The Elder Scrolls Online

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
What dumb fucks. Then add the basic shit to the default UI and put everyone on the same page. This is why listening to player-base is so retarded. From what I heard the original UI in game had all the basic information, but players whined it wasnt ES enough so they removed it and addons had to take their place. So why the fuck would they make changes to appease a audience that doesn't want that information at all, even when its given to them in the default UI. How the hell does making it a addon, suddenly compel them to want it again. Just another case of certain players not happy enough to play their way, they want everyone else to play their way also.
I was around when all this happened. The first builds of the game when it hit closed beta (Feb / March 2013) had all the UI elements in them and they worked flawlessly. Name plates, combat logs, SCT etc etc..

What happened was many people were not happy with the game and said "this isn't an elder scrolls game" with a list of complaints:

World is static
Questing linear
Not much stuff to grab
Combat was terrible
etc..

The developers essentially started stripping UI elements out of the game (slowly over the course of 2 or 3 months) and said "See we made it more Elder Scrolls like" despite people pretty much hating it. I remember early polls on the CB forums showing 90%+ of the players not liking the changes and they didn't give a shit. I don't remember ever being in a closed beta with that many players agreeing on anything.

Right around then (End of May / June) was when people starting bitching about the developers not listening to the players and we got the "we have a vision and have internal metrics thank you but no thank you for your feed back".

They were unable to change the game to make it anything close to ES so they did the next best thing and changed the most visible part (UI) which also happens to be one of the worse things about the series. They doubled down on stupid and are continuing the trend.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
lol I have been watching people play this weekend on the pts. As of the new changes it takes 6-7 days to get vr10. Not played, but playing each night.
I honestly do not see how anyone could get from level 1 to VR10 in 6-7 days. If they could it would be extremely unhealthy.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I was around when all this happened. The first builds of the game when it hit closed beta (Feb / March 2013) had all the UI elements in them and they worked flawlessly. Name plates, combat logs, SCT etc etc..

What happened was many people were not happy with the game and said "this isn't an elder scrolls game" with a list of complaints:

World is static
Questing linear
Not much stuff to grab
Combat was terrible
etc..

The developers essentially started stripping UI elements out of the game (slowly over the course of 2 or 3 months) and said "See we made it more Elder Scrolls like" despite people pretty much hating it. I remember early polls on the CB forums showing 90%+ of the players not liking the changes and they didn't give a shit. I don't remember ever being in a closed beta with that many players agreeing on anything.

Right around then (End of May / June) was when people starting bitching about the developers not listening to the players and we got the "we have a vision and have internal metrics thank you but no thank you for your feed back".

They were unable to change the game to make it anything close to ES so they did the next best thing and changed the most visible part (UI) which also happens to be one of the worse things about the series. They doubled down on stupid and are continuing the trend.
It seems to me the most common complaints on the closed beta forums are all related to the Ui or lack thereof so you would think by now they should have a pretty good idea of what people like or don't like. I was always under the impression that by design the UI was minimalist and austere with the full intentions of letting the players create all the addons to improve the UI. That is how it always happened in the TES single player games so I assumed that was the design decision for TESO.

Stripping down the API for addons and removing/limiting functionality is not a smart move IMO.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
vr1-10....1-50 70 hours they say if you don't explore or read text
VR10 means you did all the PVE content in all 3 factions. The thing about VR ranks is that you have to do a lot of the VR PVE content in a group because of its difficulty. Even if you live, breathe, eat and crap TESO for as many hours a day as possible, you are still going to need other people VR1+ rank to finish the other two faction's PVE content.

I am all for forced grouping in those last 10 levels. God I swear I will be psyched if there are AOE groups. Kids these days with their easy solo levelling and their rest exp...<shakes fists>....

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First thing I did for about an hour in beta was try and locate a combat log. I thought I was bugged. Now I read they took it out on purpose? wtf. Seriously what a stupid move.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
First thing I did for about an hour in beta was try and locate a combat log. I thought I was bugged. Now I read they took it out on purpose? wtf. Seriously what a stupid move.
SW:TOR did the same thing before launch. Good times.

signati_sl

shitlord
There's so much in the last couple pages I want to comment about, but it's late and that bomb that Bondurant dropped just has to be addressed.

