The Elder Scrolls Online

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Sorry if this was addressed, TESOTESTER, but what I'd like to know is how this game differs from previous MMOs, and what about it would appeal to us. Less quests are good, but only if the quality is better and they are fun.

As an Elder Scrolls fan, the best part of the game was the open ended nature of the world, and the fact there were so many combinations one could create 'class wise' and mess around with and still progress. Is that functionality here? Is there a broad range of events, ingame guilds, and areas I can explore and gain experience in? That would give me options. If there is area A, which is required for the main event, but B,C,D,E, and F and one extra area is needed to level from 1-10 then that gives me a decent amount of replay ability. If there is A,B, and C and all three are easily explored my first play through, well, then it'll be far less fun to run an alt through there.

I can't really glean enough from your posts to really differentiate the game from other MMOs. What would make me want to be interested in this game?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
LOL, and yet the master of all WoW clones WildStar, gets hand jobs from this board. I really love the hypocrisy here. Actually made me laugh out loud when I read the last few posts.

Like I said before, I'll just wait for a playable open beta before I judge. I have very little faith in the opinions of shills or sandy vagina hypocrites.
Find me one word I've said about Wildstar, just one. I find that game yawn inducing as well. I haven't even glanced at the thread.

You do realize this board is made up of different people, if one of those people says something that doesn't mean all the other people think the same way.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
LOL, and yet the master of all WoW clones WildStar, gets hand jobs from this board. I really love the hypocrisy here. Actually made me laugh out loud when I read the last few posts.

Like I said before, I'll just wait for a playable open beta before I judge. I have very little faith in the opinions of shills or sandy vagina hypocrites.
Well the people that love Wildstar know it's exactly a WOW-clone but just upgraded and they are ok with that. I don't think anyone ever thought it was anything else. I don't think Wildstar ever claimed to be otherwise.

Most people are just hoping it's decently made.

@Denaut
You have to realize Grim thinks everyone is just loves WoW and thinks everything else sucks. Except for him. I'm surprise he didn't type out McWoWStar because he thinks he's clever.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Find me one word I've said about Wildstar, just one. I find that game yawn inducing as well. I haven't even glanced at the thread.

You do realize this board is made up of different people, if one of those people says something that doesn't mean all the other people think the same way.
That post wasn't directed at you per se, you just were the last one to call TESO a WoW clone.

And Draegan I don't have a problem with WoW, I have a problem with hypocrites who say they hate WoW clones and then hump the biggest WoW clone of them all.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
That post wasn't directed at you per se, you just were the last one to call TESO a WoW clone.

And Draegan I don't have a problem with WoW, I have a problem with hypocrites who say they hate WoW clones and then hump the biggest WoW clone of them all.
Fair enough, but don't quote me next time then, that is VERY confusing
biggrin.png

asocirev_sl

shitlord
...There are a few POI's nearby that have skyshards (give skill points) so you want to hit those. You won't get guided there.
Are these like SWTOR datacrons? If so do I need to do fucked up acrobatics to get to them?

...When you complete an area. Lets say the town that the furries have taken over and their leader is in. You go through the series to get them out of there. When you do the town is now free of furries. This holds true for you now forever. You do change the world some as you go through.
How will this work when your friends haven't completed the same quests as you? I think I can get behind the world changing dynamically, but if they implement it like Icecrown I'll lose my shit.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I guess I am one of those people you are referring to, so let me try to explain my point of view. First I find the entire culture of giving WoW credit for everything is silly. WoW didn't invent anything, they refined stuff much the same way Apple does. I don't consider Wildstar a WoW clone and here is why. The combat is totally different, sandbox elements and a bunch of other features that they have released and some not released. I feel that Wildstar has taken some of the better things from WoW and are building on top of that with new stuff. The combat being totally different is a huge part of it not being a WoW clone imo.

The games that I have had a problem with are those that add almost nothing to the WoW style foundation. They simply copy and paste the entire combat style and almost everything else and really don't invent anything to go with it. That is at least the way I see things personally.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Tesotester sure seems to know a lot of the personalities on this forum.

So here is how they are handling exploration.

