The Elder Scrolls Online

Lorren_sl

shitlord
Huh?

So console players are struggling in first person, which isn't a problem for PC gamers because they're used to playing in third person? I don't know what that means.

I'm confused. Is the game only first-person for console?! That's bad.

Are most console players not used to playing in third person? I traditionally always disliked console gaming because it was always third-person, and all the good first-person games were on PC, which I preferred.

Guess I just didn't follow, but I'm pretty sure the reason the game will fail on console is because the company has proven to be shitty and not know what they're really doing.
They don't know how not to fail .... they took text chat out of the console version of ESO. for .. get this, I can't even make this shit up ... the lead dev for the console UI said he had them take it out because it felt awkward to him having a keyboard on his lap while he was sitting on the couch.

So on consoles its voice chat or nothing ... hope you enjoy all the Xbro's leet-speaking and crap.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I
They don't know how not to fail .... they took text chat out of the console version of ESO. for .. get this, I can't even make this shit up ... the lead dev for the console UI said he had them take it out because it felt awkward to him having a keyboard on his lap while he was sitting on the couch.

So on consoles its voice chat or nothing ... hope you enjoy all the Xbro's leet-speaking and crap.
Are you pulling an Utnayan and just making shit up? If a dev really said that I'd like to see a link to where you saw it at.

It does seem extremely odd to me that there is no keyboard text chat support since that is a staple of PC MMOs. An explanation from a ZOS rep on the official forums said they ran into a technical problem they couldn't figure out how to overcome as the reason for no keyboard text chat. Considering FF14 has keyboard text chat on the PS4, seems like it should be fairly easy for a company to implement keyboard support for a console. I wonder if the "technical problem" was the lag in Cyrodil caused by large zergs in the PC version? PC players used zone text chat to coordinate Cyrodil PVP which ended up with almost everyone all going to the same areas to fight. If you take away zone text chat seems like that will make it extremely hard for zergs to form.

Someone on the forums said the console voice chat worked similar to how it's implemented in Destiny. I don't play consoles so no idea if that is a good or bad design.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Horrible. Destiny chat didn't even exist until they patched it in ~6 months after release. There still isn't text chat.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Huh?

So console players are struggling in first person, which isn't a problem for PC gamers because they're used to playing in third person? I don't know what that means.

I'm confused. Is the game only first-person for console?! That's bad.

Are most console players not used to playing in third person? I traditionally always disliked console gaming because it was always third-person, and all the good first-person games were on PC, which I preferred.

Guess I just didn't follow, but I'm pretty sure the reason the game will fail on console is because the company has proven to be shitty and not know what they're really doing.
No, the game allows them to switch to 3rd person playing on PS4/XB. Didn't mean to suggest it doesn't, apologies.

And sure, a lot of console games give 3rd person, but we all know ES is iconic for it's 1st person. Having those two hands out is one of the things instantly recognized by many gamers as making a ES game familiar.

What I meant is that for the audience that they appear to be banking on console-wise (ex-ES players) it's going to be difficult for them based on how I'm assuming those players played every other ES game. I'm assuming they are looking for new players as the primary market, not just looking to sell $20 downloads to players who already have it and most of all, they want those players to sub.

That market I'd assume is the non-MMO player; a guy who usually plays ES or RPG games in 1st where you don't have the typical amount of mobs that an MMO has and you don't need as much information as you do while playing an MMO like aoe pools (which you can't see), mob telegraphs from 3/4 directions, mobs behind you or to the side just sitting/crouching behind terrain, other players you may accidentally heal and now have their mob's agro as well, PvP situations, etc.

Maybe it's just me speaking out-loud for me, but as someone who's played all the ES games (never finished) in 1st and then tried doing that with ESO, it was a pretty horrible experience. It has to be played like a traditional MMO because it is. Playing in 3rd is how the game is best played, but you get some nagging feeling that youshouldbe playing in 1st even though you know that's bad. Maybe it's the way the NPCs all shift you back to first person when you are talking to them... not sure.

I was just thinking the for me, I could switch since I'm used to playing MMOs. I'm just not sure the people they are aiming for are going to like that compromise after hitting level 30.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like a ton of console players played Skyrim in third person, and you're really overestimating how console players will react when they find out third person is necessary in ESO.

I played ES2-5 in first person, but the transition to ESO and third person was easy because it's an MMO.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Skyrim was the first elder scrolls game where 3rd person wasn't wonky as fuck. It was marginal in Oblivion and you're out of your fucking mind if you think 3rd person worked at all in Morrowind. Prior to that it wasn't even an option.

Lorren_sl

shitlord
I

Are you pulling an Utnayan and just making shit up? If a dev really said that I'd like to see a link to where you saw it at.

It does seem extremely odd to me that there is no keyboard text chat support since that is a staple of PC MMOs. An explanation from a ZOS rep on the official forums said they ran into a technical problem they couldn't figure out how to overcome as the reason for no keyboard text chat. Considering FF14 has keyboard text chat on the PS4, seems like it should be fairly easy for a company to implement keyboard support for a console. I wonder if the "technical problem" was the lag in Cyrodil caused by large zergs in the PC version? PC players used zone text chat to coordinate Cyrodil PVP which ended up with almost everyone all going to the same areas to fight. If you take away zone text chat seems like that will make it extremely hard for zergs to form.

