The Elder Scrolls Online

esloan_sl

shitlord
With a megaserver no. How about you?
I think they are just getting ready for the huge hit the server is going to take on release. The megaserver is just one large cluster of servers and those will get hammered just like any other server or servers on release day. They use the overflow as a temporary fix until the amount of people logging into the game starts to level off. Makes sense to me.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
type of server is pretty irrelevant when it comes to populations and launch trouble. Every mmo has them. any company not preparing for them is incompetant.
So why even have an overflow server? This goes against everything the megaserver tech is supposed to accomplish. Also if you choose to play on overflow it doesn't even put you into a queue to get to the regular megaserver.

esloan_sl

shitlord
Well, WoW, for all intents and purposes, has a megaserver technology now that they have started clustering server groups. They still have queues at times too.

Really, the megaserver is nothing special. Its a fancy marketing term for something a lot of MMOs use already. It will still get hit with problems on launch day and this is the way they are lessening that.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
So why even have an overflow server? This goes against everything the megaserver tech is supposed to accomplish. Also if you choose to play on overflow it doesn't even put you into a queue to get to the regular megaserver.
Actually, an overflow is one of the few things about this megaserver setup that makes complete sense. The bigger question is will it work with their phasing and backend office support for theor game. It sure didn't for the last two betas.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Queues for release make total sense and I expect queues to exist. I have no idea why an overflow makes sense with a megaserver, but I guess I don't understand the relationship between the phases and the megaserver.

My perception of the megaserver is that there's a central database being accessed by many different servers that all have ownership of different phases of each zone. I don't know what separates an overflow server with one of the servers in the megaserver other than you don't have access to Cyrodiil. Perhaps there's some physical separation that has more loosely coupled access to the central database that allows for a more modular system.

Either way it's fucking dumb and the idea of phasing sucks so their particular failed implementation is a sidenote in the disaster of their design.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, WoW, for all intents and purposes, has a megaserver technology now that they have started clustering server groups. They still have queues at times too.

Really, the megaserver is nothing special. Its a fancy marketing term for something a lot of MMOs use already. It will still get hit with problems on launch day and this is the way they are lessening that.
Actually the megaserver does sound great for keeping zones populated and eliminating dead servers. It's a step in the right direction. I can also understand a queue system early on because a mega server still can only handle so many people at a time. The overflow doesn't make sense at all because why not just include that in the megaserver?

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I must say this thread has been highly entertaining. The launch day is going to be something what with the promise of lag-free spit-shine polish and all, and the API entrenchment. Went back and read a few of the early comments from Ut, including the ones where Res, esloan, and Vit first came in for defense. Blackwulf was already established by that point.

It's starting to dawn on me what this feels like.. Independence Day the movie. Got people cheering and waving in L.A. at the alien ships and all. Even Ut has a role:

rrr_img_63254.jpg

The funny thing is, the craziest guy in the whole movie was right all along in the end.

esloan_sl

shitlord
Actually the megaserver does sound great for keeping zones populated and eliminating dead servers. It's a step in the right direction. I can also understand a queue system early on because a mega server still can only handle so many people at a time. The overflow doesn't make sense at all because why not just include that in the megaserver?
Hell, I don't know. Maybe the overflow servers are rented servers? I mean, they expect x number of players on launch day and for a few weeks after launch. After that, some people will play less per day and some people will quit playing at all. Why invest in a ton of servers that they know are only going to be used for launch? Instead, have their main server cluster and then a rented cluster for the overflow?

Hell, I don't know if that is even feasible but it makes sense.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Might be that when you get so many people on a megaserver shit starts lagging out and quests start bugging. Still think going to overflow eliminating you from a queue is stupid. If you could go to overflow and then get a pop up box to go to megaserver it would be fine. Overflow just isn't to be an option for those wanting to PVP which is what the majority seem to want.

esloan_sl

shitlord
I must say this thread has been highly entertaining. The launch day is going to be something what with the promise of lag-free spit-shine polish and all, and the API entrenchment. Went back and read a few of the early comments from Ut, including the ones where Res, esloan, and Vit first came in for defense. Blackwulf was already established by that point.

It's starting to dawn on me what this feels like.. Independence Day the movie. Got people cheering and waving in L.A. at the alien ships and all. Even Ut has a role:

rrr_img_63254.jpg

The funny thing is, the craziest guy in the whole movie was right all along in the end.
I really haven't defended anything. I just said that I enjoyed the game. I have problems with some of the things Zenimax disabled in the API gutting. I have questions about endgame content. Iknowthere will be problems with the servers on release because every MMO has them.

I enjoy the game. Its not revolutionary and I don't think its the savior of the MMO world but its fun for me. I just think its funny because I have seen few people as zealous in their attacks as Utnayan with his attacks on Zenimax and ESO.

esloan_sl

shitlord
Might be that when you get so many people on a megaserver shit starts lagging out and quests start bugging. Still think going to overflow eliminating you from a queue is stupid. If you could go to overflow and then get a pop up box to go to megaserver it would be fine. Overflow just isn't to be an option for those wanting to PVP which is what the majority seem to want.
So, there is not an option to go directly from the overflow to the megaserver? I didn't know that. Where did you read it? Not doubting you but I had no idea. If thats the case, seems like there would be a more elegant way to do it for sure. lol

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
So, there is not an option to go directly from the overflow to the megaserver? I didn't know that. Where did you read it? Not doubting you but I had no idea. If thats the case, seems like there would be a more elegant way to do it for sure. lol
I may be wrong but fairly sure it states being on the overflow server does not put you in a queue for the main server ? (May have completely misread that though)

Also no worries , again you all are forgetting , Matt Firor has guaranteed through his promise you will have have a smooth and lag free launch experience. He promised.

esloan_sl

shitlord
I may be wrong but fairly sure it states being on the overflow server does not put you in a queue for the main server ? (May have completely misread that though)

Also no worries , again you all are forgetting , Matt Firor has guaranteed through his promise you will have have a smooth and lag free launch experience. He promised.

Lol. They all promise. First one to actually accomplish it will be just that. the first one. My plan on the first day is just to get a few characters created for name reservation. That is about all I expect to accomplish. Anything else will be a bonus.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I've got to ask , what's the fucking point of it not putting you in the regular server queue ? Am I missing something or does that just seem , well , moronic ?

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i never thought in this day and age people would be so critical of a company for trying to ensure a game launch isnt a clusterfuck.(it still will be)