The Elder Scrolls Online

Blackwulf

N00b
Console shitlords will eat it up!
Starting tomorrow, those shitlords are going to begin hyping this console launch and the soulless hacks that dumbed this game down and destroyed any hopes of sandbox content will have their strategy validated. I hate consoles more every year.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Starting tomorrow, those shitlords are going to begin hyping this console launch and the soulless hacks that dumbed this game down and destroyed any hopes of sandbox content will have their strategy validated. I hate consoles more every year.
After playing FF14 for the past couple of weeks, I wonder how much of TESO was designed from the ground up to support console gameplay?

Reason I ask is because in FF14 the global cooldown is a base 2.5 seconds and you have plenty of time to walk out of AOE telegraphs. It was explained to me by a guildmate that because the Playstation players are on the same server as PC players, the game had to be designed to accomodate the Playstation controller, which is slower than using a mouse and keyboard for input. While PC players of FF14 pretty much all universally agree that combat action is slower in that game compared to other MMOs, for someone using a console controller that isn't necessarily the case. While the PC player is waiting with their finger over the next key for the 2.5 second GCD to expire, the console player has to maneuver thru 2-3 hotkey action bars and then select a specific ability to use. I imagine combat gameplay is not slow for them at all.

It will be interesting to see if some of the gameplay criticisms made about the PC version of this game disappear and are non-issues for the console crowd.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well that's why it took 2.5-3s to swap weapons right, to keep it fair for console players?

Stave

Potato del Grande
Well so far I am very surprisingly enjoying my time here. Totally was not expecting to enjoy it at all. I played in beta and it sucked hard, so I never bothered. Seems like it's fixed a lot since beta. It's by no means going to be the next long term MMO for me, but I'm playing it as a single player game with lots of other players around, and it's not too bad. I am enjoying it more than I ever did GW2. Never could really stand that game. Definitely getting the Elder Scrolls vibe which I didn't get back in beta at all. I would say I got my $23 worth so far.

I'd say this is a pretty good review of the B2P and current state of the game.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
There isn't a straw Rescorla won't grasp to explain away problems in ESO.
Well I'm not into irrational hatred of a game that I only played a few minutes of. When developers do something that doesn't make sense to me, instead of ranting and raving I try to figure out why they chose to do what they did. Does that bother you?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Soon I will be playing this game while balancing the controller on my knee and reading UT's posts all while gulping down a bag of Doritos n Dew.

/em shitlord activated

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Well so far I am very surprisingly enjoying my time here. Totally was not expecting to enjoy it at all. I played in beta and it sucked hard, so I never bothered. Seems like it's fixed a lot since beta. It's by no means going to be the next long term MMO for me, but I'm playing it as a single player game with lots of other players around, and it's not too bad. I am enjoying it more than I ever did GW2. Never could really stand that game. Definitely getting the Elder Scrolls vibe which I didn't get back in beta at all. I would say I got my $23 worth so far.

I'd say this is a pretty good review of the B2P and current state of the game.
That is a fairly objective review. That guy would get negged to hell if he posted the same things here. The one major negative he failed to mention is the lack of new PVE content for several months while they focus on the console release. Instead of having a conniption fit and getting all pissed off about it, I decided to take the opportunity and check out the FF14 free trial and then come back later when the new content was released.

I never played FF14 until a couple weeks ago but apparently it sucked badly at launch and then was totally redesigned and is now getting pretty positive reviews. Kinda shoots down the assertion by a lot of people here that games only get one shot at convincing players to play. The current state of FF14 also reinforces a notion I developed a while back but never followed through on because I like playing MMOs at launch. IMO MMOs need essentially about a full year after launch to work out all the kinks. People who get all bent out of shape because a MMO isnt fully polished at launch have unrealistic expectations. I've yet to encounter any problems in FF14 and it appears to be fully polished. This reviewer of TESO is having a similar experience after waiting a full year to try out TESO. I went into my guild's WildStar channel in Mumble last night and the players of that game said that game has improved significantly since launch as well.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Well I'm not into irrational hatred of a game that I only played a few minutes of. When developers do something that doesn't make sense to me, instead of ranting and raving I try to figure out why they chose to do what they did.
Developers aren't my Girlfriend.

