The Elder Scrolls Online

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Regarding the API changes: they're trying to keep people from automating parts of the game. As it was, you could run a third party client that would automatically cast your interrupt, rebuff yourself, etc. That shit is gay, and I'm glad they're limiting it.
You're stating this as fact.

Do you know it to be true or are you guessing ?

Menion_sl

shitlord
So, we are talking about from what I gathered last night:
- Not being able to see any buff on your own character unless it's duration is greater than 30 seconds (Back to spamming "C" to see what's on your character I guess)
- Not being able to see HoTs or DoTs on other players/NPCs that you cast (How the hell are you supposed to heal effectively if you don't know when to purge or refresh a HoT?)
- Being able to see incoming damage but not being able to see where it came from (That's really useful)

These are basic items that have been available to players in every MMO in the last 10 years. Yes, I agree that if their API allowed or welcomed botting then it should have been fixed long ago. But these changes are a knee jerk reaction 10 days prior to launch because they listened to the press who barely played the fucking game and the "Immersion" mouth breathers. I really hope they get torn a new one during the Reddit AMA today. But knowing this company and the complete lack of feedback they have given to their testers I doubt they will take any hardball questions.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You're stating this as fact.

Do you know it to be true or are you guessing ?
Pretty much all true. The 3rd party scripts that automate the reactive combat abilities is what had so many complaining. In order to prevent that, ZOS went overboard and pretty much gutted the entire API.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much all true. The 3rd party scripts that automate the reactive combat abilities is what had so many complaining. In order to prevent that, ZOS went overboard and pretty much gutted the entire API.
To the point where not only should people be worried anything works when logging in, but now when you log in you cannot even tell where damage is coming from in PvP, or have buff timers, or... anything else that makes a game a game.

Why the fuck are people buying this? It seems like an experiment in how low the genre can sink and still sell boxes. Seriously.

Edit: Push the launch date back to May 4th, get an extra month in to test the new instance progression queing system, with AN OPEN BETA ONGOING FOR 3 WEEKS FOR DYNAMIC ADJUSTMENT - adjust the API's and take care of what needs to be taken care of there without gutting the entire game, and release something at least somewhat playable. Christ.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
- Not being able to see any buff on your own character unless it's duration is greater than 30 seconds (Back to spamming "C" to see what's on your character I guess)
- Not being able to see HoTs or DoTs on other players/NPCs that you cast (How the hell are you supposed to heal effectively if you don't know when to purge or refresh a HoT?)
- Being able to see incoming damage but not being able to see where it came from (That's really useful)

These are basic items that have been available to players in every MMO in the last 10 years. Yes, I agree that if their API allowed or welcomed botting then it should have been fixed long ago. But these changes are a knee jerk reaction 10 days prior to launch because they listened to the press who barely played the fucking game and the "Immersion" mouth breathers. I really hope they get torn a new one during the Reddit AMA today. But knowing this company and the complete lack of feedback they have given to their testers I doubt they will take any hardball questions.
Gold star post.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

I'll give them some credit for doing all this crap before launch and not after they have their money. Usually we have to wait for this level of lack of feedback & random nerfs.

Vitality

HUSTLE
These devs are making mistake after mistake. Kind of sad really because Cyrodil is pretty legit.
Tons of my friends are canceling because of the recent development. Hmm.

In many cases, I would decide whom to attack simple by targeting them and seeing the spec, class and gear. I can think of many times in open world PvP where I would target someone who was questing and then decide not to attack because it was a class or spec that was difficult.

By contrast, after these changes, you are going in completely blind. You don't know how the enemy is specced, you can't tell how good their gear is easily, you don't really know much info at all. Hell, with the class system the way it is, it won't even be easy to tell the class of the character. Since all classes can wear any armor and use any weapons, there are very few reference points to make it easy to tell class.

Its almost like walking into a bar and picking a fight with a random guy. You might get a pansy that has no idea how to fight but, then again, you might get a black belt in judo that will hand you your ass. Itmightadd an interesting facet to PvP. I don't know, I am just too used to having tons of information before, during and after the battle.
Hmm yeah good point. Ganking in WoW is basically: (1) target some guy and (2) decide with ~90% certainty if you can kill him based on health (i.e. gear) and class. Not being able to see enemy class, health, mana, cast bars, etc. will make PVP a hell of a lot more of a gamble.

