The Elder Scrolls Online

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's interesting how wanting basic information has turned into those players wanting the most extreme addons.

Seriously? This guy's UI talks to him. And look at how busy that screen is. I think ESO is going for a different style.
Eso doesn't know what they want, they just flop back and forth to whoever cries the loudest.

It wont last long. The purist are a small minority, once the masses hit they will scream to get the info back, especially once their raids are opened.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Last time I played WoW, healing on my shaman had been turned into a shitty game of whack-a-mole.
Yea after being forced to respec to resto shaman to raid and then being forced to play whack a mole, I have refused to ever play a healer in any MMO since then. I will play a tank or DPS.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Last time I played WoW, healing on my shaman had been turned into a shitty game of whack-a-mole. Staring at raid frames trying to mouse over them as quick as possible. DPS'ing wasn't even that much better.. I forgot what mod it was but it used to flash symbols for the optimal dps rotation. There was even a mod that had graphical queues of where to run in raid encounters. Even though the mods never technically "played" for you, it was way to over automated imho. I guess I'm in the minority and am kind of glad they are limited what mods can do.
I don't want to start an epeen contest, but I spent most of my time in WoW on raid healing duty (as opposed to tank healing duty where sometimes you heal exactly one person in an encounter...) as a priest and if you're just starting at bars playing whack-a-mole you're not hitting the skillcap.

Even with grid showing me an up to date account for the health of everyone it's imperative that one constantly keeps an eye on everyone they're responsible for and not just reacts to damage but anticipates it. One should also keep track of each person's propensity to take damage and know how each person will react to damage. Each encounter has its own raid damage it throws out, and starting a heal for someone you know is about to get hit with something will help them survive it.

tldr: Even if an MMO gives you raid bars to play whack-a-mole with, the only reason to follow that path is because you're lazy.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I don't want to start an epeen contest, but I spent most of my time in WoW on raid healing duty (as opposed to tank healing duty where sometimes you heal exactly one person in an encounter...) as a priest and if you're just starting at bars playing whack-a-mole you're not hitting the skillcap.

Even with grid showing me an up to date account for the health of everyone it's imperative that one constantly keeps an eye on everyone they're responsible for and not just reacts to damage but anticipates it. One should also keep track of each person's propensity to take damage and know how each person will react to damage. Each encounter has its own raid damage it throws out, and starting a heal for someone you know is about to get hit with something will help them survive it.

tldr: Even if an MMO gives you raid bars to play whack-a-mole with, the only reason to follow that path is because you're lazy.
Maybe so but IMO there are two types of healers: those who heal because they enjoy playing a healer in MMOs and those who were forced to play a healer because the raid needed more healers. I hate healing in MMOs and will freely admit I suck at it, primarily because it gives me a headache paying attention to other player's health bars instead of just focusing on my own. I used any addon in WoW that made healing easier so I could pay as little attention to it as possible.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can't believe people would actually defend not being able to see hots or dots, basic fundamental shit that is in every MMO. Sounds like something was being automated in the game and they have some shitty engineers and just had to fucking yank everything to stop some exploit.

Zx88_sl

shitlord

When I raid healed in WOTLK, shaman chain heal consisted of playing whack-a-mole. Had nothing to do with being lazy. It was the most effective way to heal the heroic content. Divide the groups up and spam chain heal on them while refreshing your dinky little dot every 8 seconds for the healing buff. Maybe modern day WoW raiding content is different but that's how I remember it.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The thing is UT, you dont come across as an honest broker. IF you were not chronically critical of the game, the discussions could take place more seriously.

I admit though, I have never cared about add-ons. I used a DPS gauge for a while in WoW. I never even considered that this level of vitriol could be thrown overtemporarychanges to how mods/add-ons work. Maybe certain players need anadvantagethat badly?

I have my disappointments with the game. I just read on reddit that chat bubbles are out. Well, shit. I like chat bubles and I'm not happy about the fact that they will not be in-game. I am not going to begin a crusade.
You are fucking talking about chat bubbles? That's what you are critical about?

How about being forced to Segway into an instance to even play the thing without a friends list or guild because the server isn't as advertised? Maybe you should start there and be critical of that instead. Ya think?

Honest broker. That's rich coming from a guy whose main disappointment with the game isn't that it is fucking broken at it's core, but because you cannot see chat bubbles pop up.

Aside from all the other broken shit such as itemization, passover quality with 17+ content, a broken phasing system, the dependence on PvE to be effective in PvP, a completely fucked User Interface, ability lag, a now defunct API system, not seeing HOTs or buffs on your character which I think I saw in games since Shadow of Yserbius, animations, and about 54 things not listed; chat bubbles.

Chat bubbles.

Fuck me running. Chat bubbles.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

How about being forced to Segway into an instance to even play the thing without a friends list or guild because the server isn't as advertised? Maybe you should start there and be critical of that instead. Ya think?

Honest broker. That's rich coming from a guy whose main disappointment with the game isn't that it is fucking broken at it's core, but because you cannot see chat bubbles pop up.

