The Elder Scrolls Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The running animations look really poor, so does the character design. The combat scenes with the woman-spider thing were not exactly impressive either. But guys, you can do "epic" raids and heroic dungeons with your friends, aren't you excited yet? And saving the same town 47 times from the werewolf invasion, i can hardly wait any longer.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
How can you call it uninspired when all we know is that it's going to be an action oriented MMO with restricted hotbar skill combat, with 3 factions. It got the SWTOR comparison because they mentioned Hero Engine when they went public.

I think they will sell a shit load of boxes as long as the game feels polished. Whether or not the game is sticky is another question.
Well its easy really... if you watch the videos and look at the screens (understanding the fact it is still kind of early to call), it just doesn't seem to have the beauty or appear to have the feel of their other games. Please note though I said "seems" uninspired lending to my first impression in addition to reading other comments. It also garnered the comparison because it has a large console following and they are making a MMO.

I agree, they'll sell a lot of boxes, at least I would think, just simply because they may bridge their Oblivion and Skyrim fans. A friend spoke to me not long ago and even told me that he understood my love of MMO's because he was hooked on Oblivion and now Skyrim. Obviously not in the same genre but, he'll probably buy the game now just because he took a step in the MMO direction with other Elder Scroll games but now has the taste and may make the plunge with ESO.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Hmm maybe I don't know what you mean by beauty. Everyone's idea of that is different, but to me the screens look like a modern day fantasy MMO. Decent textures and animations. It's not super oh my god awesome, but it's not ugly. It appears generic really. I have to see more in action. But the graphics don't stand out stylistically like GW2 or WOW.

But then again, Elder Scrolls games usually looked generic and bland and it was all in the gameplay and game world. So we'll see, I have my doubts.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Everyone's idea of beauty is different, but this looks like Kingdoms of Amalur: Elder Scrolls.

It's uninspired because it's cherry picking existing features of MMOs and most likely implementing them in a half-assed and ignorant way. That and it's stealing the backdrop of Elder Scrolls without getting the heart and soul of the sandbox nature of Elder Scrolls.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ok they're not that close. But seeing a cartoony Elder Scrolls still pisses me off.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
What? They're even mentioning it in the video, how they made sure the art-style is in line with the previous elder scrolls titles.

And if you look at the environment, they did that; the rocky river scene looked just like something out of sykrim. It's just that the characters look like ass, they're oddly proportioned, where their head looks way to big for the rest of the body.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
.... That and it's stealing the backdrop of Elder Scrolls without getting the heart and soul of the sandbox nature of Elder Scrolls.
This is what pisses me off. I doubt they will even acknowledge that ES is popular because you decide what to do; how, when and where is entirely up to the individual playing. This will be a smoldering pile of SWTOR if everyone follows the same quest structure. I don't see how this survives as a MMO. That being said I still signed up for Beta
smile.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Everyone's idea of beauty is different, but this looks like Kingdoms of Amalur: Elder Scrolls.

It's uninspired because it's cherry picking existing features of MMOs and most likely implementing them in a half-assed and ignorant way. That and it's stealing the backdrop of Elder Scrolls without getting the heart and soul of the sandbox nature of Elder Scrolls.
Also dont forget their dev team, comprised of failed products past. these people do not learn their lessons, they repeat them until propmoted. Then they move to another gaming company and preach the same failed mechanics, except now from a producers role.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Also dont forget their dev team, comprised of failed products past. these people do not learn their lessons, they repeat them until propmoted. Then they move to another gaming company and preach the same failed mechanics, except now from a producers role.
God Bless America

rrr_img_10395.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That's absolutely true, but I still say that much of the blame for that rests with us, the players. The consumers. And especially those of us from FOH and now at RR. We've all played tons of MMOs I'd wager, yet think about all of the threads both past and present where people throw out ideas that ran against the current paradigm, and all of the QQing about those ideas. It's often the very same players that cry that developers rehash everything, have no creativity and that their MMO designs are so inbred that 'The Hills Have Eyes' could describe most MMOs as soon as they leave the drawing board, are the ones that then shie away from anything that's truly different. If you talk about a sandbox MMO, you have people crying about how that will lead to open-world PvP griefing even though that would depend on implementation. If you talk about getting away from a raiding endgame, people get their jimmies rustled because they can't imagine NOT having a raiding endgame because that's all they've ever known. If you mention a move away from gear progression, treadmills and purples, you have people that seem to have meltdowns as a result.

I can't really fault developers alone when they to some extent base their decisions on what will sell and be financially successful, and when you have gamers who refuse to consider alternatives and seem to want the same type of games "only better", what do people expect developers to do? People don't know what they fucking want lol, and sadly most Devs don't either.

I mean, how many of the people that universally panned just about every MMO out there, actually went ahead and played those MMOs anyways? STO, we knew that was going to be a shitshow, yet people bought it anyways, even after some serious discussion over how it was already failing in beta. And that's just one of many. That's the one thing that stills boggles my mind, is all the people that buy retail releases on the 1% chance that a game might be, maybe, contrary to all prior signs and portents and actually be worth the effort. And it isn't remotely plausible to me to expect developers to drastically change the paradigm when they get the messages from the gamers that they do. I'm a gigantic GW nerd and I refused to buy WHO because of the pre-release information that was out there, yet over a million people bought it anyways and look where it is now.

Meh, not ranting at you, just the topic itself I guess. It keeps coming up and it's always pretty much the same discussion.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
/sigh
they kind of had me until they mentioned maps with a compass, lots of quests, and doesn't seem to be first person POV.
"you're not competing against others for resources."
ummm, why the fuck not? what's the point of pvp if you're not competing for anything?
"questing in ESO is built around a pretty simple concept and that is we want the players to explore...it's not what do i do next, it's which one of these things do i do next?" "we have an on screen compass and that really points out the areas of opportunity or points of interest for the players."
so basically, it's 100% identical to WoW. fill your quest log and collect bear asses until max level. got it. now excuse me while i go take a monster shit which will be more inspiring than this game.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Graphics look OK. Not the best, not the worst. The scenery reminded me of Skyrim. So that is a plus.

The the animation looked below par. Like some frames were missing. Especially combat.

They kept saying there were sooo many ways to look different than every one else...but everyone in the demo was wearing damn near the same shit.

I also like you can play how you want...Like a "sneaky guy" (JESUSEFFINCHRIST, I cringed when he said that) with plate. But we all know this always comes back to cookie cutter builds unless presented with crazy amounts of choices. Here's hoping.

That video did not make me want to rush and go buy their game. Made me want to try the beta, and find reasons to like it.

Campa

Trakanon Raider
Have they said how the uh WvW :p was going to work in their "one" server design? I actually think the one server idea is a good one and in retrospect I wish GW2 had done that for PvE rather than having PvE linked with WvW server choice.

Other than that seems pretty meh to me from a design standpoint, maybe beta will change my mind.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have they said how the uh WvW :p was going to work in their "one" server design? I actually think the one server idea is a good one and in retrospect I wish GW2 had done that for PvE rather than having PvE linked with WvW server choice.

Other than that seems pretty meh to me from a design standpoint, maybe beta will change my mind.
Yeah they should've gone further with the dynamic instancing of zones and eliminated servers entirely and then created a different classification for WvW.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Well I don't know about the game cause I haven't played it yet, but god damn that CGI was pretty impressive.