At first I thought it sounded dumb but this will certainly lead to less "playing the UI". Not transmitting that info would also make for more efficient network traffic. Assuming they don't transmit that is, and not just hide it from the local API. In the later case hacks could use it anyway.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
I for one welcome the complete gutting of the UI - I look forward to stacking CHA on my DE warrior so that NPC's regard him in a better light
wink.png

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Edit: Push the launch date back to May 4th, get an extra month in to test the new instance progression queing system...
Not a valid option anymore than someone putting a whole new engine in is. The problem is the timeframe. This close to launch it would be like trying to make a hard turn to starboard on a ocean oil tanker.

Pushing back (however the right thing it may be) will be certainly viewed as a public sign that the company not only isn't confident in it's product, but that they have no idea what they are doing. Then you'd have twice as many cancelling than are just talking about it now. Imagine trying to explain all this to the same people who wanted the changes in the first place.

I don't recall any major mmos cancelling this close to launch ever, but then again I haven't followed all of them since they appeared.

I for one welcome the complete gutting of the UI - I look forward to stacking CHA on my DE warrior so that NPC's regard him in a better light
wink.png
Hahah that made me laugh. This game has the single worst UI in the history of MMOs. It was only redeemed by the fact that it had a fairly open API and some great developers.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Will be interesting to see if they get bombarded with questions about it for the AmA today.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The shitty thing is, if you look at the reddit posts complaining about the api changes, you have fuckloads of people defending it. So if anything, the AMA might convince them they are in the right.

Anyway, its a complete dealbreaker for me unless they roll the shit back hard. I am not playing an MMO without a fucking combat log again or basic UI functionality.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To the point where not only should people be worried anything works when logging in, but now when you log in you cannot even tell where damage is coming from in PvP, or have buff timers, or... anything else that makes a game a game. .
a lot of the addons wernt needed and its all a bit of an overreaction. while being able to see buffs etc are pretty much required, being able to see where damage is coming from in PvP should not be in a game. you shouldnt be able to tell what your fighting just by hightlighting it, etc.

oh, and anyone overly disatisfied feel free to toss me a PTS account so i can try this more before i choose whether to buy or not.

The shitty thing is, if you look at the reddit posts complaining about the api changes, you have fuckloads of people defending it. So if anything, the AMA might convince them they are in the right.

Anyway, its a complete dealbreaker for me unless they roll the shit back hard. I am not playing an MMO without a fucking combat log again or basic UI functionality.
I could live without the log.. i cannot live without that idiot UI being modded to the hilt. It's especially bad for healers.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
, being able to see where damage is coming from in PvP should not be in a game. you shouldnt be able to tell .
Why? What exactly does it hurt, if I want to see what just hit me for 500 damage? Maybe I put up a defensive buff but still get hit with something super hard, I want to see what that was. It doesn't effect other players, its things happening to me. I don't need to see who cast it, but I would like to see what ability did it. Though not allowing the who cast it is quite silly. I'm in a 1v1 fight and can put my reticule over the other player and get his name and level but my combat log doesn't know who is hitting me.

This is especially true for debuffs on me.

When I die , I want to look at the damage that killed me and what abilities it took. So I can tailor my defensives and know what to look for in the future.

Imo anything that I cast or hits me, I should be able to see. I don't need to see buffs on others,while its nice, so you know when not to unload on someone as they have a bunch of defensive abilities up, I can live without it. But I want to see my buffs or buffs I put on others, I want to see debuffs on me and I want to see debuffs I cast on others.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Why? What exactly does it hurt, if I want to see what just hit me for 500 damage? Maybe I put up a defensive buff but still get hit with something super hard, I want to see what that was. It doesn't effect other players, its things happening to me. I don't need to see who cast it, but I would like to see what ability did it.

This is especially true for debuffs on me.

When I die , I want to look at the damage that killed me and what abilities it took. So I can tailor my defensives and know what to look for in the future.

Imo anything that I cast or hits me, I should be able to see. I don't need to see buffs on others,while its nice, so you know when not to unload on someone as they have a bunch of defensive abilities up, I can live without it. But I want to see my buffs or buffs I put on others, I want to see debuffs on me and I want to see debuffs I cast on others.
Yep. This is what I would like to know when playing PvP in case there is something I can do better with my class abilities to avoid the same type of death. If I am being mangled by a certain ability, how can I mitigate that in the future. It's actually fun doing those sorts of things and analyzing them.