Someone on the forums said the console voice chat worked similar to how it's implemented in Destiny. I don't play consoles so no idea if that is a good or bad design.
here you gohttp://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/v/4331277watch from about the 1h 5min mark on the lead console UI dev is on then.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I feel like a ton of console players played Skyrim in third person, and you're really overestimating how console players will react when they find out third person is necessary in ESO.

I played ES2-5 in first person, but the transition to ESO and third person was easy because it's an MMO.
It could be me as I said, but there are some intangibles.

Again, I'm assuming with the console version they are going after new non-MMO players.

You playing all the ES series in 1st isn't the same thing as those folks because you haveextensiveMMO experience; they possibly (likely) don't. We tend to assume in our conversations here that EVERYONE played an MMO at some point just like we did on consoles and did so well, but the truth is we are a minority just like all the other gaming sites out there. Millions of folks have played console games and nothing but their entire lives, many settling on sports franchises like Madden or FIFA, many settling on RTS/RPGs, etc.

It's only here that players have done both extensively and when we see people say that FFXIV, Neverwinter or ArcheAge was their first mmo, jaws drop.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
It could be me as I said, but there are some intangibles.

Again, I'm assuming with the console version they are going after new non-MMO players.

You playing all the ES series in 1st isn't the same thing as those folks because you haveextensiveMMO experience; they possibly (likely) don't. We tend to assume in our conversations here that EVERYONE played an MMO at some point just like we did on consoles and did so well, but the truth is we are a minority just like all the other gaming sites out there. Millions of folks have played console games and nothing but their entire lives, many settling on sports franchises like Madden or FIFA, many settling on RTS/RPGs, etc.

It's only here that players have done both extensively and when we see people say that FFXIV, Neverwinter or ArcheAge was their first mmo, jaws drop.
My teenage son pretty much plays nothing but 1st person shooters on his Xbox with the Call of Duty games being his favorite. He got Ghost Recon as a gift and it was a 3rd person shooter. He didn't have any problems adapting to it. My guess is console gamers are so familiar with manipulating the controller that they can easily adapt to anything.

I don't see the 1st vs 3rd person differences being an issue with console TESO. Where I see a major headache is inventory management and switching out skills. I used addons for quick swapping of saved skill sets as well as equipment. The UI for console has been totally revamped so maybe it's not a PITA like in the default PC UI. Supposedly the new console UI is very similar to the console version of Skyrim.

The lack of keyboard text chat is obviously significant but no idea how that will play out with the console community. Lot of comments on the official forums about it with the majority of posters in favor of the change. While it does create limitations to interaction, one thing it will prevent is gold seller spamming. Some people are theorizing the area voice chat will create enclaves of players in various parts of the cities seeking to do a specific activity. If you want to do a dungeon, you go hang out in the tavern. If you want to buy or sell stuff, you go to the crafting area.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
My teenage son pretty much plays nothing but 1st person shooters on his Xbox with the Call of Duty games being his favorite. He got Ghost Recon as a gift and it was a 3rd person shooter. He didn't have any problems adapting to it. My guess is console gamers are so familiar with manipulating the controller that they can easily adapt to anything.
Will your teenage son be paying for his own sub account, or will you give him X money a month to decide what to pay for? If you're like most parents I know it's the latter. In that case, it would be interesting to see if he chooses to spend $15/month that you give him for this experience in 3rd person vs using that for other games. If your son is anything like mine, he's going to blow it onDestiny.

Also, teens are extremely adaptable and don't mind concession. Most adults (especially gamers) aren't and don't like to do it specifically when they are paying for that adaptability. Your son and mine aren't the target demo for ESO console edition but I think you know that already.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really think the first vs third person thing is going to be the least of ZOS's concerns about marketing ESO to console players.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Will your teenage son be paying for his own sub account, or will you give him X money a month to decide what to pay for? If you're like most parents I know it's the latter. In that case, it would be interesting to see if he chooses to spend $15/month that you give him for this experience in 3rd person vs using that for other games. If your son is anything like mine, he's going to blow it onDestiny.

Also, teens are extremely adaptable and don't mind concession. Most adults (especially gamers) aren't and don't like to do it specifically when they are paying for that adaptability. Your son and mine aren't the target demo for ESO console edition but I think you know that already.
If I buy the console version for my son it is a one time purchase thanks to the game being B2P. Only reason to have a monthly sub now is if you want to buy the cosmetic items, mounts and pets from the crown store. Stuff like that is a waste of money IMO so I cancelled my sub on the PC version. ZOS only gets money from me now when new content comes out via DLC.

The target demo for the console version of TESO are the 20 million people who bought Skyrim. My son played Skyrim on the Xbox when he was 12 and he as well as several of his friends from school are already talking about playing together on the Xbox One when it comes out. 20 million people covers a lot of different demographic types.

