The Elder Scrolls Online

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quit as soon as they figure Veteran grind.

Anyone want to explain the basics of Veteran grind, how it works?
When you hit level 50 your experience bar turns into "Veteran Rank 1" and the only way to level through rank 1 to 10 is to run the 2 other alliances leveling zones. Welcome to Veteran Content, where mobs don't really give XP anymore, they're meaner and have more HP. The only solid way to level is to do every quest, kill every world boss, run every torch dungeon and clear every anchor dolmen. Any zone will roughly get you 1 Veteran level. It's long and since mobs are on steroids you can't really bash with your brain sleeping on your knees. Depending of your class / spec I'd say it's 2 or 3 times longer than level 1-50.

When you hit level 50 your experience bar turns into "Veteran Rank 1" and the only way to level through rank 1 to 10 is to run the 2 other alliances leveling zones. Welcome to Veteran Content, where mobs don't really give XP anymore, they're meaner and have more HP. The only solid way to level is to do every quest, kill every world boss, run every torch dungeon and clear every anchor dolmen. Any zone will roughly get you 1 Veteran level. It's long and since mobs are on steroids you can't really bash with your brain sleeping on your knees. Depending of your class / spec I'd say it's 2 or 3 times longer than level 1-50.
Thanks for this.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given how there are only 2-3 Cyrodiil populations that have any sort of population numbers to speak about, this isn't all that surprising to hear.
"EU" megaserver last week at 8pm :

mOkQ2b1.png

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Am I the only one that thinks an MMO "collapse" isn't exactly a bad thing? I mean, MMO's were more fun and more innovative before WoW came along and dumbed everything down for mass appeal. I say bring on the collapse!
Agree totally. For gamers it's a great thing. More fun, more innovation, more people making games who have a passion for them instead of the cash grab.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So here is my perspective as a VR10 in a oldschool pvp guild, who has played and watched every pvp mmo since UO crash and burn. The worst part of this game is how fast everything flips. I went to bed last night at midnight, we held all scrolls and all emperor keeps. I slept for 8 hours and logged on, we held no scrolls and the other faction now had an emperor. Its gonna be really hard to give any sort of a shit about pvp in this game when the oponent is a faceless zerg and nothing you do even has the slightest bit of permanence.

I see everyone praising cyrodiil now, but in a month when the shine wears off people will see it for the grind it is.

Its prolly not technically that hard of a fix, but I doubt they see the problem until the pop starts to crater and by then its too late. To start with the teleport network between keeps should not be so automatic, atm its a big part of what makes rolling through the map so fast. I also think respawning in a keep if you die in/near it shouldnt be disabled as early in the siege at it currently is, keep sieges have a bad tendency to end when the outer wall falls and half the defenders die and can't get back, I would rather see them allow a set number of reses in the keep per minute like the old AV where 10 people got rezed every 30s, they could tie it to the resources outside the keep too making holding them or ninjaing one back more important.

They also need to immediately remove all in cyrodiil combat related bonuses due to being emperor or holding scrolls. One of the worst possible things any pvp game can ever do is put in stupid things that help the side that is already winning win more.

I would also love to see them back off the hard faction system, they need to reduce the number of campaigns and dynamically balance the number of people on each side, the guest function should be revamped to allow you to merc over to another campaign and possibly faction that it selects based on what the pop needs are. It needs to pick a new campaign/faction for you every time you enter cyrodiil instead of making you pick one yourself, and it needs some grouping options to let you play with friends. It also needs to keep you queued for your home campaign and pull you into that one if its algo deems you are needed on the home front. They also need to up the cost of switching campaigns to like 200k, shorten campaign length to 30 days, and disable the ability to farm any pve not on your home campaign.

They also need to lock a campaign entirely if its pop falls too far out of balance, so no winning the map because your faction has 200 aussies while the other two have twenty stoners up at 4 am between them. If a campaign gets locked it should send those people to some kinda overflow, either another campaign or if thats not possible some kinda BG map maybe, where it keeps you in queue for the home campaign and then when it gets enough people it unlocks again and pulls you in.

