The Elder Scrolls Online

Ryanz

<Banned>
Being able to nimbly outperform and troll all the fatties in a VR MMO sounds like a lot of fun.

imijj_sl

shitlord
VR has no chance of revitalizing the MMO space. I don't think it's necessarily teetering on the brink at this point, but if Blizzard fails to innovate with their next project and no one else steps up to the plate in between then and now, we will be seeing a lot fewer MMOs being made.

I do think ESO is somewhat relevant to this discussion, though, because it seems like the first big name MMO that the hardcore segment of the MMO community has completely passed on. I know I never considered playing it for a second.

spronk

FPS noob
I'd post proof of this, but it will likely get me in even more trouble now that I've been fired/quit - you'll be seeing free-to-play at the start of the next investment quarter. The sub numbers are abysmal compared to projections to say the least. This was a pump-and-dump MMO. The dupe bugs and database issues won't be fixed anytime soon because they let the majority of staff go due to the limited sales.
whoah that was fast, usually mmo companies wait at least 90 days to fire everyone. it is surprising that there have been no release on numbers, usually everyone loves to crow about "1m copies sold!!!" kinda stuff in the first week or two.

bummer to hear you got laid off, but i imagine having a big shipping title like TESO under your belt is major +++ to hiring potential. free advice, go work in regular software not gaming the pay is way, way better and the hours are infinitely better

Ryanz

<Banned>
Am I the only one that thinks an MMO "collapse" isn't exactly a bad thing? I mean, MMO's were more fun and more innovative before WoW came along and dumbed everything down for mass appeal. I say bring on the collapse!

imijj_sl

shitlord
Am I the only one that thinks an MMO "collapse" isn't exactly a bad thing? I mean, MMO's were more fun and more innovative before WoW came along and dumbed everything down for mass appeal. I say bring on the collapse!
Wouldn't bother me, but I think what we see with a lot of these "failed" MMOs is kind of similar to professional sports teams that claim they're losing money. I don't think that going free to play is as big a deal as people make it out to be. Probably plenty of shitty f2p MMO's making good cash for little effort.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I'd post proof of this, but it will likely get me in even more trouble now that I've been fired/quit - you'll be seeing free-to-play at the start of the next investment quarter. The sub numbers are abysmal compared to projections to say the least. This was a pump-and-dump MMO. The dupe bugs and database issues won't be fixed anytime soon because they let the majority of staff go due to the limited sales.
I think I found your account?[WTS] Imperial ESO with 9,100+ days of game time.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Not me unfortunately! To continue the story, they've essentially laid off all "senior" members of the team, which is more or less all the people who were involved in developing the core mechanics of the game. The patches you're getting are done by our replacements, all fresh hires willing to work for cheap. Fortunately for me, my ass is covered by my own smartphone apps, but others are pissed.

It looks like a lot of people have their suspicions about it, but if my word means anything, there's zero data logging going on. Your character's as is in the database, i.e. when you sell/delete an item, it's updated almost immediately and no information about your past inventory is maintained. If your account ever got hacked and everything sold and transferred WoW-style, there's no record of it kept outside of database backups, so you'd be up shit creek. Has a lot to do with the "mega-server" design. This is why they blanket banned accounts - they have no way to compare when items were obtained or not.

A little more info, if you paid with PayPal or credit card, there's a major amount of refunds going on right now and you'll be able to get yours without any problem if you so desire. I'd recommend it.
Considering they told me in two different emails from two different GM's that I was innocent and unjustly banned, then banned me 30 minutes later saying I duped grand soul gems, which I didnt onthataccount, I was thinking of getting a refund yes. They havent replied to my emails about their mixed messages and accusing that account of duping items. It's clear they just wrongly banned people, blanket unbanned them with generic emails, then banned people again. Thanks for the tip though I was going to just show paypal the emails all within 2 hours of each other to prove their incompetence.

Now the account I did dupe on, was banned but I havent contested nor will I refund that one. It does seem many others got away with their dupes though.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Not me unfortunately! To continue the story, they've essentially laid off all "senior" members of the team, which is more or less all the people who were involved in developing the core mechanics of the game. The patches you're getting are done by our replacements, all fresh hires willing to work for cheap. Fortunately for me, my ass is covered by my own smartphone apps, but others are pissed.

