Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
From the patch notes...

Updated Tutorial
  • The entire tutorial in the Wailing Prison has been revised
rrr_img_91757.jpg

Blackwulf

N00b
I cancelled my sub 2 weeks ago, and figured I'd play it for free now and then. I really have no current interest in downloading the patch, though. I'm just over it. Kinda funny, as I'm sure with B2P they are going to have a ton of new players, but my entire core gaming group has moved on. We've all pretty much decided SC is our next "thing" - FPS module coming this month, and arena commander is still fresh to us, so that's cool.

I don't think I'll be able to get behind a non-crowd funded game again. Having my eyes opened to what real dev interaction and transparency can be when you don't have a bunch of investment suits holding the purse strings has been a revelation. Following SC and Crowfall for the last few weeks has given me hope in this industry again.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I cancelled my sub 2 weeks ago, and figured I'd play it for free now and then. I really have no current interest in downloading the patch, though. I'm just over it. Kinda funny, as I'm sure with B2P they are going to have a ton of new players, but my entire core gaming group has moved on. We've all pretty much decided SC is our next "thing" - FPS module coming this month, and arena commander is still fresh to us, so that's cool.

I don't think I'll be able to get behind a non-crowd funded game again. Having my eyes opened to what real dev interaction and transparency can be when you don't have a bunch of investment suits holding the purse strings has been a revelation. Following SC and Crowfall for the last few weeks has given me hope in this industry again.
The shill is even bailing on this game! Nail in coffin.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I think SC has promised way too much, space sim + FPS + online?! I doubt they can pull it off.
They will probl. not be able to pull it off seemlessly considering all the diffrent studios involved in every module... but on the other hand it can hardly become worse then the games we have right now.

My Destiny group is going to try ESO when it hits the PS4, and I think there will be a huge influx of players from the consoles considering that they have next to no competition for an MMO on console right now (Final Fantasy is about it?).

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The shill is even bailing on this game! Nail in coffin.
Psst, that was Rescorla. Black was always pretty fair, but it's tough to discuss MMOs here with the zealout Blizzard fanboys and hardcore PVP crazies here.

I think the best thing they could do is gear this towards the console crowd as much as possible and try to position it as a fantasy Destiny alternative in some way. The other thing they absolutely need to do is revise the tutorial at least three more times, cuz you know that's all the game is missing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a lot of cool stuff coming out about SC and they're doing some very good work, but I think it will be a disappointment for a lot of people who bought into the hype and smoked hopium every day.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Psst, that was Rescorla. Black was always pretty fair, but it's tough to discuss MMOs here with the zealout Blizzard fanboys and hardcore PVP crazies here.
In addition to the Blizzard fanboys and hardcore PVP crazies, it's also tough to discuss MMOs with people who just make shit up because they hate a game they haven't even played. If pointing out they are making shit up makes me a shill then I'm fine with that. You can't have a rational adult conversation without discussing both the pros and cons and I have always acknowledged the legit criticisms about TESO, nameplates and lack of meaningful PVP being the two biggest.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I personally don't have any issues discussing MMOs. It's just when I go to the general forums with all the closet hippies here, ya know...
wink.png

Anyways, It's a slow day at work, so I'll be your Huckleberry. The game was boring and the complete opposite of all the single player Bethesda games I played and loved, in that they were all sandbox open world games with customization. I can see a console MMO being built on rails, but really the design for TESO missed by about ten years.

If they wanted to make DAOC 2.0 they should have focused on that. If they wanted it to be a Bethesda tradional game with coop, they should have worked more on that. They dabbled and made a well rounded incredibly mediocre game with far too many tech glitches. The hate you see is the fact this game easily could have been so much more. I have more respect for a Shadowbane like game that at least knew what it wanted to be, but just lacked the tech team and time to build it. This game had tons of money and was cratered by shoddy leadership with no vision?.

If you want to see the polar opposite in design, Star Citizen is it. It could crash spectacularly but I love the design and like what they are doing with the game so far.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Haha some guys in my clan spent thousands on that game. One guy literally is no different then a Scientologist when it comes to defending his new "religion."

" well if it doesn't come out at least I supported something better then (insert game you play and mock it)"

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing I'd love to see is a tracking of all the people who paid over $1000 for SC, and how quickly they stop playing after the official release.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
From the patch notes...

rrr_img_91757.jpg
I feel like they use the wailing prison as an easy to deploy experience for their focus groups, and everytime they ask their focus groups what they think of the game they get a negative response and their reaction is to redo the wailing prison.

