The Elder Scrolls Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You have to be trolling, right? You can rightly criticize TESO for a ton of shit but graphics is NOT one of them. Come on, UT. Put the crack pipe down.

PC or PS4? Ff14 blows this out of the water graphically.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's a subjective evaluation. I like FFIV's graphics as much as Teso's, but they are very different styles.

I get that you can't move on from your early lambasting of this game. Time to get over it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's a subjective evaluation. I like FFIV's graphics as much as Teso's, but they are very different styles.

I get that you can't get over your early lambasting of this game. Time to get over it.

Dude, I do not care about my early lambasting of the game. I have it and am playing through it over time on PS4 Pro - I bought the Morrowind Expansion and am running through the Warden class. I am legitimately trying to understand how anyone could think the graphics in this game are something to be talked about. Again, I am playing on PS Pro4k/HDR - so I was also curious of the PC version is THAT much better and I must be missing out on something. Settle your tits. I am trying to have a legitimate discussion.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't know about the PS4 version, but the PC version is very nice graphically. And compares very well to PC FFXIV. But as I said they are different styles. Some people will prefer one style over the other. It's subjective.

And imo Black Desert beats them both graphically. Wish that game was better in other areas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok yeah I can see how it's subjective on the graphical outlay. I still do not understand how it's a rich world. To be frank though, that is impossible to pull off in an MMORPG and definition of Rich World to be means a combination of NPC behavior/pathing, world effects and atmosphere, deep progressional and dynamic story line which can or may change the data set of an entire zone/area (This part has happened once so far in Morrowind which is kinda cool but this is where I had to log off to the real life - I'll probably pick it back up again this weekend), exploration (Which it kinda has but after BOTW it's really hard to go back to POI map check box exploration), and I am sure there is more I am forgetting here. I like the fact you can go anywhere and tackle any side quests/main story at any time - and I have come across a few good side quest stories which were good. Problem is I find myself always doing the same thing with regards to combat and it's mostly just throwing down the right trigger and spamming my staff ranged attack until whatever I need to kill is dead. (No different really than any other ES game so I can't knock it there much in that regard)

The MMO in this is pretty non-existent other than "There are some folks see ya" and so like Jayrebb said before, it's off to play it as a single player RPG - and this is where it is lacking when compared to Morrowind, Oblivion, and most definitely Skyrim. To say it's on par with those 3 games doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah so far this is a decent time waster with a few good story nuggets, but it's mediocre as hell when played as a single player RPG in my view. So I am trying to determine how one comes up with that opinion so I can try to understand where they are coming from.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
If you hadn't said that morrowind and oblivion had better graphics than TESO then you probably wouldn't have been challenged.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
God I wish this game felt more "compelling".

I pretty much agree with everything UT said about the world and the questing. Tried several builds, and the highest I ever got to was level 30 before I quit ages ago. The console inspired skills limit, weapon-swapping, and the janky, jerky, floaty movement/jumping still grates on me.

Anyway loaded it up again, and damn does it look pretty in Ultra-wide on the PC. Might drown it in mods to try and convince myself that I'm really playing a PC game after all. Getting the MMO itch again, and I really don't want to go back to WoW before the expansion. :(

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lord, they would have done so much better if the experience you get in Morrowind starting off was the same experience you got in Tamriel. I jumped on an old character that I had on the account from .. I guess a free to play weekend? or something? Before I purchased the game. The experience is just night and day difference. Tamriel noobie experience leaves so much to be desired in comparison to the Morrowind noobie experience. I hated that f'n noobie dungeon they had and so much more.

Last time I played, I also dont recall being able to use mods. I downloaded about 5 different mods this time. A new UI that gave me a minimap, three addons for Points of Interests, and an addon that lets me search the markets for what I typed in. These were huge gripes of mine and I feel sorry for people that cant even have basic quality of life addons like that on the Console version. Its still got a heavy console "feel" to it though, cause I still enjoy playing it with my xbox controller rather than mouse/kb. That'll probably change if I ever want to take the game seriously, but for now.. Im pretty comfortable playing the game on my couch.

Graphically, the game doesnt like blow me away?... but its not some ugly duckling, by any means. The games actually really gorgeous in some areas. I wish I could extend out clipping and things like that beyond the max, but I can live with it. I have no idea how grouping is, just the public dungeon fun Ive had with a couple people. Or how mid-late game Tamriel is, and if Ill be annoyed at having to go back to it or not.