I really doubt there's any truth to that. The response on Reddit is probably a lot closer to the truth. My bet is that they announced a few changes that are controversial, shit hit the fan on the forums, and the forum drama produced hyperbole. Next thing you know, somebody started posting their rant as many places as they could.

If there's any truth to that, then they need somebody with enough sense to gauge well what the community says and communicate it well to the developers because it would mean that when someone says they don't like the color of the trim, ZOS thinks they need to knock out the walls. Were that post true in its entirety, then it would be a legendary WTF, especially this close to release.

All the API may need is for enemy players (not NPCs) to only reveal health to the API. All that XP needs is a measure of control in PvP so that people who don't want to do PvE don't gimp their ability levels compared to those who carebear for a while and then dip their toes into Cyrodiil. The bit about XP is shady too because the author comes across as if *all* XP is changed and then doubles back to say it affects VR levels.

Nerfing all crafting? WTF? There is no way that the same people who made the ESO I've played would do that. Not even if the Derp Fairy jerks stupid juice into their coffee pot. If that part turned out to be true, then next we would need to ask for company-wide toxicology panels at ZOS to find out what they're smoking and whether it can be synthesized.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
They just released a video re: crafting where they talk about that very thing of crafting the best items. It really does give lie to the whole bit; that very much sounds like someone preemptively shitting on a change ZO has said they are going to make the API to combat what was already discussed. All IMO, no warranties expressed or implied.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Anyone knows if you have to play 3 different characters to discover all the content ? Or can you at least travel to all zones and do all quests (besides the main stories) with a single character ? Also, is there any (planned?) mentoring/down-leveling/exp-turned-off system ?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Anyone knows if you have to play 3 different characters to discover all the content ? Or can you at least travel to all zones and do all quests (besides the main stories) with a single character ? Also, is there any (planned?) mentoring/down-leveling/exp-turned-off system ?
One of the main points of this game is that you can go and do other factions quests once you hit level 50 and gain veteran ranks from them.

One of the main points of this game is that you can go and do other factions quests once you hit level 50 and gain veteran ranks from them.
How does that work Draeg? Do you get down leveled or basically put into an instance of the other factions' zones that is high level?

Also, is there any way, when low level, to get to the other factions' lands and do their quests or snag their blue items? For instance, if you are NOT Ald Domeri or whatever it's called, you don't get access to those blue daggers from the dungeon you go to for the fighter's guild. Those blue daggers are awesome sauce for lowbie dual wielders. I'd love for their to be some way to run around killing off all the boss mobs to grab their good loot.

Blackwulf

N00b
How does that work Draeg? Do you get down leveled or basically put into an instance of the other factions' zones that is high level?

Also, is there any way, when low level, to get to the other factions' lands and do their quests or snag their blue items? For instance, if you are NOT Ald Domeri or whatever it's called, you don't get access to those blue daggers from the dungeon you go to for the fighter's guild. Those blue daggers are awesome sauce for lowbie dual wielders. I'd love for their to be some way to run around killing off all the boss mobs to grab their good loot.
Once you do your realm's dungeon, you get access to the other two.

Once you do your realm's dungeon, you get access to the other two.
I am not sure I understand. Do you mean the instanced dungeon? I was thinking of the non instanced dungeon that you go to for the fighter's guild quest. Or even better, getting access to the overworld boss mobs.

Blackwulf

N00b
I am not sure I understand. Do you mean the instanced dungeon? I was thinking of the non instanced dungeon that you go to for the fighter's guild quest. Or even better, getting access to the overworld boss mobs.
Sorry, yeah, I meant instanced 4 man dungeons. Misunderstood you.

Vitality

HUSTLE
A weeks worth of content is hardly a main point of a game expected to fill atleast a month.

It'd be a different story if you could actually interact with your enemies territory, or some kind of dynamic content. I get that there might be level 50's of the opposing force, but it's a slim chance as they'd have to be able to access the level 50 phase.

I'd like to hear some feedback on this topic regarding enemy 50's in the overworld, or any kind of dynamic, replayable PVE content post 50.

There's no way I can drive interest in this game to my more PVE centric friends without the previous two key words.

TL;DR: Don't buy ESO expecting it's pve content model to be sustainable long term