You're a real nice guy for giving them the benefit of the doubt here Resco.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Well I'm not into irrational hatred of a game that I only played a few minutes of. When developers do something that doesn't make sense to me, instead of ranting and raving I try to figure out why they chose to do what they did. Does that bother you?
And sometimes while you try to figure out why, sometimes you just have to realize they are fucking morons and there is no explanation other than they are morons.

spronk

FPS noob
i guess all the console beta keys have gone out, no more, and there is apparently not going to be an open beta test for ps4/xbox one.

i did play a little bit last weekend during the welcome back (beta testers?) weekend, it was a lot better than beta but still pretty boring. Towelliee is streaming the PS4 console beta today if you wanna see what it looks like compared to PC. I think consoles don't support add-ons?
Twitch

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've never heard of consoles supporting add-ons. I'll probably run through this on Xbone since I skipped it on PC.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
i guess all the console beta keys have gone out, no more, and there is apparently not going to be an open beta test for ps4/xbox one.

i did play a little bit last weekend during the welcome back (beta testers?) weekend, it was a lot better than beta but still pretty boring. Towelliee is streaming the PS4 console beta today if you wanna see what it looks like compared to PC. I think consoles don't support add-ons?
Twitch
He is playing WoW now so I guess that answers that.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

Twitch
No addon support for the console. The default UI of the PC version was bad and without some key addons that gave basic MMO functionality I don't see how anyone can play this game.

The UI for the console version has been completely redone and everyone is saying it looks almost identical to the default UI of Skyrim. I thought the default UI of Skyrim sucked so the very first addon I installed was SkyUI.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That is a fairly objective review. That guy would get negged to hell if he posted the same things here.
That "review" doesn't say anything at all but I didn't like it now I like it because it's likeable and I like like it like totally used to not like it but now I like it. Not a single reason WHY or HOW, just restating "I didn't like it now I do" over and over. And you quote it, give it credence, claim it's objective, then use it as a platform to whine.

Here's an example of having reasons behind an opinion:

Opinion: you're an annoying twat.

Reasoning: I think you're an annoying twat because you post shit like what you did, then try to spin it into some valid argument. You mention that "review" getting negged as if we should all hang our heads in shame, or as if anyone gives a shit about negs; either way mentioning negs makes me feel you're an annoying twat. You have reasonable discussion at times, then randomly convert to spastic shit, accusing others of dumb shit, or you start whining, and there is nothing more twatty than someone who COULD have a rational discussion who is then randomly, irrationally twatful.

What kind of twat admits MMOs launch unready, need a year to work out the kinks, and then bitches that others get 'bent out of shape' (that you, grandma?) because they don't work the fucking kinks out BEFORE launching a product and taking consumer money? That's sounds pretty twatty to me.

I feel I've been pretty objective!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I got a console key but I didn't consider downloading it for even a second. 50 GB download for a beta, on a console, that expires a few days after you download it?

I'm not sure who took them up on that offer.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
This console release... I think it's going to bust. I don't think that because the game is not really that great (which it isn't); I think it's going to go bad because of the type of players most consolers are, especially the ones who've played ES for any length of time.

I got done watching some guy play and fail pretty bad testing the PS4 trying to steal from guards while in 1st person, and while even people on PC get face-smashed trying to do it, watching him revealed a potentially big dealbreaker I think for those types.

First 10-20 levels it's easy; two mobs per, one charges.. one ranges, nothing big. Next 30+ it's all packs of 3+ with some flipping behind you, some hiding behind trees, digging underground, stuff you can't keep track of with limited view. That's not even talking about the aoe circles you won't see on the ground or when you heal yourself with some spell, it heals 5 guys next to you who are fighting something else and now you're on their agro table. Don't even get me started on things like the broken Clannfears who don't attack properly, or any real way to keep track of what they are fighting since you can't see them in 1st.

This isn't a problem for most PC players because they are used to playing in 3rd person so it's not that much of a compromise, but I don't think consolers will be as eager to have to switch like that, especially when the whole ES series is basically you vs another solo/duo mob the whole game.

Zenimax will get some sales they wanted but I don't think those players will be subbing or playing it actively after a month given the typical MMO mob density while trying to play it in 1st person that they aren't used to.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
.....PS4 trying to steal from guards while in 1st person...

...who don't attack properly, or any real way to keep track of what they are fighting since you can't see them in 1st.

This isn't a problem for most PC players because they are used to playing in 3rd person....

....while trying to play it in 1st person that they aren't used to.
Huh?

So console players are struggling in first person, which isn't a problem for PC gamers because they're used to playing in third person? I don't know what that means.

I'm confused. Is the game only first-person for console?! That's bad.

Are most console players not used to playing in third person? I traditionally always disliked console gaming because it was always third-person, and all the good first-person games were on PC, which I preferred.

Guess I just didn't follow, but I'm pretty sure the reason the game will fail on console is because the company has proven to be shitty and not know what they're really doing.