The Elder Scrolls Online

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Not having that overflow going directly into the megaserver when a spot opens up is going to hurt I think. At least GW2's work sometimes and you could switch over eventually.

Given that anyone with $50 can buy programmable keyboards/mice now to just make their toon /jump every 45 seconds so they don't get AFK'ed out, this is gonna leave a lot of people on those permanently for their log-in play. I don't see in the first few days anyone is going to log out of overflow just to relog and try to get into the main population.

If it's just for speeding through to Cyro it probably won't be an issue (probably better.. less people to break the quests again), but if people start hitting 10+ and still can't get into there to PvP with their guilds... ouch.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
So what's the deal with megaserver now? You can play but if you want to do cyrodiil you have to not play and sit in queue for main queue?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So what's the deal with megaserver now? You can play but if you want to do cyrodiil you have to not play and sit in queue for main queue?
Pretty much.

Can only hope a big majority are just in it for the pve, so don't care and will just funnel into the overflow.

I don't see too big a issue for me, my plan was to do heavy PVE at the start anyhow(minus a cyro shard run) for the most part.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty much.

Can only hope a big majority are just in it for the pve, so don't care and will just funnel into the overflow.

I don't see too big a issue for me, my plan was to do heavy PVE at the start anyhow(minus a cyro shard run) for the most part.
Oh god, GW2 WvWvW reset queueing flashbacks!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's tough to say what kind of server problems we'll experience on launch day. I have very low hopes.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TESO launch will probably be the same launch than any MMORPG launch ever : there will be the core players, who will be able to take vacation to nerd launch while macroing like mad cunts to avoid AFK logouts. They won't really be bothered with queues or overflow servers and their main goal will be to get far ahead from the MMO launch crowd to do smooth questing and get the first stuff before everyone else.

And there will be the non-vacation people, coming back home after a bitter (remember, no vacation) hard day of work to find a mean, bitchy hours long login queue, which will crash right before it reaches 0m17s and voila, back in the login queue again. They'll be able to login in around dinnertime, ignoring their wives and forgetting their kids to find hours after they're in overflow server : social features don't really work, Cyrodiil can't be queued and since it's overflow tech, some of your progress probably won't be saved. This launch will be their own personal bane, they couldn't get vacation time, so society, with one of its most shaddy, vicious and devilish product, the MMORPG, will hate them. Society will hate them hard and plain. We took years to craft our product, couldn't you take five bloody days to enjoy it ? Then go to Hell, you filthy gamers.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha. The worst is taking a vacation to play a game only to have the server be down for the entire first day. That's how WoW was.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Haha. The worst is taking a vacation to play a game only to have the server be down for the entire first day. That's how WoW was.
SWG was the same way. "I thought putting the login on a webpage was genius! What do you mean we didn't built a big enough webserver?" Almost no one played the entire first day. I took off the 31st and the 1st. I was ordered to take some time; if it works out I get to play ESO, all the better.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I had taken off that Monday and Tuesday for other family reasons. I might get some extra time in!

Plus Imperial launch day is on a Sunday so that's going to be hilariously bad.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I had taken off that Monday and Tuesday for other family reasons. I might get some extra time in!

Plus Imperial launch day is on a Sunday so that's going to be hilariously bad.
I will leave the prognosticating to Ut but I think that everything works great for the 5-day start, sags with the 3-day start, and then a wheel may come off at Retail launch. There are going to be way less Imperial editions and ZOS-store bought copies than pre-orders and then day-of's.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TESO launch will probably be the same launch than any MMORPG launch ever : there will be the core players, who will be able to take vacation to nerd launch while macroing like mad cunts to avoid AFK logouts.
its been a decade since I did a mmo launch without macroing when i want to sleep. ESO should be funny with skills that do damage and heal you. Who needs bots, i can do this with a 5 line macro.

Bruteforce_sl

shitlord
I do like the fact they didnt choose WoW/Aion/Tera Graphics but it just seems a bit too simple to last very long... It will be out less than a year and fail I assume...

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I do like the fact they didnt choose WoW/Aion/Tera Graphics but it just seems a bit too simple to last very long... It will be out less than a year and fail I assume...
it will be like any other mmo.
weclome to rerolled, where every mmo sucks and nothing lasts forever.

moontayle

Golden Squire
it will be like any other mmo.
weclome to rerolled, where every mmo sucks and nothing lasts forever.
Mostly because the genre has plateaued something fierce here in the last half-decade. Small upticks when things seemingly have a new twist. Public quests (and variants), fourth pillar story, action-based gameplay, the Free2Play movement, etc. Things haven't really progressed. TESO has the illusion of doing something new, but it's not really. Skill based leveling first appeared in Asheron's Call. Three-faction PvP was DAoC and more recently GW2. Story-based questing and full voice over is SWTOR. I've said before that the primary draw of the game is that it's The Elder Scrolls... ONLINE! and I stand by that statement. For the most part it's just the latest in a long line of MMOs to come out since WoW's popularity caused it to make headline news. It'll sell well based on the IP, it'll bleed subs quickly because there's only so much to keep people busy (and the RvR will only take you so far), and for the majority of us who buy in early (or down the road when it becomes F2P), it'll get slotted somewhere on our MMO rotation list which usually means a quick two-month jaunt to see what's new about once a year.

esloan_sl

shitlord
Mostly because the genre has plateaued something fierce here in the last half-decade. Small upticks when things seemingly have a new twist. Public quests (and variants), fourth pillar story, action-based gameplay, the Free2Play movement, etc. Things haven't really progressed. TESO has the illusion of doing something new, but it's not really. Skill based leveling first appeared in Asheron's Call. Three-faction PvP was DAoC and more recently GW2. Story-based questing and full voice over is SWTOR. I've said before that the primary draw of the game is that it's The Elder Scrolls... ONLINE! and I stand by that statement. For the most part it's just the latest in a long line of MMOs to come out since WoW's popularity caused it to make headline news. It'll sell well based on the IP, it'll bleed subs quickly because there's only so much to keep people busy (and the RvR will only take you so far), and for the majority of us who buy in early (or down the road when it becomes F2P), it'll get slotted somewhere on our MMO rotation list which usually means a quick two-month jaunt to see what's new about once a year.
That is because everyonesaysthey want something new and different but then spend all their time on forums complaining that whatever MMO is not enough like WoW. Seriously, how many times do you see a MMO try to do something different, only to see it changed because people griped that it was not familiar enough. It happens constantly. Even MMOs that are mostly like WoW get flooded with complaints that the few differences they have with the WoW style system are too many.