Aside from all the other broken shit such as itemization, passover quality with 17+ content, a broken phasing system, the dependence on PvE to be effective in PvP, a completely fucked User Interface, ability lag, a now defunct API system, not seeing HOTs or buffs on your character which I think I saw in games since Shadow of Yserbius, animations, and about 54 things not listed; chat bubbles.

Chat bubbles.

ya your right, i really wish there was chat bubbles too.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Maybe so but IMO there are two types of healers: those who heal because they enjoy playing a healer in MMOs and those who were forced to play a healer because the raid needed more healers.
I always thought it was

1) those who are good at it
2) and those who suck at it

..at least that's all I ever cared about. To wit, I didn't care if the healer had 10 mods and played with one finger.. just so long as he filled my bar when it was needed.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I have already expressed how WoW addons became so required that on several attempts to restart playing, I gave out trying to figure which I needed. And they were needed, because the default UI was(is?) so bad; it could be that bad because Blizz outsourced real improvements to the community at large.
This isn't true at all, there were actually a bunch of us who played with zero UI mods (aside from DPS meters) and we were among server firsts + some of them hit gladiator.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When I raid healed in WOTLK, shaman chain heal consisted of playing whack-a-mole. Had nothing to do with being lazy. It was the most effective way to heal the heroic content. Divide the groups up and spam chain heal on them while refreshing your dinky little dot every 8 seconds for the healing buff. Maybe modern day WoW raiding content is different but that's how I remember it.
Yeah I can't speak to shaman healing in wotlk, but I do remember our shaman healers being annoyed at how basic it was.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm really pissed there aren't chat bubbles in this game >.<
I look at the backs of boxes now. It better have chat bubbles or else. I don't care if I can't log on and actually play and progress while seeing my friends and guild. If I don't see some type of round circle chat above the heads, it's all over.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Can't believe people would actually defend not being able to see hots or dots, basic fundamental shit that is in every MMO. Sounds like something was being automated in the game and they have some shitty engineers and just had to fucking yank everything to stop some exploit.
Good thing you wont have to believe it then because not one person in this thread has defended not being ale to see buffs and debuffs. It's dumb and needs to be changed asap.

Blackwulf

N00b
I was trying to see what their reasoning could be. Shocking, I know, trying to see the other side of an argument. I really think that their motives have to do with avoiding people using the API to trigger bots, even bots as simple as casting your short term buffs automatically. I'm sure they'll walk back some API functionality as time goes on. Nothing to panic about, kids.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah I can't speak to shaman healing in wotlk, but I do remember our shaman healers being annoyed at how basic it was.
Druid was WG / reju raid healing, shm was chain healing / riptide, paladin was beacon + HL spam (god-tier tank healers), and priest was all over the place--but disc bubbles were super popular. Priest has always been the most varied healer. Not neccessarily the best throughput, but certainly interesting. Their chakra mechanic now still holds this to be true.

Felmega_sl

shitlord

Chat bubbles.

Lets go over this stupid list of half subjective crap.

1. "Broken Itemization" - ? You'll have to elaborate. You seem to have reached endgame and tested out gear before the rest of us even made it off the first island.
2. "passover quality with 17+ content" We all know that later levels tend to suffer at release of all MMO's. This is nothing new, unless youre new to MMO's. Ut, you new to MMO's? You make the decision to buy on release day, no one forces you.
3. "a broken phasing system" Yes. this was annoying, and almost fixed. Most likely completed by release per MF on reddit. As an example of the difficulty of bringing a game of this scope to market, lets not forget the many problems that even Blizzard had on release day for D3. Even Blizzard called it embarrassing. But hey, lets get up in arms because phasing is brokenin beta.
4. I love this one: "the dependence on PvE to be effective in PvP" If this is true, this is a design decision and worthy of discussion but with people who want to play the game, not anti-shill crusaders who are payed by Blizzard. At the least, it is not a problem you can group with more serious issues like bugs. Dismissed
5. Another gem: "a completely fucked User Interface" Oh you mean the user interface that has been in Elder Scrolls for years? Noted, UT has never played an Elder Scrolls game.
6. The changes to the API are temporary. The devs felt that the set up they had in beta was too open and exploitable. Who are you to argue with the people who are building the actual game? The game could be played at a high level with zero add-ons.
7. "not seeing HOTs or buffs on your character" - I'll give you this one. Bad design division, I believe this will change. If buffs and debuffs are where you want to take a stand on no purchase - feel free. I think its foolish but to each his own.
8. "Animations" Subjective. Some are good some are terrible. It could be a tradeoff for huge battles with minimal slowdown. I'll say they are good enough for me. Note that subjective part.

As you can see in the breakdown of your awful reasons to hate ESO, you're not on point and I dont consider your issues with ESO serious. In fact, I think you're secretly going to play!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was trying to see what their reasoning could be. Shocking, I know, trying to see the other side of an argument. I really think that their motives have to do with avoiding people using the API to trigger bots, even bots as simple as casting your short term buffs automatically. I'm sure they'll walk back some API functionality as time goes on. Nothing to panic about, kids.
You defended it, that's the point. The people making the bots are better at what they do then Teso Engineers anyway, this wont stop bots. You honestly should panic if you love Teso and the IP for constantly ignoring the beta testers. MMO's that are empty aren't very fun.