The Elder Scrolls Online

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I think the environments look pretty good, but if the animation isn't improved, that's a dealbreaker, ladies. Killing immersion is the easiest way to remind me I'm on a Treadmill to Nowhere and boredom soon follows.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You wouldn't think so but I don't know how many games people have just fell out of love with quickly because of the animation. You would think they would have figured out that this is one of the first things people look at when videos are released.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yeah it's also a huge part of why everyone love's WoW so much. The models are mostly terrible and the environments are hit and miss, but the animations are so smooth, reactive and lifelike that it's easy to ignore.

Also, compare the video ESO just released to the new Starcraft trailer. The ESO one makes me go meh, and I loved Skyrim/Morrowind and play fantasy MMO's quite religiously. The Starcraft one, on the other hand, had my blood pumping, and I don't evenlikeStarcraft.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah it's also a huge part of why everyone love's WoW so much. The models are mostly terrible and the environments are hit and miss, but the animations are so smooth, reactive and lifelike that it's easy to ignore.

Also, compare the video ESO just released to the new Starcraft trailer. The ESO one makes me go meh, and I loved Skyrim/Morrowind and play fantasy MMO's quite religiously. The Starcraft one, on the other hand, had my blood pumping, and I don't evenlikeStarcraft.
Yep. I am one of those people who doesn't like WoW, but there are things about the game that are way above any other mmo. First off it runs excellent on just about any old piece of crap machine in existence and tied to that is the responsiveness that you get when playing the game. Secondly the animations are the best in the mmo world.

The responsiveness of the game and the animations give WoW more life than any cludgy realistic mmo that lags every other second. It's just another basic lesson in mmo development that most devs have totally failed at. To give a game life it has to respond immediately to the gamer's input and those animated responses have to be killer.

If a mmo came out that had those 2 things AND had killer graphics (WoW's graphics suck) then I would be in mmo heaven. They could give me 10,000 bear skin fetch quests and I wouldn't care.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
the animations do seem stiff but I wonder if that has anything to do with the no targetting/no autoattack the game is using. I think in general the animations are intentionally slow and toned down a bit but necessarily so.

Not defending them outright, they could make them more fluid, but i'm kinda glad every attack maneuver isn't some dragonballz/flying uppercut shit that most modern mmo's are using for their basic autoattack 3 damage sword swing you get at lvl 1.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
I'm hoping that they are still working on the art and animations and there will be some improvement before launch. Saw a dev in an interview and he said that they can't do Skyrim quality graphics and have a hundred players on the screen at the same time so they had to compromise.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Graphics and animation just aren't at the top of my list as things I look for in an MMO anymore. Sure, with ES it's going to be a little bit more important than turning on old school character models in EQ, but anymore I'm afraid we'll see yet another game that doesn't look bad but turns out half finished, buggy, light on content (to the point of being done with it in a month or less) and in general, just a waste of time.

People negged me on FOH for saying that I had a bad feeling about this game, but it isn't like I'm hoping for it to be bad. It's one of those things that you hope and pray that you're completely wrong about.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Quick Question:Does anyone else think the scene in that trailer where the characters are jumping from the ledge to the water looks a little funky? As if the jump is scripted? (Ex. The jumps in Kingdoms of Amalur)

Like Erronius... Animations arent really a big deal to me. I dont want them to be complete shit, though. The Freedom of the Environment and the Action/Delay are the key factors in whether I will give a game an honest chance or not. I want to be able to take a short cut over a tree branch, a bush etc. etc. If it appears to be 1 foot tall, then I should be able to jump over it. Sounds simple, but you wouldnt believe how many games make you walk around petty little shit. Action / Delay has been mentioned on here, already. But if I press an ability, that shit has to happen right there and then. Feeling as though you're lagging by just a mere .05 seconds will make my blood boil in any game. Much less an MMO.

...but i'm kinda glad every attack maneuver isn't some dragonballz/flying uppercut shit that most modern mmo's are using for their basic autoattack 3 damage sword swing you get at lvl 1.
What game(s) are you referring to? The only thing that Im thinking of is Tera, and I would much rather combat moved towards that than stick with the Step out of the Fire mechanics that WoW has placed on the MMO genre for the last 9-10 Years.

...The Starcraft one, on the other hand, had my blood pumping, and I don't evenlikeStarcraft.
The Heart of the Swarm trailer?
confused.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Animations are not a big deal to me either, but lets face it, alot of games with bad aimations had this shitty synergy between skills and animations. Like an animation had to finish before the next skill could go off. See SWTOR during release. All their skills were tied to animations and it just made the skills lag between the time you pushed them and when they actually went off.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The world looks beautiful but the animations do look like shit. I'm more worried about the combat system itself than any of those though.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The world looks beautiful but the animations do look like shit. I'm more worried about the combat system itself than any of those though.
This is a "growing" concern of mine lately with every MMO. This seems to be the variable everyone wants to play with at this time. I'm still looking for the right method as I don't think anyone has quite got it down but there more or less extremes present. EQ2 with the 1 million buttons and hotbars bundled with bad animations drives me crazy but then you have games where you have to parry, dodge, strike, collision, and every minor detail. There has to be a happy medium or maybe it is just over complicated period.

an accordion_sl

shitlord

I don't know who this guy is, but he provides lots of information.

Limited to 6 skills (lots to choose from), 5 normals and an ultimate.
Left and right click are attack and block.
Boring WoW style questing confirmed.
Public adventure zones.
Mega server uses phasing to group you with like-minded players (questionnaire when creating character).
Cyrodiil is the open world PvP zone.
Game is designed to have 200 people onscreen at same time (we'll see).

If you can somehow avoid/skip the WoW questing, it might be ok.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ill definitely be checking it out, hopefully in beta first. What the fuck, only $60, right?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Did he say he's a "straight clicker?" Man, he's one of those basement dwellers that use big words incorrectly to sound like he belongs to the smart nerds when he's really just a Harry Knowles wanna-be....at least that's my impression. Everything was "AWESOME!" which killed my enthusiasm despite the "smart mobs" sounding pretty damn cool. Still, it'll be worth $60 I bet.

Scyfi

N00b
*Mega server uses phasing to group you with like-minded players (questionnaire when creating character)*

So basically all the griefers will choose "likes to adventure" and "hates pvp" in the questionnaire lol brilliant!

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Years of disappointment have attuned FoH denizens' noses to the wafts of shit emanating out of developers' hype.