Randomly place quest NPC's throughout a zone without a breadcrumb and call it exploration while people run around like chickens with their heads cut off knowing they had better find those quests, because if they don't, they are underleveled for the next questing zone. Fantastic idea
rolleyes.png
Meanwhile it doesn't matter, those that will buck the system (damn near everyone) will look at a spoiler web site on a second monitor to find out where the quests they have not completed yet (in the guise of "exploration") are located.

The problem with this development team not only is a lack of foresight in every design implemented so far (Which isn't much) but this ridiculous assumption they need to make the game feel like Elder Scrolls. It's a completely different genre, a completely different style of play, and is based on 3 faction RvR. It is NOTHING LIKE Elder Scrolls. It won't be anything of the sort. It isn't a sandbox game when you lock down theme park levels and add in a mix of cut scenes and voice acting and call it a day.

The biggest no no at this point is not having a majority of it's systems in and then "well, it's very early beta". Yeah it's early alright. A very early beta without 70% of it's systems implemented 6 years into a development cycle has always bode well for previous games in the genre historically as well.

That's the main issue. Complete budget waste.

This isn't a WoW clone, that is true. It's a DAOC/SWTOR/WoW/GW2 Clone. When your President says there will never be any more innovation in the genre, that means taking-20% of every game out there and mashing it together.

I would LOVE to see the "new" graphic system and animation pass (Which never happened) when all they did was pad in about 17 zones worth of artwork beta testers cannot access yet and just got out of dev.

Caliane

underleveled vs outleveled.

I don't know. for one, I think leveling in mmos is too fast these days already. The race to max level is something that needs to be broken as well.
But aside from that a moment. NWN. far too much XP. quests,crafting, events, skirmish, dungeons, pvp, etc. its far too easy to outlevel areas. Dailys get lost its so stupid in that game at times. A daily skirmish being for a specific skirmish multiple times,t hen having you outlevel being able to queue for it..

It would worry me more, if you could level through a single activity so quickly, that it effectively cuts that other content out of the game entirely. so that any players that try to do pvp, crafting, exploration, main quest lines, etc, just blow through levels faster then they want. Again, nwn. if you do any pvp, or foundry, you'll find yourself being 5+ levels higher then the zone you are in pretty fast, then having to skip the next zone entirely. that is defiantly not better.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
"Here's a Rubik's cube, go fuck yourself." May be the best gaming related quote I have read in quite some time.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
The second that ESO team sat down and said "ok, so we will get people to kill some mobs, do some quests, explore some areas so they can get some xp so they can level up and..." they fucked it. Right there, right then. It's no wonder that Firor thinks there isn't any more innovation left in the genre -- because he doesn't have a creative vision left at all.

Not just a lack of creativity; he's out right lazy and unskilled for his profession. Don't forget he also said that housing was impossible to do in any meaningful way in a modern mmo, so why bother?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
underleveled vs outleveled.

I don't know. for one, I think leveling in mmos is too fast these days already. The race to max level is something that needs to be broken as well.
But aside from that a moment. NWN. far too much XP. quests,crafting, events, skirmish, dungeons, pvp, etc. its far too easy to outlevel areas. Dailys get lost its so stupid in that game at times. A daily skirmish being for a specific skirmish multiple times,t hen having you outlevel being able to queue for it..

It would worry me more, if you could level through a single activity so quickly, that it effectively cuts that other content out of the game entirely. so that any players that try to do pvp, crafting, exploration, main quest lines, etc, just blow through levels faster then they want. Again, nwn. if you do any pvp, or foundry, you'll find yourself being 5+ levels higher then the zone you are in pretty fast, then having to skip the next zone entirely. that is defiantly not better.
I think an MMO needs to be designed from the outset not to segregate based on levels. We're pretty much used to two games: the levelquest one, and the 'endgame' <fuck Elder Game term in the ass>. The level one is mildly amusing but is just to get us to the meat and potatoes, which is the endgame and the shinies accumulation. It also isn't too different between MMO A, B, or C except for live voiced cutscenes, bad panda chinese cliche's, or in this case more 'epic' quests. Zzzz.

