The Elder Scrolls Online

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I feel like an MMO nomad even though I'm still working on EQ when I can, sporadically. I still need to do the FF14 story run, and I have a ton of unfinished business in LOTRO. Would also like to do some Vanguard and FF11 on emulator servers since I totally missed out on them. All this in addition to ESO which I'd like to get to max level in as well.

What would be a quicker "get to max level and experience the story" run, FF14 or ESO? Prolly do the quicker one first. I've got them both on PS5 now.
The story in ESO spans all the zones and every quest is voice acted.

If you want to just want to get to max lvl as fast as possible, ESO would fit the bill as someone could just PL you up, or you could run dolmans non stop for a few days.

The story lines, zones, and quest lines in ESO could take you almost a year or more to complete depending on your playtime....but if its just blast to max lvl as fast as possible for no reason at all....eso is quicker.

Edit...

To add to this, ESO is outstanding on not outdating content with each expansion. So its not like most mmos where the release of an expansion means all other content is obsolete.

People still run all raids and zones today, especially with the sticker book addition. You can quit the game and come back 2 years later and still not be behind any significant power curve.

Play ESO for the journey, not the bypass 95% of the game. Also...even if you hit lvl cap, you will still need to farm up shards and skills to make your toon viable. So while it is possible for someone to drag you into a raid, your toon would be useless without skills / shards despite being at cap

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The story in ESO spans all the zones and every quest is voice acted.

If you want to just want to get to max lvl as fast as possible, ESO would fit the bill as someone could just PL you up, or you could run dolmans non stop for a few days.

The story lines, zones, and quest lines in ESO could take you almost a year or more to complete depending on your playtime....but if its just blast to max lvl as fast as possible for no reason at all....eso is quicker.

Edit...

To add to this, ESO is outstanding on not outdating content with each expansion. So its not like most mmos where the release of an expansion means all other content is obsolete.

People still run all raids and zones today, especially with the sticker book addition. You can quit the game and come back 2 years later and still not be behind any significant power curve.

Play ESO for the journey, not the bypass 95% of the game. Also...even if you hit lvl cap, you will still need to farm up shards and skills to make your toon viable. So while it is possible for someone to drag you into a raid, your toon would be useless without skills / shards despite being at cap

Naw, I mean level to max while experiencing a good amount of relevant content.

Blasting to max grinding a mission over and over is pointless. I hated when EQ introduced Gribbles missions and all people did for leveling was those for like 3 years. They were dull as shit.

Sounds like ESO is a BIG time commitment. FF14 will probably take less time. Dunno if I even have room for either of them any time soon though. I could see myself blasting through FF14's story and then gradually chipping at ESO.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Who the hell plays this shit for stories. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Fucking facts. I don't understand playing an MMO for "the story", when even most average single player RPGs are going to offer a better story. You play MMOs for the griiiiiiiiind.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've always felt with MMO's you are creating your own story. These game should be sandboxes to create your own story.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've always felt with MMO's you are creating your own story. These game should be sandboxes to create your own story.
Fucking A MEN. Finally that someone gets it. Every night you log on should be your little story. With an overarching main story when you set up goals for yourself. Now im not saying not to have quests and shit to do inside games, but the story shit in MMOs? Meh, save it for the single player games. At least thats my thought.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I prefer my story to come from a chipmunk sounding childlike character with lots of head nods.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Fucking A MEN. Finally that someone gets it. Every night you log on should be your little story. With an overarching main story when you set up goals for yourself. Now im not saying not to have quests and shit to do inside games, but the story shit in MMOs? Meh, save it for the single player games. At least thats my thought.

I think this is 100% spot on. It's really what the roots of the genre was founded upon. It took that D&D fellowship and sense of adventure and brought it to life. Stories that were in the player's hands and evolved as players made decisions. The personalities of the NPCs were not the focus but it was by far the dynamic of the community that drove the game (for better or for worse).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got the Blackwood CE from the PS Store, nothing downloaded. I cleared the 80 GB it needed beforehand and everything.

Is it an unlock? I.e. nothing to download because the files were already there?

How can I check and make sure it actually installed? Cause there's no change in the ESO icon on the home screen, download queue is empty, it's just sitting there in purchases.

I'm guessing there's a new race or class or something I can try making to see if it's up to date. The title screen is all red and black now wheras before I think it was white, so maybe that's an indicator.

This game looks goooooooooood on PS5, wow.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Its a single player quest MMO but has everything else in good order if you're looking for more MMO.

• 1Like

Araxen

The one thing I disliked about the game is the AH system. It's cool they tried something different, but I don't care for it at all. I don't care for the guild system the use for it.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Got the Blackwood CE from the PS Store, nothing downloaded. I cleared the 80 GB it needed beforehand and everything.

Is it an unlock? I.e. nothing to download because the files were already there?

How can I check and make sure it actually installed? Cause there's no change in the ESO icon on the home screen, download queue is empty, it's just sitting there in purchases.

I'm guessing there's a new race or class or something I can try making to see if it's up to date. The title screen is all red and black now wheras before I think it was white, so maybe that's an indicator.

This game looks goooooooooood on PS5, wow.
I'm pretty sure the game is downloaded and installed in its entirety, so that when you purchase something out of the cash shop - its just automatically enabled without interruption. Try to walk/port to the areas if you want to test it.

• 1Like

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
When I got black wood I was immediately able to teleport there didn't have to reload the game zone or anything

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
FFXIV's story is actually interesting so I made an exception and I played it like an RPG MMO, not an MMORPG. I have no idea if ESO is anywhere in depth.

Its not bad, each expansion had its own story as well. Played most of them except the last one that released. It was pretty well done for the most part. Plus of course side quests too.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lol while yes I agree for the most part with you guys about the sandbox stuff, I gotta say ESO for a mmo does have some great story and lore.

I just did the winter event. I drunk bought the snow globe house years ago and love that every Christmas the event is outside my house lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

1643316072702.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users