The Elder Scrolls Online

Nybling_sl

shitlord
Another big problem with the quest markers is that it removes the need to actually write the quest information into the log. If you modded the quest markers out of the game most quests would be nearly impossible because the NPC speech elucidates everything about the quest but where the shit is.
This is true. Yesterday I did the PvE quest hubs in Cyrodiil for the achievements, and w/o markers, some of those locations would have been a bitch and a half to find because the NPCs give fuck all for details on where things are.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Thank God for those stupid quest markers everywhere. If every quest wasn't obvious as shit it'd be impossible to know which quests were bugged and which were just puzzles.

I wouldn't mind a return to the good old days where the design for a quest log was including a branded notepad in the game box, but not for these theme park MMOs where you can't swing a sword without hitting an NPC trying to give you a quest, and especially not for a game where you need to relog to get through 10-30% of the quests.
The generic 'quest' has worn out it's welcome. If every MMO and expansion from here on out quit using standard quests and crappy segregate landmass additions as content, the genre would be vastly improved immediately.

Fuck quests and fuck quest logs.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The generic 'quest' has worn out it's welcome. If every MMO and expansion from here on out quit using standard quests and crappy segregate landmass additions as content, the genre would be vastly improved immediately.

Fuck quests and fuck quest logs.
Right there with ya babe, why the fuck do I need to be some McDonalds happy meal hero in every goddamn game?

My quest reward is the salty vinegar filled tears of mass pickle farmer genocide. #lamentsofanarcheagepicklefarmer

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Right there with ya babe, why the fuck do I need to be some McDonalds happy meal hero in every goddamn game?

My quest reward is the salty vinegar filled tears of mass pickle farmer genocide. #lamentsofanarcheagepicklefarmer

Column_sl

shitlord
The only reason we are still using those WOW mmo tropes still is because the casual market is too large.

Not one game has gone back to the EQ tiered leveling system, and I don't believe they ever will again

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The only reason we are still using those WOW mmo tropes still is because the casual market is too large.

Not one game has gone back to the EQ tiered leveling system, and I don't believe they ever will again
Agree that they won't. As many people that state they want to go back to sitting at Derv 3 socializing waiting for spawns and chasing the occasional named, it would last about 2 weeks before people would be off playing more accessible games. Neither system works well any longer, and it's time to invent some new game play mechanics. Or a game that actually functions. Again, we need new skin in the game. The MMORPG genre is teetering on collapse. The MMORPG genre needs to expand into living breathing worlds. Things we only see in Single player Skyrim games where NPC Behavioral AI is scripted to time of day and multiple activities. Instead of brainless NPCs plotted down with re-used art assets and usually horrible itemization. So not only does the genre need to mimic a real world in every possible facet, the game play from combat, exploration, and progression needs a dramatic shift. Story telling needs to happen as that progression happens in the game seamlessly, and not through clicking "Accept", run, kill/activate run back. To the point where someone is so immersed int he world they cannot put it down, and never get bored. Ongoing story telling where the subject matter isn't cookie cutter, is fresh (No more medieval/Sci Fi - something completely different an in alternate universe never seen) with an action based combat system qhich is fluid and responsive. An engine written from the ground up to handle it - nothing 3rd party - and is helmed by people that are passionate and not just after the typical 100k+ lead position to last for 5 years and not give a shit about anything but making sure the title ships.

It's coming. Just not for a while
frown.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
Agree that they won't. As many people that state they want to go back to sitting at Derv 3 socializing waiting for spawns and chasing the occasional named, it would last about 2 weeks before people would be off playing more accessible games. Neither system works well any longer, and it's time to invent some new game play mechanics. Or a game that actually functions. Again, we need new skin in the game. The MMORPG genre is teetering on collapse.
VR is the next step -Occulus Rift - positional treadmill - Power glove and swinging a wireless nerf bat. Skill IRL translates to Skill in game. Defeats Obesity. I mean come on.

Oh don't forget compression vest for impact and immersion.