I like the idea of there being no level limit, but also levels granting far less power than they currently do. I think one should be able to do everything at level 10 one can do at level 100. I prefer levels take time to achieve and mean something more than ding, but less than being a mechanism to rush to the real 'fun'.

I think eventually a company will move past the EQ/WOW clones and get an actual dynamic world with changing landscapes, real politics, meaningful titles and ranks that are important but don't hugely differentiate capabilities, a real economy, and an ever changing environment based on the average player capabilities and population. Yeah, I know I'm not asking for much.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Not just a lack of creativity; he'sout right lazy and unskilled for his profession. Don't forget he also said that housing was impossible to do in any meaningful way in a modern mmo, so why bother?
The crux of it, really all that needs to be said.

Ideas are nothing, farts in the wind. Good people will make even the worst idea into something amazing, and crappy people can sink even the unsinkable.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you all noticed Zenimax / Bethesda went on super-ninja-style-stealth-mode since Tesotester is leaking on Betacake ? Like, almost the same day ? Not gonna deliver Jimmy Hoffa's current location or anything here, but I'm getting really skeptical, especially since he posted a wall of text just to hype the game and highlight the pros. In a rerolled thread where the game and anyone being involved in its development is getting nailed on the cross.

I really don't like how the videogames industry turns out nowadays, it's like they're going full Hollywood style, dropping "famous" names on megafranchises and only develop stuff when they're 99.9% certain they're gonna get their money back with benefits. No risks taken, no creativity. That's outrageous ? Yes, but meanwhile everyone's getting their slice of the cake, and strangely people become stoned lemmings when it's about their salaries at the end of the month. Money money...

spronk

FPS noob
you don't need to go into conspiracy mode bro, the number of people that read this thread/forum is so tiny its meaningless to a studio. Sure, for a game dev it might be nice getting some super-cynical, jaded feedback but otherwise this and other small forums are just circlejerks for us gamers, not some sort of pre-marketing target site that sways the purchasing decisions of millions. reddit, penny arcade, steam, etc are the heavyweights.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Tesotester sure seems to know a lot of the personalities on this forum.
I like your rational posts and opinions man, but you're getting back to your old, pre-medication self more and more. You should maybe not look at the threads that trigger this behaviour as often as you probably do. I'm sure everyone here either got the message about the old boys club or doesnt care about it. In this case, while I dont know if blackwulf is paid for the opinion he represents here, and even if he is, that doesnt mean he is that tesotester poster. Could be me, could be anyone else, or maybe someone lurking that you didnt even know about before he refered to this site on betacake.

Some said it before but there's a difference between Wildstar which is pretty open about taking WoW and trying to out-blizzard Blizzard (which I actually believe will work, because they arent the same company that made nothing but quality anymore), and taking an IP that's the total opposite of a WoW clone and turn it into one. I think if you look at the MMO preferences I'm leaning towards your side but I can still take Wildstar for what it is, and it might be fun for a week or two - I know what I'm getting.

TESO on the other hand has to live up to the expectations the TES IP has built up, and making it a WoW clone would be a huge failure. So people calling out one WoW clone and not the other does seem understandable to me. Like someone said earlier as well, the ball was dropped when they decided on the core concepts of their game, which was years ago. You cant just go and make a movie called Transformers 4 and have it be a romantic comedy set in Hawaii. Well you can, but you better keep it under wraps until people buy their tickets on opening weekend, because that is all you're getting for revenue.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I like your rational posts and opinions man, but you're getting back to your old, pre-medication self more and more. You should maybe not look at the threads that trigger this behaviour as often as you probably do. I'm sure everyone here either got the message about the old boys club or doesnt care about it. In this case, while I dont know if blackwulf is paid for the opinion he represents here, and even if he is, that doesnt mean he is that tesotester poster. Could be me, could be anyone else, or maybe someone lurking that you didnt even know about before he refered to this site on betacake.
I think you took that post out of context. I meant that Tesotester is obviously someone from the old FoH forum days. (He talked about a lot of forum members) And with about 95% certainty, works in the industry as I know the testing pool for TESO is limited right now to the vertical. Meaning Journalists and game developers.