But they won't do any of that, they will bleed for ~3 months, release a darkness falls to the cheers of the masses, it will fail miserably because of pop balance issues and single faction control, it will further polarize the campaigns and push DC people to maps where DC is winning, etc etc, until its like wow servers where there are 40 servers with 90+% horde, 40 with 90+% alliance, and very little in between. Then FTP shortly after and obscurity =/

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Not sure what the hate is for this game. It's a solid and enjoyable MMO. I've listened to every single bit of quest dialogue and there really is a decent amount of quality and diverse quests in the game.
I guess some people think it makes them look cool and gives them street cred on the forum, especially when they call people who like the game faggots.

There are also some people who will hate on a MMO if it fails to completely immerse them and compel them to play every waking moment of the day playing the game. I saw that happen a lot in EQ1 to the point people got divorced, lost their job, health got worse, etc. They had the best gear in the game though and people knew who they were.

Blackwulf

N00b
I'm closing in on VR3 and still having fun, but yeah, the quest grind can get tedious. My guild has a couple filthy casuals that probably won't see VR10 for many months. They seem okay with that. VR dungeons are pretty challenging. Best fun is still our occasional gank forays into enemy territory. It's so nice that anyone can hide...

They need to keep squashing bugs, but they need to hurry up and release some actual patches to shit that needs improving: guild store, guild recognition in PVP, better xp through PVP, etc.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Its been 15 years since I took my Oracle classes but database logging is pretty much a fundamental core feature of the database and simple to enable. I really find it hard to believe that any MMO developer doesn't have it enabled.

BTW why would ZOS lay off the senior developers responsible for the core mechanics of the game before the release of the console versions?
Usually because console versions are third party ports.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Usually because console versions are third party ports.
In that case it sounds like standard SDLC procedures (if the guy is legit). Every software project I have worked on cut staff once we transitioned from the development and test phase into operations and maintenance phase. When I worked as a consultant, that always meant I was one of the ones looking for a job. In the industry I work in, it just means you move on to a new contract/project.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Its been 15 ears since I took my Oracle classes but database logging is pretty much a fundamental core feature of the database and simple to enable. I really find it hard to believe that any MMO developer doesn't have it enabled.
Logging and auditing are different things. Redo logs are changes that occur which are logged but that's for recovering a database gone bad and not really for auditing.

Auditing is what user is doing what. Fine tuned auditing is extremely resource intensive and any transaction based database needs to limit the amount of audits performed as they take up a lot of disk and CPU, especially where hundreds of thousands of users transactions are being audited.

The problem isn't a database one. It's a code one. The dupe most likely won't register in the DB any differently from a normal transaction. The best way is to fix the code or monitor the client.

From the DB side, which isn't easy, the way to find it I'd guess isn't auditing which requires one to script a parse for that event which would be tedious and long running, but to setup a trigger for an event that 'looks' like an item dupe and take action immediately, such as locking the account, and having a process to verify that an item was duped.

tldr: fix the code and put client side dupe monitoring in place.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Last night marks the first night I legit rage quit out of the game due to 5 second ability delay in Cyrodiil wiping my whole group.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last night marks the first night I legit rage quit out of the game due to 5 second ability delay in Cyrodiil wiping my whole group.
It's weird too, this seems to come and go. Most days I dont have it, but then a couple days during primetime it gets really bad.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
This is what actually made me unsub. You finish your epic questline (which I did enjoy), then hey now you get to take 3x longer to kill a bunch of trash mobs that give no exp, and start all over helping jimmy collect 12 mushrooms around gravesites :p Then said quest gives you 1000xp and you need to do 400 of those to level (400,000 exp needed to hit VR2). I'm sure you can grind the zone out using the various VR guides, but meh.

