The Elder Scrolls Online

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I really wish I could try playing an MMO with a ping of say 20-50ms. I wonder just how much of a difference it really is.
Honestly it isn't that huge. I don't notice a massive change between playing on US servers and local servers in MMO's, although I can occasionally pick out the difference in fast paced PvP.

Blackwulf

N00b
Thanks for posting the link to that vid. That was ... interesting. On one hand, it was interesting to see this dude just run around and experience some gameplay without any real themeparky handholding. On the other hand, it was really hard to watch, because he was terrible. I actually thought it was cool when he stumbled upon those stealthed wolves and they almost kicked his ass, but that other character came in and beat them down. I also laughed when he was fighting the bandits and switched targets from the one that was almost dead to the fresh add. Smart. I didn't mind the graphics or animations, but they certainly weren't "better than Skyrim" as I've heard from some of the preview attendees. I know you guys are going to say I'm a complete retard, but did you notice that when this guy hit the game settings menu he stayed on graphic settings for less than 1 second. It makes me wonder if he had shit turned down on purpose, and didn't want people to see all the stuff he had turned off. He did spend some times on the UI options, and that seemed pretty robust.

Pros: Shows the game exists and that beta is really happening. According to his map, the world is huge. Gameplay seemed pretty fast paced and entertaining.

Cons: Graphics were, imo, sub par. Hoping we get some more vids soon from people with confirmed decent systems and settings cranked up.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I didn't notice a big difference from playing on the aussie WAR servers, but the americans all said the game was like playing slow motion -- at a guess it's because I was use to playing in slo-mo for the reason I never noticed it.

Huge difference, and I mean a HUGE difference in playing on the aussie SWTOR servers with a ping of 80ms verses the US servers that was around 300ms. It was like two different games.

The difference between playing AION with and without a VPN tunnel was night and day as well. WoW with a tunnel was very noticable back in WoTLK going from a steady 350ms to 270ms.

PvP in all of these games has been a problem with just shit not syncing like I believe it should be. Nothing like being 20 feet from a rogue kiting him and STILL being melee'd by it.

I don't hold much hope for this game if they don't launch with Oceanic servers, we'll just get shit stomped 24/7.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for posting the link to that vid. That was ... interesting. On one hand, it was interesting to see this dude just run around and experience some gameplay without any real themeparky handholding. On the other hand, it was really hard to watch, because he was terrible. I actually thought it was cool when he stumbled upon those stealthed wolves and they almost kicked his ass, but that other character came in and beat them down. I also laughed when he was fighting the bandits and switched targets from the one that was almost dead to the fresh add. Smart. I didn't mind the graphics or animations, but they certainly weren't "better than Skyrim" as I've heard from some of the preview attendees. I know you guys are going to say I'm a complete retard, but did you notice that when this guy hit the game settings menu he stayed on graphic settings for less than 1 second. It makes me wonder if he had shit turned down on purpose, and didn't want people to see all the stuff he had turned off. He did spend some times on the UI options, and that seemed pretty robust.

Pros: Shows the game exists and that beta is really happening. According to his map, the world is huge. Gameplay seemed pretty fast paced and entertaining.

Cons: Graphics were, imo, sub par. Hoping we get some more vids soon from people with confirmed decent systems and settings cranked up.
ill grant that he never showed what sort of graphic setting he was using but saying the world is huge from maps is misleading as hell. Those could be to any scale at all and they definatly looked terrible. You can actually see as he progresses over the first map that he covers at lot of distance in little time just running past. Now this is a starter map and not much to go on either but it would suggest the opposite of what youve assumed.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
ill grant that he never showed what sort of graphic setting he was using but saying the world is huge from maps is misleading as hell. Those could be to any scale at all and they definatly looked terrible. You can actually see as he progresses over the first map that he covers at lot of distance in little time just running past. Now this is a starter map and not much to go on either but it would suggest the opposite of what youve assumed.
Looks like its just an "starter" island, do you see how more land is in the distance? As a previous poster said it looks like a mix of AoC & SWTOR and TERA combat so that's nice I guess. Online version of the previous Elder Scrolls game? Shares some UI but so far that appears to be it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Now this is a starter map and not much to go on either but it would suggest the opposite of what youve assumed.
He did cover a fair amount of the map he was on but he was on Stros M'Kai which is a small island between Hammerfell and the Summerset Isles. It suggests (although isn't conclusive of course) that the game world is going to be pretty large. You can see it on this map:http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...l4thEraWIP.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just took it down. It looks like WoW did pre-alpha. They need to delay release by a year if they want a successful MMO.

