The Elder Scrolls Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

willzilla

<Bronze Donator>
And yeah def get Minion and a nice base mod setup to make things smoother. For AddOns I run:

Advanced Filters
AwesomeGuildStore
Azurah - Interface Enhanced
Combat Cloud
Combat Metrics
Destinations
Dustman
Greymind Quick Slot Bar
HarvestMap
LoreBooks
Lost Treasure
Lui Extended
MultiCraft
NoAccidentalStealing
Potation Maker
Research Assistant
SkyShards
Srendarr - Aura, Buff & Debuff Tracker
Tamriel Trade Centre
Urich's Skill Point Finder
Votan's Fish Fillet
Votan's Minimap

I believe some of these may be a bit outdated but that's just my current list from Minion lol.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I installed a bunch of addons, logged in to stuff I didn't really understand enough to configure and now play less :p

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I just started this recently, trying it out during the free weekend and ended up subbing for 1 month. Absolutely beautiful world and it feels like the ES world, but the mechanics/fun-wise the game is pretty awful compared to a game like WoW/EQ etc. I tried every class and they all seem to play very similar. Everyone can be everything in a mmorpg is just a flat out fucking retarded idea. Throwing cliff racers at mobs is no different than throwing fire etc, its just the same classes it seems reskinned on one another. Every tank having to share the same 1h/board skills etc, just ugh who got paid for this?

And for some reason Zenimax decided bows were to be absolute shit and from talking to raiding min/max players are relegated to basically applying dots and being a 2nd bar ability compared to other dps classes apparently and are not close. Bad idea. Trying to morph the ES single player worlds into a mmorpg just didn't translate very well from what Ive seen so far. That said, I'll fuck around in it just to run around, read lore do quests etc to experience the world which is what the game seems to do well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xerge

<Donor>
So, I just started this recently, trying it out during the free weekend and ended up subbing for 1 month. Absolutely beautiful world and it feels like the ES world, but the mechanics/fun-wise the game is pretty awful compared to a game like WoW/EQ etc. I tried every class and they all seem to play very similar. Everyone can be everything in a mmorpg is just a flat out fucking retarded idea. Throwing cliff racers at mobs is no different than throwing fire etc, its just the same classes it seems reskinned on one another. Every tank having to share the same 1h/board skills etc, just ugh who got paid for this?

And for some reason Zenimax decided bows were to be absolute shit and from talking to raiding min/max players are relegated to basically applying dots and being a 2nd bar ability compared to other dps classes apparently and are not close. Bad idea. Trying to morph the ES single player worlds into a mmorpg just didn't translate very well from what Ive seen so far. That said, I'll fuck around in it just to run around, read lore do quests etc to experience the world which is what the game seems to do well.

You absolutely nailed it. They have a firm stance on 'play it your way'. Which is great until you get a fucking LARPER pulling 8k dps and youre doing 70% of the groups damage. Essentially their fundamental core, ie the combat system, is largely boring as fuck. The classes and builds in ESO revolve around static ability rotations on bosses because if you can burn a boss down in 2 minutes, avoid mechanics, why move out of stupid? Just heal thru it. I won't get into the fact that the class I play has at minimum two short duration buffs (20/25 seconds respectively) that need to have 100% uptime. YO ZOS 2004 called and they want their gameplay back. Every class aside for nightblades have serious complaints about balance and the combat system.

If you can look past this the game will entertain you tho. Everything is voice acted, even small side quests which leads to a fun and engaging world to fuck around in.

Plus once you do an assassination and watch the kill cam you'll be hooked anyway. Fucking damn I love and hate this game.

Screenshot_20180821_095156.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I really love the world, its beautiful and lots of great story, intrigue, lore etc. Would love the gameplay to match it, because they have truly created an iconic series over the years.

Honestly, I felt the EXACT same way about LotRO when it came out. Just cant believe there is no class built around like daedric summons or a bow class, those were the 2 most well known playstyles probably and they were just like "fuck you guys" no stealth archers or gravelord tanks with undead summons. Really dumb idea to alienate some of the core players from your franchise by not allowing that kind of play. If say, the warden bear was a major part of the class, tanking, etc, it would be unique, but its just basically a DoT.

I would hope they overhaul the game in the future, but I doubt it if its been around for this long already

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I play this very casually. The game is beautiful and I love the quests/stories/voice-work. At the end of the day, though, the combat is lame and the scaling makes the game very sterile. Going back to the first zones I was in 50 levels later and basically still being the same "strength" seems so strange to me. Why did they do that?