Anyone that still plays, feel free to message me. It'd be nice to have company in the game instead of just talking to people on discord that arent even playing.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lord, they would have done so much better if the experience you get in Morrowind starting off was the same experience you got in Tamriel. I jumped on an old character that I had on the account from .. I guess a free to play weekend? or something? Before I purchased the game. The experience is just night and day difference. Tamriel noobie experience leaves so much to be desired in comparison to the Morrowind noobie experience. I hated that f'n noobie dungeon they had and so much more.
The problem is the actual experience in Morrowind kind of sucks. As in xp/hr, it's slow compared to Tamriel. I put it off until I hit 50, since pretty much anything is alright with enlightenment (rest xp, sort of) and full Training gear.

Last time I played, I also dont recall being able to use mods. I downloaded about 5 different mods this time. A new UI that gave me a minimap, three addons for Points of Interests, and an addon that lets me search the markets for what I typed in. These were huge gripes of mine and I feel sorry for people that cant even have basic quality of life addons like that on the Console version. Its still got a heavy console "feel" to it though, cause I still enjoy playing it with my xbox controller rather than mouse/kb. That'll probably change if I ever want to take the game seriously, but for now.. Im pretty comfortable playing the game on my couch.
I'd recommed PhinixUI and most of the addons it supports, just for simplicity. Though if you craft at all, you're much better off ignoring his crafting addons and using CraftStore CC instead. I also use BetterUI :: Gamepad Interface Improvements (HotR) to make the gamepad interface at least somewhat on par with modded Skyrim. IIRC it conflicts with a couple of the PhinixUI addons though; I think it was Azurah and FCOItemSaver that had major issues.

Personally I think gamepad is vastly superior to kb/m no matter how serious you are about the game, unless you're playing a build with a rotation so simple it can be mouse/AHK macroed. Trying to weave light and/or heavy attacks and weapon swaps in between skills is like playing keyboard DDR. It plays well over Steam Link too which is a nice bonus when you're just grinding out xp. Downside there is that Steam Link doesn't play well with microphones and you'll probably need at least a decent wireless keyboard (I use a Logitech K400) if you're going to group at all, and for any of the must-have addons where the authors couldn't be bothered to add gamepad commands. EasyTravel, for example.

FYI, there's a free trial for ESO+ going on until next Monday and you should absolutely make use of its features while it lasts if you don't sub all the time. You can do the thieves guild and dark brotherhood stuff and unlock their skills, grab various non-combat pets and costumes, and stuff all your crafting shit into the ESO+ unlimited bank. You keep everything you unlock while it lasts, and the crafting bank just changes to withdraw-only. If you like Morrowind, Clockwork City and Orsinium are just as good if not better story/quest-wise.

Edit: A better guide to what to do while the trial lasts: What to do with the upcoming ESO+ trial: A Quick Guide For the Curious • r/elderscrollsonline

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pops

Dude, I do not care about my early lambasting of the game. I have it and am playing through it over time on PS4 Pro - I bought the Morrowind Expansion and am running through the Warden class. I am legitimately trying to understand how anyone could think the graphics in this game are something to be talked about. Again, I am playing on PS Pro4k/HDR - so I was also curious of the PC version is THAT much better and I must be missing out on something. Settle your tits. I am trying to have a legitimate discussion.

It was a step up at one time for me, but my PC wasn't state of the art. Plus I have never been a console guy, so I couldn't compare. Playing BDO with a 4K monitor and a current vid card and it's stunning.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
How like Skyrim is ESO? My wife loves Skyrim for its exploration and her ability to be super casual despite playing for stretches of 4-5 hours from time to time. Can you do that in ESO, or does it still require traditional MMO type grinding? Or if that kind of grinding exists, can you still play and enjoy the game without doing traditional MMO type grinding while continuing to progress? Basically want Skyrim online, but not MMO grinding. Is ESO the right game for that? Or would it be TOR?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Fuck that sucks. Is there any MMO out there like Skyrim? Where you can aimlessly wander and be casual and not need to grind?

Well they did add that scaling content like Skyrim but that's probably where the similarity stops.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck that sucks. Is there any MMO out there like Skyrim? Where you can aimlessly wander and be casual and not need to grind?

While very different then Skyrim in most ways, Guild Wars 2 might fit that description. It's casual friendly and no real grind to be honest, and exploration is one the strength of GW2.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Well i think ESO is exactly that kind of MMO. You can wander aimlessly for hours and find new stuff everywhere (quests, little dungeons, etc.). With level scaling you can basically go anywhere and do any quest you like. Endgame will probably be "grinding" for gear/points, but as a casual that dosent matter at all. And the best thing, buy once and play as much as you want to. No monthly cost is really great for casuals.

• 1Solidarity