Blackwulf

N00b
Yeah, I'll have to watch it again, but I thought I saw the the starter island as a tiny area on one of the other maps, so I scaled it in my mind. I could have been mistaken.

Too much brown.

No but really, anyone get a Vanguard feel?
I kind of did, except Vanguard had crisper textures. And Vanguard had even worse animations.. and crippling lag/performance issues. I wonder if the fraps program or whatever this dude was using to record is responsible for some of the blurry quality. Eh, who knows - I hope now that a lot of people are seeing this, ZOS will quit being dumb and refusing to show the gameplay in official videos. At least then they could control the quality.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I'll have to watch it again, but I thought I saw the the starter island as a tiny area on one of the other maps, so I scaled it in my mind. I could have been mistaken.
the way it was layed out was 2 microzones to a macro zone to an entire area of the map but with it being a starter area you cant really draw any conclusions from it.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
That guy really needs to lower his mouse sensitivity. The game itself isn't too surprising, standard MMO with a few elder scrolls touches.

Crizack_sl

shitlord
I was just going to post this and scrolled down and saw your reply. Fucking shit, they are using the same font and colors. lol
I think it was the font and colors that got me to make that correlation. I imagine those arent the "best quality" textures. It looked alright though - Would love to see other aspects of the game tho.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting video. Definitely got the AoC vibe. AoC was fun for a few months after they fixed it up. I like the clean ui. Hate having a ton of stuff cluttering the screen. Their behind the shoulder perspective is good too, and it looks like first person is viable. The graphics are fine, much better than looking at WoW type stuff but that is personal preference.

Can't really tell much about the game otherwise. AoC's starting area was great but it took them a couple years after release to fix the rest of the game. And it's standard fantasy stuff which is getting old, although it has to be considering the IP.

I usually play melee so this video had nothing for me in regards to combat. And it takes hands on to actually tell if combat is fluid or not. Can't tell that from a video.

So basically this vid didn't answer any of the important questions regarding this game.

an accordion_sl

shitlord

Looks like he was playing cranked up:
rrr_img_20832.jpg

Also the part with two mobs didn't look like he switched targets. He was definitely aiming at the lower HP one, but the game seems to have some sort of aim assist and chose the target closer to him (you can also see this when he pulls a mob later on, aiming into the sky but it still shoots the mob).

Don't really know where you didn't see handholding...

Blackwulf

N00b
Looks like he was playing cranked up:
rrr_img_20832.jpg

Also the part with two mobs didn't look like he switched targets. He was definitely aiming at the lower HP one, but the game seems to have some sort of aim assist and chose the target closer to him (you can also see this when he pulls a mob later on, aiming into the sky but it still shoots the mob).

Don't really know where you didn't see handholding...
Look at the scroll bar to the right of your SS - there must be a lot more options and he's got "custom" presets. I'm just speculating; I can't reconcile all the reports of "graphics on par with or better than Skyrim" from previews with what we saw in this leak. I'm just hoping those folks weren't lying and this dude either didn't have access to top graphics, or had them turned down somewhere. Or maybe his vid capture program grabbed the feed at lower quality for performance/compression.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean the graphics aren't what you would expect from a game from this IP for sure but I'm not getting the "To much brown" comments. I'm playing through Skyrim right now and when you're not surrounded by White, you're surrounded by brown.

This isn't something that is magically a new thing or exclusive to the MMO here.

Honestly the thing that bothered me the most was how bad their maps looked. Holy shit.