• 3Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Yeah, I play this very casually. The game is beautiful and I love the quests/stories/voice-work. At the end of the day, though, the combat is lame and the scaling makes the game very sterile. Going back to the first zones I was in 50 levels later and basically still being the same "strength" seems so strange to me. Why did they do that?

This bugs the shit out of me. The game use to be based on levels. My warden feels like he hasn't grown in power much at all; apparently maxing CP level out helps a lot, but this leads to another companding problem, these fucks don't understand that their game is gear-centric, and our combat stats barely improve as you level. It's all gear set combinations and CP level which determine your character's overall sense of power. What this translate to is if I take off my gear my warden will die to a mob outside of a city gate. Gear on and I can destroy shit. Working as intended.

I could savagely rant about this all day but i'll just leave this video here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Max out your CP it does make a difference. I had a tank warden before I quit and the CPs helped a lot with ability procs. I was also making an destro ice warden, not sure if its still good. Maxed 12 crafters, burned myself out and battlegrounds were full of proc sets and VMaelstrom drops sucked ass. Did get emperor on one of the smaller battlegrounds within the first day after the weekly reset tho =p that was fun when necropotence sorcs were OP on top of the emperor buff hahaha

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So I decided to take the plunge and pick this up seeing as I had a spare £50 in my steam wallet.

I'm brand new to the game and I'm essentially going to be playing solo (though I will party with randoms if need be). Is there any good beginner class suggestions? I feel a bit weird with specific race bonuses because I don't want to hit max level and then find that i'm a race that really sucks on it or whatever.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
So I decided to take the plunge and pick this up seeing as I had a spare £50 in my steam wallet.

I'm brand new to the game and I'm essentially going to be playing solo (though I will party with randoms if need be). Is there any good beginner class suggestions? I feel a bit weird with specific race bonuses because I don't want to hit max level and then find that i'm a race that really sucks on it or whatever.

This guy - Most Recent Builds for Elder Scrolls Online - AlcastHQ makes builds. I followed one pre summerset for stam sorc and went through the entire game just fine and quit once I hit end game gear CP.

Though you can probably do everything regardless of class/race as there isn't really anything challenging solo/group that isn't a raid.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
New expansion coming out
  • A whole new zone to explore: Elsweyr
  • An epic main story quest line that ties into the Season of the Dragon
  • A powerful new Class: Necromancer
  • A challenging new 12-player Trial: Sunspire
  • Massive new world events: Dragon Attacks
  • A huge amount of unique delves, public dungeons, and stand-alone quests
  • A host of updates and quality-of-life improvement

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Hmm, Depends on how much fun Necro is, I might give this another try.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think it comes down to the QoL changes. Many people have already touched on some of the main issues. I haven't read anything about the expansion but if they would just make an attempt to liven the combat up, this would be probably the best filler MMO in this down period. To me I tip the scales in FFXIV's favor for now but ESO could be that game. Seems like every recent MMO just "misses" on something in their core.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Is this expansion adding a marketplace that isn't gay as fuck or is that still a no?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I haven't even looked at this game since it's release and some thereafter but I just couldn't get into it. As I said earlier, I felt FFXIV and BSO were a bit more fun at the time. Is there much grouping, raiding? or anything that would be of community value? I'm hearing that most people just enjoying solo questing through the story and that's about the extent of it. I like the idea of dragons but will they add any value to the game?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I haven't even looked at this game since it's release and some thereafter but I just couldn't get into it. As I said earlier, I felt FFXIV and BSO were a bit more fun at the time. Is there much grouping, raiding? or anything that would be of community value? I'm hearing that most people just enjoying solo questing through the story and that's about the extent of it. I like the idea of dragons but will they add any value to the game?

That's about the extent of it and PvP is still a mess. So I think most anyone just logs in, plays through the single player (You can do that now without having to do any side questing - the main quests scale so you can fly through them across expansions) and then they just log out and play something else for 10 months.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>

The game has a dungeon finder with a massive list of dungeons to pick from and unlock as you level up and also uses a scaled open world; so you can do any quest content at any level. The game has limited raid content called trials and a group pve arena; there's also the solo arena which on Veteran difficult is a player tester, many give up on it.

As far as community goes on PC guilds are very active and the guild allows you to join five at once. ESO can give you at least 4 months of fun if you were playing WoW or other tab targeters for any length of time.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
God damn this game is good. I'm glad they did this free week so I could try it and realize how good it was. I've been missing out.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Cringe
  • 1WTF