Stave

Potato del Grande

I'm by no means trying to white knight this game, but I'm just curious if your 1st person opinion is based off of beta/launch, or how it is currently? I just started playing about a week ago after not playing since beta, and they really brought up the quality of the 1st person hand/weapon animations, to basically the levels of Skyrim. I know it's probably not as efficient, but I run around everywhere in 1st person because it feels like Skyrim when I do, and I really don't give a fuck about being elitist or raiding.

In regards to the $15 a month, the game is buy to play, so it won't require any sub. I really have a feeling that the Skyrim console fans are going to eat this shit up. "Skyrim but online with friends like WoW and no sub?" Little jimmy spends $60 every year on CoD and Madden rehashes. They will be lining up out the doors for online Skyrim. Now whether or not they stick around is a whole different matter.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm by no means trying to white knight this game, but I'm just curious if your 1st person opinion is based off of beta/launch, or how it is currently? I just started playing about a week ago after not playing since beta, and they really brought up the quality of the 1st person hand/weapon animations, to basically the levels of Skyrim. I know it's probably not as efficient, but I run around everywhere in 1st person because it feels like Skyrim when I do, and I really don't give a fuck about being elitist or raiding.

In regards to the $15 a month, the game is buy to play, so it won't require any sub. I really have a feeling that the Skyrim console fans are going to eat this shit up. "Skyrim but online with friends like WoW and no sub?" Little jimmy spends $60 every year on CoD and Madden rehashes. They will be lining up out the doors for online Skyrim. Now whether or not they stick around is a whole different matter.
Except this game is nothing like Skyrim and animations in first person? Really? The only thing this launch will do is hurt console sales of black marsh when it comes out. Because along with screwing over the casual market who only looks at an IP, it will bite them right in the ass when they cannot equate this as an mmorpg and will remember how fucking awful they got burned with this. Then they will blame IP fatigue to cover their asses.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Maybe it's just me speaking out-loud for me, but as someone who's played all the ES games (never finished) in 1st and then tried doing that with ESO, it was a pretty horrible experience.
Ahh, yeah. I could see that being the case. I'd say it's less an issue of the actual players, and more the company making a) shitty first-person (at least how I experienced it in beta) and b) not being the most informative of in-game options.

Maybe they should have just made a good, deftly rendered first-person MMO. Untapped market, and TES may be the only IP where restricted first-person would be accepted.

Still, probably not though. I guess I just assumed everything and everyone does everything in third person, and has for years, because I love first-person and am constantly disappointed.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I

It would be horrible. Destiny Voice chat is a mess and very poorly designed.

Nothing surprises me with this group of clowns though. I doubt anyone here expected anything to come out of this console release other than they will make the ES IP look like shit, and know the customers are thinking it's a straight up online-style sequel to Skyrim - which they obviously will be very pissed off about once they play it. I would say gamers should do their research on games before purchasing, but as we all know, the casual market which makes up a majority of sales has no clue, and ZO is about to exploit this heavily.

With that said when it comes to text chat on a Console without a keyboard (I just use my controller) it's a royal pain in the ass anyway. So quite honestly, I would bet the reasoning was "They do not have text chat in Skyrim and we need to make it as close to that as possible for the sheep that buy this" Watching Zenimax Online with this game is like watching the government control healthcare.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Fucking retarded Zenimax. Got this email today. Sounds like 1000's of other players did too.

Greetings,
We are contacting you to advise you that the game key associated with your The Elder Scrolls? Online: Tamriel UnlimitedT account has been identified as a compromised key that was originally obtained fraudulently and then re-sold to you. Because of this, your account will be deactivated on Tuesday, May 26th. We encourage you to contact the retailer who sold it to you as well as your credit card company for a refund.

To continue playing The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited after May 26, you must either apply a valid game key or purchase the game directly from The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited PC/Mac Store to regain access to your account. All your characters, progress, and other game information will be retained, so after you reactivate your account with a valid key, you can continue your adventures.

We've recently seen an increase in the sale of fraudulently obtained digital game keys for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. Unscrupulous people engaging in this black market activity purchase Steam keys in bulk using stolen credit cards, and then resell them to unsuspecting consumers.

Fraudulently obtained keys obtained via Steam and then re-sold via third-party websites is a violation of both our and Steam's Terms of Service.

We understand that your characters and progress are important to you, and your account will remain available for use once a new legitimate key is applied. To avoid unknowingly purchasing a stolen digital Steam game key for ESOTU, we urge you to please only purchase digital game keys for ESOTU from official retailers. Please click here to see our list of authorized retailers or visit our online store here.
Guess this is a lesson to not buy from G2A. I sent a request in for a refund.

I still think it was dumb how Zenimax handled it though. I would have probably bought some in game store stuff, but now I probably wont even rebuy the game. Don't really feel like giving them the money. Especially if it takes them a month to realize that my key shouldn't have been accepted.

Update: Got ahold of G2A support and they are refunding me.