The Elder Scrolls Online

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I wish I could get into the combat for this game, I like just about everything else, and there's ton of content, and they release new content fairly regularly...but damn I find the combat awful.

The problem is that it's just too homogenized. There is almost 0 difference between classes and it makes combat extremely stale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Mine was just the character moving/combat animations, especially for melee. It just feels off and disconnected, It was hard to enjoy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried the game too, but I didn't care for the combat at all. It prevented me from getting into the game.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The need to do the animation cancelling bullshit to do anywhere near decent damage killed my enjoyment of the game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I tried the game too, but I didn't care for the combat at all. It prevented me from getting into the game.
It's really too bad, because I'd love to explore the stories/lore present in the game as I've always been a fan of the Elder Scrolls world. Plus, I'm hankering for an MMO that isn't WoW. But, the combat just isn't something I can get over.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They are releasing another expansion, well it seems to be 4 modules, not sure I get exactly what they are doing. This is Skyrim getting into the online version.

Elder Scroll next expansion

I wish I could get into the combat for this game, I like just about everything else, and there's ton of content, and they release new content fairly regularly...but damn I find the combat awful.
The 4 module release is what I think they usually do. 1 large expansion, 1 dungeon/trial release, 1 smaller story zone, 1 dungeon/ trial release. Each release beating about 2 months apart with the finale at year end. Then repeat next year. I'm really looking forward to it.

I never hated the combat but I've always played it using a controller and never tried to take it seriously. Now I like it and I'm starting to get more into pvp. I might start to do some Cyrodil once I finish the other faction stories.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The need to do the animation cancelling bullshit to do anywhere near decent damage killed my enjoyment of the game.
I've never heard of animation canceling. Are you talking about the Light or Heavy attack between each skill? Because the purpose of that is to do extra damage in rotation, not cancel an animation. I can understand why people used to other MMO's wouldn't like it, but I've never heard it called that.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Really got into this game. Just wrapped up Rivenspire. (Vampires)

Very awesome story arc and had some hilarious characters.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've never heard of animation canceling. Are you talking about the Light or Heavy attack between each skill? Because the purpose of that is to do extra damage in rotation, not cancel an animation. I can understand why people used to other MMO's wouldn't like it, but I've never heard it called that.
Yes. The weaving of whatever the eso community calls it

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What is the general consensus here on this game? I have a friend begging me to play it, but every time I watch him play via a stream it looks kinda 'bleh' to me.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I tried multiple time, It is a beautiful looking game, but very repetitive when it comes down to questing, exploring the same #asset1 cave/ruin etc. I prefer GW2 with better class/world/quest design over this for sure,.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I tried multiple time, It is a beautiful looking game, but very repetitive when it comes down to questing, exploring the same #asset1 cave/ruin etc. I prefer GW2 with better class/world/quest design over this for sure,.
Yeah, I tried to get him to play GW2 instead since its free, but wouldn't hear of it. He's the type that won't do anything unless its his idea first.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Great game and I got hundreds of hours out of the stories and quests. Yeah they are repetitive but if you like the lore and wanna veg this is a good one.

I have wrapped up all the stories so I’ve moved on but will check out Skyrim DLC this summer.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Friends have been playing alot, and there was some supposed client shrink that enticed me.

I downloaded 90 gigs through steam, then the launcher grabbed another 55, then another 8. Size on disc is 105... and this is a shrink? That was very unpleasant on my shitty potato third world connection.

When I got in to the login screen... the proportions on the models are just... way way off. I can't pin down much beyond an unnatural torso shape and huge formula one driver necks, but there's just a sense of wrongness when I look at them. Like this character has some kind of degenerative genetic disorder.

There's an odd forward lean in the idle and the wrist joint is in the wrong place.

I spent a couple hours trying to get something halfway human looking without much luck.
20200228165534_1.jpg

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Friends have been playing alot, and there was some supposed client shrink that enticed me.

I downloaded 90 gigs through steam, then the launcher grabbed another 55, then another 8. Size on disc is 105... and this is a shrink? That was very unpleasant on my shitty potato third world connection.

When I got in to the login screen... the proportions on the models are just... way way off. I can't pin down much beyond an unnatural torso shape and huge formula one driver necks, but there's just a sense of wrongness when I look at them. Like this character has some kind of degenerative genetic disorder.

There's an odd forward lean in the idle and the wrist joint is in the wrong place.

I spent a couple hours trying to get something halfway human looking without much luck.
I just started playing this with some friends. Non-humanoid stuff -- mounts, dragons, etc., and the environment -- looks fairly decent. But the character models aren't very good at all. Really difficult to get into the game when you can't stand the way your character looks and animates....

Also, WHY the fuck do lizard females have breasts? That has to the one of the most retarded things I've seen in any game.

• 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It is surprising how unimaginative the class abilities are. Almost everything is damage + some completely useless 2% effect on something you don't even use. Where's the roots and snares and spriit of the wolf and mesmerize and other basic crap every mmo should have?

I did find a snare but it lasts 1 second... that's not particularly useful. Is there a root in the game?

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
It is surprising how unimaginative the class abilities are. Almost everything is damage + some completely useless 2% effect on something you don't even use. Where's the roots and snares and spriit of the wolf and mesmerize and other basic crap every mmo should have?

I did find a snare but it lasts 1 second... that's not particularly useful. Is there a root in the game?
Wouldn't want players doing anything outside the bounds of developer intent now would we? Better to make everyone do identical DPS with as little uniqueness between classes as possible. For balance of course.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This game's art is so strange. Some things look and animate fantastic. Whereas other parts look nearly as amateurish as EQ2.

Even though I know the community here hates such things, I do appreciate that there exists a dungeon finder in ESO. At this point in my MMO career I really don't have any interest or patience for running around doing quests or looking for groups to do content.

Anyway, I'm confused over the skill point system. I'm currently following a guide and placing points into the suggested skills for my Templar (playing a healer). However, at level 26 now I've acquired all the skills I can get according to the guide yet I have plenty of points left over. What do I do? Just put them in anything else that suits my fancy? I don't want to spend points now only to discover I should've saved them for later? Is that even a thing?