It looks like a lot of people have their suspicions about it, but if my word means anything, there's zero data logging going on. Your character's as is in the database, i.e. when you sell/delete an item, it's updated almost immediately and no information about your past inventory is maintained. If your account ever got hacked and everything sold and transferred WoW-style, there's no record of it kept outside of database backups, so you'd be up shit creek. Has a lot to do with the "mega-server" design. This is why they blanket banned accounts - they have no way to compare when items were obtained or not.

A little more info, if you paid with PayPal or credit card, there's a major amount of refunds going on right now and you'll be able to get yours without any problem if you so desire. I'd recommend it.
Its been 15 years since I took my Oracle classes but database logging is pretty much a fundamental core feature of the database and simple to enable. I really find it hard to believe that any MMO developer doesn't have it enabled.

BTW why would ZOS lay off the senior developers responsible for the core mechanics of the game before the release of the console versions?

Its been 15 years since I took my Oracle classes but database logging is pretty much a fundamental core feature of the database and simple to enable. I really find it hard to believe that any MMO developer doesn't have it enabled.

BTW why would ZOS lay off the senior developers responsible for the core mechanics of the game before the release of the console versions?
You cannot lay off senior people in the MMO business without it making a splash within a couple of days. We'll soon see.

Nybling_sl

shitlord
Given how there are only 2-3 Cyrodiil populations that have any sort of population numbers to speak about, this isn't all that surprising to hear.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given how there are only 2-3 Cyrodiil populations that have any sort of population numbers to speak about, this isn't all that surprising to hear.
I wouldn't choose Cyrodiil indicators to debate about population, since 1. some people are still busy leveling in PvE zones and 2. some other people don't care about PvP. On the other side, my opinion is a lot of people willl quit as soon as they figure Veteran grind. I expect a nerf in the upcoming months.

I wouldn't choose Cyrodiil indicators to debate about population, since 1. some people are still busy leveling in PvE zones and 2. some other people don't care about PvP. On the other side, my opinion is a lot of people willl quit as soon as they figure Veteran grind. I expect a nerf in the upcoming months.
Quit as soon as they figure Veteran grind.

Anyone want to explain the basics of Veteran grind, how it works?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
VR has no chance of revitalizing the MMO space. I don't think it's necessarily teetering on the brink at this point, but if Blizzard fails to innovate with their next project and no one else steps up to the plate in between then and now, we will be seeing a lot fewer MMOs being made.
Virtual Reality has a long ways to go, and its way too early to say it wont do shit for the MMO Market. In fact, thats pretty narrow minded to begin with considering MMO's and VR-done right, would be fucking glorious. There is also no need for some magical Revitalization of the MMO market, either. The MMO market has expanded into several different genres and is continually growing. Not a personal attack, but I would suggest branching out from RPG's maybe? Realize the innovation you want takes time and that there is a good damn chance it wont be Blizzard that releases the next coming of Christ for the MMORPG market.

On a separate note: Comedy Central has been playing the f'k out of the Elder Scrolls Online trailer.

imijj_sl

shitlord
Virtual Reality has a long ways to go, and its way too early to say it wont do shit for the MMO Market. In fact, thats pretty narrow minded to begin with considering MMO's and VR-done right, would be fucking glorious. There is also no need for some magical Revitalization of the MMO market, either. The MMO market has expanded into several different genres and is continually growing. Not a personal attack, but I would suggest branching out from RPG's maybe? Realize the innovation you want takes time and that there is a good damn chance it wont be Blizzard that releases the next coming of Christ for the MMORPG market.

On a separate note: Comedy Central has been playing the f'k out of the Elder Scrolls Online trailer.
It's going to be a long fucking time (read: probably never) before virtual reality is mass market enough to matter to MMO producers.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'll wait for a semi crediable source, then some guy who joins the forum just today to tell everyone he got fired. Can't keep layoffs like this a secret.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Not sure what the hate is for this game. It's a solid and enjoyable MMO. I've listened to every single bit of quest dialogue and there really is a decent amount of quality and diverse quests in the game.

imijj_sl

shitlord
Not sure what the hate is for this game. It's a solid and enjoyable MMO. I've listened to every single bit of quest dialogue and there really is a decent amount of quality and diverse quests in the game.
Seems like it's probably a decent game if you treat it like a single player title. I had fun with TOR, but it wasn't really an MMO. It would appear it's the same with this.