I can see the conversation going:
"Proctor: What did you dislike most about the experience?"
"Tester54: I had no idea who anybody was since I couldn't see their names. I couldn't tell the quest NPCs from the players."
"Proctor: "Tester54 believes we should have fewer players in the tutorial."".

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I think the best thing they could do is gear this towards the console crowd as much as possible and try to position it as a fantasy Destiny alternative in some way.
I think the game will be 'okay' (as far as any other MMO out other than FFXIV is), but I don't see this happening at all. I think the majority of people who play Destiny are the type who have absolutely no interest whatsoever in typical WoW-based MMOs where your grinding, but it's a whole different level of it.

Your average loot grind playing Destiny is pretty brainless; just kill some mobs, kill some bosses, collect some shit which isn't super difficult in a very short period of time. Getting around in the game is simple, fast and instantly throws you into some action. In ESO, you're riding or horse (or running) around grinding your eyeballs out for loot in dungeons, checking cabinets or trying to find someone to make shit for you and then there's the whole upkeep/degrading that goes on in ESO. Not sure how it is now but I remember at launch you'd just throw your old gear away because it was too expensive to keep repairing the stuff.

In Destiny, there is no degrading loot and in fact, one strategy for a lot of the crap is just suicide attempts at things with no repercussions. I have no doubt some of the people playing Destiny might try it but I don't think it would even be close to a quarter. If they are anything like my kid, they will walk in, look at the comparative super-slow pace of the game and walk back out.

They both are average entertainment, but there's a whole different energy playing one vs the other.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I personally don't have any issues discussing MMOs. It's just when I go to the general forums with all the closet hippies here, ya know...
wink.png

Anyways, It's a slow day at work, so I'll be your Huckleberry. The game was boring and the complete opposite of all the single player Bethesda games I played and loved, in that they were all sandbox open world games with customization. I can see a console MMO being built on rails, but really the design for TESO missed by about ten years.
Slow day at work here as well so let's have a go at it. You are making the same argument several others have made. I will make the same exact counterpoint I have always made but so far everyone has evaded responding too.

The ONLY reason the single player TES games worked as sandbox games is because the content always auto scaled to whatever your current level was. It didn't matter what level you were or where you went, the level of the mobs you fought would be calculated on the fly to whatever level you were. For example, the official Skyrim forums there are threads discussing how players were able to complete the entire main storyline as a level 1 character.

I personally found the vanilla TES autoscale system boring. The only way I was able to complete Oblivion was by using Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul mod that completely junked the autoscale system and assigned specific levels to every mob/quest/dungeon in the game. If you were a level 10 and you tried to fight a daedra it would insta-gib you. Conversely, if you were a level 30 fighting a low level bandit you would insta-gib it.

It should be fairly obvious to anyone who has played a MMO why the TES autoscale system that worked in a single player game is not technically feasible in a MMO. Every single major MMO I have played since EQ1 has gated content by levels so it really boggles my mind how anyone who is a MMO vet can criticize TESO for also gating its content by levels.

Now if you were doing TESO PVE content at the level it was designed to be consumed and you found the gameplay boring then that is a subjective, personal choice that falls under the category to each his own. My favorite activity in MMOs is PVE dungeon crawling and my experience with that in TESO is that the difficulty challenge of the veteran dungeons was somewhere in between Wildstar and vanilla WoW heroic dungeons. The fun of doing those outweighed the aspects of the game that I didn't like.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Auto-scale has been done plenty of times in recent mmo titles - GW2 - FFXIV - etc.

You get auto-scaled if you go into Cyrodiil in TESO for fucks sake Resco.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Auto-scale has been done plenty of times in recent mmo titles - GW2 - FFXIV - etc.

You get auto-scaled if you go into Cyrodiil in TESO for fucks sake Resco.
Pay attention. I was clearly talking about autoscaling in PVE content. You can autoscale UP in PVP content like Cyrodil to try and make it a level playing field but not in PVE content. GW2 autoscaled you DOWN if you enter a zone whose PVE content is designed character levels lower than your current level.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Pay attention. I was clearly talking about autoscaling in PVE content. You can autoscale up in PVP content but not in PVE content. GW2 autoscaled you DOWN if you enter a zone whose PVE content is designed character levels lower than your current level.
GW2 Autoscales you to the level of the zone and autoscales the loot you get from said mobs. In PVE.

PVE in Cyrodiil is scaled as well. And drops level appropriate gear. That's how I PVE'd for the first 45 levels of the game.

Cyrodiil is what TESO should have been as a whole.