block and they autostunned themselves for a few seconds. Pretty dumb mobs.

The armor I used was all white and green shit that dropped. I didn't craft until around level 10 when I made and wore mostly heavy armor around my cloth robe. (found it way easier to see/find ore than wood or jute)
Evntually the mobs hit hard enough that you do need to dodge them instead of blocking. One of the complaints is how long it takes to get to the "hard" content.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Eh why worry about crap like that.
Dudes not going to say "We plan a bug-ridden, messy launch with fucked up phasing and soul-crushing lag"

im curious doesanyoneenjoy the (pve)combat? it seemed pretty dull to me, worse for an action game I was getting hit by strikes that missed by two feet and not getting plenty of hits where sword went right through the guy. Besides that it's not really exceptionally bad combat but it seems very much below avg to meh.

At this point I may just go buy a few plex in eve instead of this.
Not "worried" at all about it , more amused he's stupid enough to "promise a smooth and lag free launch".

Does them no good to say this now , as will that promise really make anyone who was on the fence buy it because Firor now promises no problems at launch ? All it really will do is bite them worse after the fact.

I'm just amused he made the promise as I've seen no evidence that this will be the case. Most devs know better than to say we will have a smooth and lag free launch with standard server architecture , this mega server bit seems to be asking for worse than usual problems.

I guess his wiggle room will be his definition of "smooth and lag free" though.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So Firor's post last week about promising a "polished and lag free launch experience" has me intrigued. They have some huge array of servers ready to come online instantly at launch or just going for all the box sales they can get and already ready to apologize and admit he shouldn't have said or promised such ?
What you saw the last two beta weekends will be about 50 times worse on launch. This includes early access even though they staggered that as well.

I have no idea why anyone is putting up with this in a retail product when there are countless entertainment value adds out there that work, and work well.

Because for all intents and purposes, the PvP does * Not * work when the server is shitting itself like it constantly has. They are in pure damage control mode right now and doing anything they can to save/add box sales from preorders. At this point the content itself is even irrelevant. PvE is notably bad for a lot of people (From a subjective stand point) while PvP seems to make up for that. The PvP doesn't matter either when the server is shitting itself for a month.

I was holding off posting this, but I was also told that there is no open beta because they know they can't fix the issues, and if they hold an open without any corrections from now until actual launch, they will see a cancellation in preorders, more than what they have already. (And I was also told they have seen a severe increase in cancelled preorders from online retailers)

Drednots_sl

shitlord
I did it all in one dungeon (forgot name) so exp is limited in them but it carried me from lvl 6-11 pretty fast. I have not grouped yet buy will probably around lvl 20. Most interested in crafting as I level (for the first time ever). I usually want to blast through content and rely on drops and buying the gear. This time I won't. It's another question if I tire of the game the first month unless content stays interesting enough...we'll see.

*edit* meant to reply to Dmitry

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I'm in. Had a good and fun time last weekend. Fix the bugs and cure the lag and it's good to go.
Haven't you heard?

Bethesda promises 'lag-free' launch for Elder Scrolls Online

Not only will it be completely polished, but there will be NO lag. Matt Firor stamped and approved.
rolleyes.png

I was holding off posting this, but I was also told that there is no open beta because they know they can't fix the issues, and if they hold an open without any corrections from now until actual launch, they will see a cancellation in preorders, more than what they have already. (And I was also told they have seen a severe increase in cancelled preorders from online retailers)
Meh. Those are most fence sitters. This game will have enough people to go for awhile I think... reading the in-game chat, I've seen a level of rabidness only found in SWTOR. Besides, what are those people going to leave TESO for?

Wildstar? Nope. ArcheAge? The TESO fanbase I've seen strikes me as that type of person that goes"Ewwwwwww.... it's all Asiany and shit". WoW's expansion? Don't think so. The only competition for this PvP centric game is DAoC on life support, a handful of Kickstarter funded indies like Pathfinder Online and Camelot Unchained
smile.png
and Darkfall.

No matter how good, bad or average this game turns out, those people aren't going anywhere. They'll have to believe everything Firor says they know isn't true, because the alternative is too crushing to face in the short term.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
So Firor's post last week about promising a "polished and lag free launch experience" has me intrigued. They have some huge array of servers ready to come online instantly at launch or just going for all the box sales they can get and already ready to apologize and admit he shouldn't have said or promised such ?
This screams the question of why weren't these servers being used for last weeks beta to make the game appear smooth to those of us in question in regards to buying the game?

I think they'll fix the issues, but this sales job isn't very good, and my guess is release will be rocky.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
This screams the question of why weren't these servers being used for last weeks beta to make the game appear smooth to those of us in question in regards to buying the game?

I think they'll fix the issues, but this sales job isn't very good, and my guess is release will be rocky.
I've been reading people on forums telling those who ask what you asked:

"Oh, you're just playing on the old build. There's a lag-free and polished build on the PTS they haven't shown yet".

The replies?

"Cool, I'll pre-order then."

Seriously.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

"Oh, you're just playing on the old build. There's a lag-free and polished build on the PTS they haven't shown yet".

The replies?

Seriously.
It doesn't shock me in the slightest that they didn't have all the hardware online the last beta weekend; its way more overhead to handle a larger farm of infrastructure and software, particularly when all of that data and those databases are going to get blown away and have to be rebuilt shortly. You are testing the build, not the infrastructure directly, although I would expect there is testing built into the project plan as they stand up the rest of the farm. It's SOP to do it that way, really.

