The Elder Scrolls Online

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I played most of them and I like the beginning stages of new games. There is something that attracts me to new mmorpgs that just start up. How the game and community develops. Its well worth the cost of entry to me, even for a month or two to get to cap.
I like this as well; mostly these days I look at MMOs as a set time experience. I enjoy leveling a few characters to max (in most cases) and then I am on to something else. Even games I really enjoy, like TSW and GW2, once I am at max level, there is only so much that I want to do. If I can get 6 months of play out of a game before I stop logging in, these days that's a victory. I spent 4 years playing EQ and almost everything has gotten diminishing allotments of my time since. We'll see with ESO how far that goes but if I play it for 3 months, an Imp edition and a 3 month sub isn't that much to risk.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Guy on my Facebook was in on the last beta weekend and played for 4 hours. He has been praising the game non stop. I stepped in and nicly informed him that had he played it more he would have come to realize there is no meat to the game, it's on rails and when he said it was just like Skyrim that it was one of the more ridiculous things you could say about it.

He unfriended me and then responded to me in hopes I wouldn't respond back however he tagged a mutual friend in his post so I replied back and now he blocked me. It's crazy how rabid people who have no real idea about this game are getting.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Er, so he enjoyed himself, but since you know the game is bad, he should agree with you? Not really following, but your reply sounds very Utnayenish in nature.

Game is not on hardcore rails like WOW or Rift. One can gripe about the combat or graphics, but it's not a WOW clone. Are you in closed beta? Where did you get your opinion from here?

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
I agree with Gecko. ESO does not have the traditional quest hubs associated with other themepark MMOs that move the player along a specific path through a zone.
Out of the entry shoot, I picked up a quest. It had me go to three places in the starting zone. At each of these places I had to do something and there was another quest to finish. When I was done doing those three quests, it brought me back to the village where I would have another quest, which brought me to a second zone. In the second zone, I was told to go to a spot. I went there, and there was another quest. After doing that quest, I was taken to a city, where there were 4-5 quests to pick up, usually in clumps of 2. Sometimes at those locations, there was another quest to pick up.

I most certainly was moved along a specific path through those zones. The second zone certainly had a hub where I picked up several quests.

Blackwulf

N00b
Out of the entry shoot, I picked up a quest. It had me go to three places in the starting zone. At each of these places I had to do something and there was another quest to finish. When I was done doing those three quests, it brought me back to the village where I would have another quest, which brought me to a second zone. In the second zone, I was told to go to a spot. I went there, and there was another quest. After doing that quest, I was taken to a city, where there were 4-5 quests to pick up, usually in clumps of 2. Sometimes at those locations, there was another quest to pick up.

I most certainly was moved along a specific path through those zones. The second zone certainly had a hub where I picked up several quests.
The main story line certainly has a order you need to go in. Each zone is based on a level, so you need to stick around level appropriate areas. Other than that, you can pretty much do what you want in any order you want, and the areas get bigger and bigger. A lot of the stuff to do is discovered, and not found in hubs with 30 guys standing around with a yellow exclamation point on their head. It feels very different than SWTOR and TERA and other WOW quest hub clones.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
yeesh,more incentives to pre-order. at least from Uplay:
If you pre-order the Standard Edition ($59.99) of TESO from Uplay, you'll not only get the 3-day headstart and pre-order items for the MMORPG, but also a copy of Assassin's Creed III.
Opting for the Imperial Edition ($79.99) will get you 5 days of headstart, an assortment of digital items on top of the pre-order bonuses, and a copy of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
A headstart to the headstart eh? That's new.
rrr_img_58978.jpg

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
108$ for imperial version here. no thanks for a game hopelessly stuck between trying to be singleplayer and mmo at the same time. its gonna be a huge success due to all the consoltards buying it because of the Elder Scrolls name

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
I might be mentally challenged but surely there are other starting classes than the 3 or 4 that I saw during the BETA weekend?

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
I might be mentally challenged but surely there are other starting classes than the 3 or 4 that I saw during the BETA weekend?
no theres only 4 starter classes they are heavily into the whole make your own class (wich prolly gonna suck ass compared to everyone elses) thing

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Er, so he enjoyed himself, but since you know the game is bad, he should agree with you? Not really following, but your reply sounds very Utnayenish in nature.

Game is not on hardcore rails like WOW or Rift. One can gripe about the combat or graphics, but it's not a WOW clone. Are you in closed beta? Where did you get your opinion from here?
You must be new around here. I think I was the first person on this site that was playing this. Nice try though sweet cheeks.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
inb4 1 year of class balancing.
It's the Mythic guys.. Mass nerfs incoming by week three. Repeated again at month two, and every three months afterwards until no fun remains....

Tarrant, my point was more about you lecturing your friend about how he shouldn't like a game he likes. While the game has some convenience factors, it doesn't strike me as a WOW theme park clone, although I definitely could be wrong with my limited playtime. Don't be an Utnayish buzzkiller, dude. I have the opposite problem. I want to like this game, but so far I don't. I'll try it again and see if it can put any hooks into me.

It's a slotted skill game. Eventually you collect lots and lots of different skills but can only slot a few and that is how you build your character. In the real world this means race for the optimal 5 skills for your chosen role....wait for a nerf of the optimal set, race to get the new optimal set.... I for one love that design!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Don't be an Utnayish buzzkiller, dude. I have the opposite problem. I want to like this game, but so far I don't. I'll try it again and see if it can put any hooks into me.
Yeah Tarrant, don't tell the truth about this game here.
rolleyes.png

ESO's questing "exploration" is a cleverly disguised quest hub. So instead of going to a segment and being led their by that "?" on your minimap, you have some POI's randomly show up on your compass and you will find quest hubs there. Where-ever there is a mark on your compass, you go there, and you will have quests. If you do not have a landmark on your compass, you don't have any quests.

In a nutshell, instead of an NPC telling you where to go to get to the next quest huddle group, the compass is doing it for you making you think like you are exploring when it is completely on rails anyway and didn't change one damn thing. A nice Dog and Pony show so marketing can have a heyday.

At this point, that mentality of design should shock literally no one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How is the loot handled in this game? Is it all BOE like in every other game in the last 10 yrs? Is there rare mobs off the beaten path that drop some good shit? Or is it all just hidden behind quests and instances or scripted encounters?