I'd LOVE to level doing nothing but PvP, but for some reason they nerfed PvP exp into uselessness.

Vitality

HUSTLE
This is what actually made me unsub. You finish your epic questline (which I did enjoy), then hey now you get to take 3x longer to kill a bunch of trash mobs that give no exp, and start all over helping jimmy collect 12 mushrooms around gravesites :p Then said quest gives you 1000xp and you need to do 400 of those to level (400,000 exp needed to hit VR2). I'm sure you can grind the zone out using the various VR guides, but meh.

I'd LOVE to level doing nothing but PvP, but for some reason they nerfed PvP exp into uselessness.
Getting VR in pvp is viable, you get about 20% per 100,000 AP - which in a good bridge/tower/keep defense is entirely doable so long as you're not worthless.

Additionally if you band together and do a VR content clear (Torches - bosses - anchors) and save the questing for solo runs, you can easily get a Veteran rank every two hours on average. (3 hours if you did what I did and hunted lore books and skyshards along the way)

In short: You're doing it wrong.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Remember back about 2-3 months ago when there was a lot of complaining in the forum from weekend beta testers (limited to the newbie zones) that the PVE content did not seem like a MMO because it focused on soloing and did not promote grouping?

I told everyone back then that this was "The Vision" for this game. The level 1-50 PVE content combined with the main storyline quest is designed to be soloed and is intended to replicate the single player TES RPG experience.

There are a few things level 1-50 you need a group for but the primary MMO grouping PVE content doesn't really start until VR1. Once you get VR1, the game is not designed for soloing. For PVE content you are expected to team up with other players to knock out all the quests in Cadwells Almanac. By design, each zone should give you one VR rank.

If you are an EQ1 vet who likes forced grouping in MMOs, then the adventure zones are designed with you in mind.

Those of you who want to level focusing on PVP are screwed. You can thank the person who got power levelled to 50 in less than 24 hours for that.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Remember back about 2-3 months ago when there was a lot of complaining in the forum from weekend beta testers (limited to the newbie zones) that the PVE content did not seem like a MMO because it focused on soloing and did not promote grouping?

I told everyone back then that this was "The Vision" for this game. The level 1-50 PVE content combined with the main storyline quest is designed to be soloed and is intended to replicate the single player TES RPG experience.

There are a few things level 1-50 you need a group for but the primary MMO grouping PVE content doesn't really start until VR1. Once you get VR1, the game is not designed for soloing. For PVE content you are expected to team up with other players to knock out all the quests in Cadwells Almanac. By design, each zone should give you one VR rank.

If you are an EQ1 vet who likes forced grouping in MMOs, then the adventure zones are designed with you in mind.

Those of you who want to level focusing on PVP are screwed. You can thank the person who got power levelled to 50 in less than 24 hours for that.
Caldwells Almanac is designed to be soloed. As are all but one torch per zone.

Grouping trivializes all but one boss fight per zone. The mega zone boss is pretty fucking nuts.

Anchors torches and all but one of the bosses per zone (even the group torch) are easily duoable if you and you're partner aren't retarded.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Caldwells Almanac is designed to be soloed. As are all but one torch per zone.

Grouping trivializes all but one boss fight per zone. The mega zone boss is pretty fucking nuts.

Anchors torches and all but one of the bosses per zone (even the group torch) are easily duoable if you and you're partner aren't retarded.
You may be able to solo in VR+ content, but it's not by design as evidenced by the fact the mobs are on steroids like Bondurant alluded to, they take a lot longer to kill, and you have less room for screwups. You also alluded to it by pointing out how duoing makes it much simpler, which was my point all along. Grouping up to do VR content is how the game was designed to be played.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Grouping up to do VR content is how the game was designed to be played.
Source? Because to me its the same was 1-50 with longer TTK and you have to actually block/avoid attacks. Besides obvious group content(Anchors, Public dungeon, group dungeons and WBs) nothing in the VR content said to me "This looks like it was all designed to be group content".