I did spend a lot of time telling people we were playing on the latest build in the last test but if you get upset by stupid people on the internet, that is a tough row to hoe.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Wait, the game was lagging this previous weekend? I think I got kicked out of the game maybe once in my 20 hour session. It was right as my group was assaulting a keep in cyrodil. Of which we were able to instantly get back into the game and didn't lose much progress on the keep. Other then that it was fine.

We weren't in Auriels Bow though.. so that might be it. But I mean, Auriels bow was 1000 vs 1000 slugfest so I expect there to be stability issues.

I guess if it was a framerate issue, I can understand, I have gods computer so I'm not subject to that demographic.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

The replies?

Seriously.
This never changes with any other MMORPG release either. Zenimax uses the same viral marketing company that EA does for the Battlefield series.

Obviously some of that isn't viral, but some is. I guess no one can blame them (When it comes to ethics, sure - but I don't think there is anyone out there with ethics anymore in this industry aside from a few good folks just working on the games behind the scenes) when it comes to knowing they fucked the pooch now for good, and need to recoup as much investment as they can. Box sales is the way to go. So it is what it is.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
This never changes with any other MMORPG release either. Zenimax uses the same viral marketing company that EA does for the Battlefield series.

Obviously some of that isn't viral, but some is. I guess no one can blame them (When it comes to ethics, sure - but I don't think there is anyone out there with ethics anymore in this industry aside from a few good folks just working on the games behind the scenes) when it comes to knowing they fucked the pooch now for good, and need to recoup as much investment as they can. Box sales is the way to go. So it is what it is.
Maybe they did figure it all out at Zenimax and the launch will be 'lag free' and 'polished'. I don't know.

My only thing is someone I don't know from Adam to tell me 'it's all good' and then me running out to buy it, especially when the version I just played was supposed to be the one the company was trying to sell me on as a first-time player. There isn't any guarantee that the game will be any good after 3 days of play, but personally Funcom sold me Age of Conan based on Tortage, even though the rest of the game was shit mainly.

If they had told me the game was fun and polished, I would have bought the game after seeing that in their last beta. This game makes me want to run the other way thinking "If the easy shit isn't finished, how in Hell is the hard shit done?", that's all.

Btw.. I didn't think the game itself was horrible as you've been saying, to be clear. The two hours I spent in Cyro wasn't that bad and I didn't crash out, but then I didn't check to see how many people were there at the time.

I can tell you have a grudge against the company or someone there which isn't quite sane, but you were definitely right about a lot of things. I still think they will have enough of their fans clinging onto the game after three months unless you're right about that open beta stuff you just said. The game is decent enough for them.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I can tell you have a grudge against the company or someone there which isn't quite sane, but you were definitely right about a lot of things. I still think they will have enough of their fans clinging onto the game after three months unless you're right about that open beta stuff you just said. The game is decent enough for them.
That grudge is there simply because of the process they detail when developing games. Nothing personal about it (As on a personal level) but knowing the 10 or so names in this genre known for some pretty shady development and business process, makes it pretty cut and dry. We are seeing that now. We will unfortunately see it again.

That said, people here haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg. Whether you like the content or not doesn't even matter. When this goes live it will be a major technological clusterfuck of epic proportions. It will be interesting to watch. Without spending 60 bucks.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
That grudge is there simply because of the process they detail when developing games. Nothing personal about it (As on a personal level) but knowing the 10 or so names in this genre known for some pretty shady development and business process, makes it pretty cut and dry. We are seeing that now. We will unfortunately see it again.

That said, people here haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg. Whether you like the content or not doesn't even matter. When this goes live it will be a major technological clusterfuck of epic proportions. It will be interesting to watch. Without spending 60 bucks.
This is probably the best MMO out since WoW.

* It has mass PvP, if you want. Cyrridel(sp?) is like someone dropped a better Darkfall into my ESO.
* It has engaging PvE quests if you want. Want to play in Third or 1st-person? Done.
* The game has interesting skill trees for various builds and players can weapon swap and change roles mid-combat.
* There is an interesting crafting system, where players can craft items with racial appearances.
* The world is huge and has many POI's.
* Graphics are good. Not great, but good.

I just dont see what there is to rail against. ESO is not an indie game where a revolution in MMO's is going to happen. What ESO is though, is asolidgaming experience for MMO lovers.

At this point, I truly think Ut works for Blizzard/SoE and is a shill. No one is this obsessed with something they have no regard for.

Caliane

This is probably the best MMO out since WoW.

* It has mass PvP, if you want. Cyrridel(sp?) is like someone dropped a better Darkfall into my ESO.
* It has engaging PvE quests if you want. Want to play in Third or 1st-person? Done.
* The game has interesting skill trees for various builds and players can weapon swap and change roles mid-combat.
* There is an interesting crafting system, where players can craft items with racial appearances.
* The world is huge and has many POI's.
* Graphics are good. Not great, but good.

I just dont see what there is to rail against. ESO is not an indie game where a revolution in MMO's is going to happen. What ESO is though, is asolidgaming experience for MMO lovers.

At this point, I truly think Ut works for Blizzard/SoE and is a shill. No one is this obsessed with something they have no regard for.
haha. what even the heck?

moontayle

Golden Squire
That looks exactly like a list I made when DAoC was about 9 months old where I compared what I liked about it compared to EQ. The list included things like "the jumping animation is much better", or something stupid along those lines.

It sounds like someone trying to convince themselves that they're making the right choice.