That new pair of nikes at foot locker = 20% movespeed increase.

eSports CashMoney$$

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
VR is the next step - I want to be on a positional treadmill and swinging a wireless nerf bat to move around in game. Skill IRL translates to Skill in game. Defeats Obesity. I mean come on.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
oh come on.
Totally going to happen. You can already see it starting to happen. Sometimes it is a product that is just buggy and horrid, others where they are just flat out boring to play. The genre is stale. Wouldn't you agree? How many of these games are you going to put up with doing the same thing over and over in a different skin trying to chase the WoW dollars? HIt 1, 2, 3. Get new ability, fire off 1, 2, 3. Skill up a weapon, level up your character, turn in a quest, get another rewards you will use for 2 levels if you are lucky... on and on.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Totally going to happen. You can already see it starting to happen. Sometimes it is a product that is just buggy and horrid, others where they are just flat out boring to play. The genre is stale. Wouldn't you agree? How many of these games are you going to put up with doing the same thing over and over in a different skin trying to chase the WoW dollars? HIt 1, 2, 3. Get new ability, fire off 1, 2, 3. Skill up a weapon, level up your character, turn in a quest, get another rewards you will use for 2 levels if you are lucky... on and on.
Some MMOs coming out are stale. Some are not. The genre isn't 'teetering on collapse'.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It looks awful imo. And I'm a huge fan of the rift.
Lol most people would be tired as fuck after playing for an hour, there's that. Not me though because I'm hardcore.

It's the answer, to all of it. I'm convinced.

I want to Dance Dance Revolution jump kick some guy in VR and then lol IRL and in Game at the same time!!

All in all I'd be the worst ESO player ever on this thing rofl.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Agree that they won't. As many people that state they want to go back to sitting at Derv 3 socializing waiting for spawns and chasing the occasional named, it would last about 2 weeks before people would be off playing more accessible games. Neither system works well any longer, and it's time to invent some new game play mechanics. Or a game that actually functions. Again, we need new skin in the game. The MMORPG genre is teetering on collapse. The MMORPG genre needs to expand into living breathing worlds. Things we only see in Single player Skyrim games where NPC Behavioral AI is scripted to time of day and multiple activities. Instead of brainless NPCs plotted down with re-used art assets and usually horrible itemization. So not only does the genre need to mimic a real world in every possible facet, the game play from combat, exploration, and progression needs a dramatic shift. Story telling needs to happen as that progression happens in the game seamlessly, and not through clicking "Accept", run, kill/activate run back. To the point where someone is so immersed int he world they cannot put it down, and never get bored. Ongoing story telling where the subject matter isn't cookie cutter, is fresh (No more medieval/Sci Fi - something completely different an in alternate universe never seen) with an action based combat system qhich is fluid and responsive. An engine written from the ground up to handle it - nothing 3rd party - and is helmed by people that are passionate and not just after the typical 100k+ lead position to last for 5 years and not give a shit about anything but making sure the title ships.

It's coming. Just not for a while
frown.png
Condensed version: Utnayan wants to overdose on the Blue pill.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
VR is the next step -Occulus Rift - positional treadmill - Power glove and swinging a wireless nerf bat. Skill IRL translates to Skill in game. Defeats Obesity. I mean come on.

Oh don't forget compression vest for impact and immersion.

eSports CashMoney$$
soo this?
tumblr_m23v4ta5FT1roqwwzo1_1280.jpg
127627-nes_power_glove.jpg

and this?
images

with this?
q

dont see it being this!
THE-LAWNMOWER-MAN.jpg

Someone will be siting in the middle of it doing this!
Lazy Gamer Playing Wii.jpg

Between the motion sickness of VR and not wanting crap on your face. They need to come up with something better!

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'd post proof of this, but it will likely get me in even more trouble now that I've been fired/quit - you'll be seeing free-to-play at the start of the next investment quarter. The sub numbers are abysmal compared to projections to say the least. This was a pump-and-dump MMO. The dupe bugs and database issues won't be fixed anytime soon because they let the majority of staff go due to the limited sales.
Soouuuuuuurce

If legit, sorry to hear the cutbacks, Sage kinda shit on this one. I just hope you got some of Cyrodiil on your resume if at all possible.

Staff cuts are pretty apparent in the limited nature of the patches seen recently.