The Elder Scrolls Online

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
People were making bots in EQ, a game with no API whatsoever.
It had a combat log, though. Bots in ESO are apparently going to have to do it all visually. Running circles and grinding mobs / dying in cyrodiil (assuming ESO rewards failure like most mmo's) should be easy. Being able to fight well with it (combat augmentation) is going to be another thing entirely with information only coming visually, and even then, its super fucking ambiguous and requires you to do large scale pvp with heavy effects / particles / animations.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It had a combat log, though.
The point is, in EQ, you bypassed any API whatsoever; you dug stuff straight from the client's memory. There's nothing stopping people from doing the same thing with TESO if all they did was to remove the access to data thru an API. If the data is in memory, the botmakers will find it, parse it, and use it. The only way to hide it is never to send it to the client.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
The point is, in EQ, you bypassed any API whatsoever; you dug stuff straight from the client's memory. There's nothing stopping people from doing the same thing with TESO if all they did was to remove the access to data thru an API. If the data is in memory, the botmakers will find it, parse it, and use it. The only way to hide it is never to send it to the client.
I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to really continue this :3 EQ was just about the most hacked mmo, though, regardless. Macroquest and ShowEQ came in very easy to use packaged formulas that very rarely got anyone banned. Good modern game companies use intrusive shit like system scallers and .dll's (P99 uses something like this, it doesn't run all the time, but it's there to be activated when needed) which combined with the need for an internet connection can detect this shit pretty fast. Bots are rampant on WoW now, but only because Blizzard has declined to do anything about them (most still pay a sub).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sub Reddits usually drink the kool aid of the subject of their own subreddit more than any other group. The system is designed to gravitate toward approval of the subject matter. If you enter a forum like this and say, "TESO sucks because XYZ" all the pro TESO people will respond with arguments and you can basically continue it to infinity. If you enter reddit and make the same argument you get downvoted and probably just leave.

This works out okay for subreddits about subjects that people are generally positive toward, ex:Oculus Rift - The Future of Virtual Entertainmentor subreddits that are more general ex:Quality Gaming Content and Discussion -- /r/Games

I am always kind of amazed at how good WoW bots are. Most of those babies are detecting graphics changes and responding. Pixel triggering is kinda cool. I have seen them log off if you mess with them. Some have basic chat routines to mimic player behavior. When I played MUDs, writing a well scripted bot was, if not encouraged, then accepted. I felt like a real nerd when I could automate my hunting in Gemstone or a Diku mud. The stuff that modern bots do is a whole world of nerd cool further up the programming food chain.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am always kind of amazed at how good WoW bots are. Most of those babies are detecting graphics changes and responding. Pixel triggering is kinda cool. I have seen them log off if you mess with them. Some have basic chat routines to mimic player behavior. When I played MUDs, writing a well scripted bot was, if not encouraged, then accepted. I felt like a real nerd when I could automate my hunting in Gemstone or a Diku mud. The stuff that modern bots do is a whole world of nerd cool further up the programming food chain.
Bots are better than some players in the BGs in WoW :|

Sub Reddits usually drink the kool aid of the subject of their own subreddit more than any other group. The system is designed to gravitate toward approval of the subject matter. If you enter a forum like this and say, "TESO sucks because XYZ" all the pro TESO people will respond with arguments and you can basically continue it to infinity. If you enter reddit and make the same argument you get downvoted and probably just leave.

This works out okay for subreddits about subjects that people are generally positive toward, ex:Oculus Rift - The Future of Virtual Entertainmentor subreddits that are more general ex:Quality Gaming Content and Discussion -- /r/Games
Funny thing is... post release, the subreddit will swing the other way if GW2 is any example. Reddit mods are always saying "don't downvote just because you disagree or upvote because you agree" but that is exactly what happens.

Oh and on Mega Server Overflow... overflows work fine in GW2 now (they were pretty kludgy at launch). What is scary about them in ESO is that they are being progammed a month before release. This is some pretty fundamental database programming that is going to require good structures between the servers. I am worried that they will not have the exchange down and people are going to lose playing time.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The problem is the measures they took ensure it's a clusterfuck. We know the overflow communicates with the megaserver because it saves your progress. Simply putting you in the queue while playing the overflow would pretty much eliminate those complaints. The overflow is not an option for pvp players at all as it is. I'll admit I'm probably oversimplifying this since I remember GW2 had broken ass queues forever.
Actually the servers probably don't talk to each other at all. The servers are talking to a shared database that stores all of your data. The overflow server is the same thing as MMOs launching with 100 servers and keep adding them as the demand grows then in a month they have 80 empty servers. The overflow is just a dump off that keeps people out of queues and playing the game. Then they can get rid of the overflow server once populations in zones and overall even out.

Not sure why people are confused about this. It's a pretty good system. Abe you seem to just be looking for problems where there aren't any.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Would it be great if you could queue for the regular server while in the overflow? Yeah. Zenimax is a horrible dev studio though, so they probably didn't even think about it or didn't bother coding it in because they're lazy as fuck.

I'm just surprised they have an overflow server. Not having a queue to the main is the least of my worries or things I want to pick on them for.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Yeah , again , the overflow is "ok" with me , although I thought the point of the megaserver was to eliminate a need for separate overflow, but regardless , playing on the overflow server not putting you into the queue to go to the main one is just stupid. If you play on the overflow you will never go to the main without logging out and getting in the queue and not playing while waiting.

The point of the overflow should be to be able to play something while still being in the queue.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
The AD being the most popular , that more due to races or is it more the stuff I've heard multiple times about the AD areas and quests being better to many than the others ?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Funny thing is... post release, the subreddit will swing the other way if GW2 is any example. Reddit mods are always saying "don't downvote just because you disagree or upvote because you agree" but that is exactly what happens.
the simcity subreddit was the only place with decent simcity discussion and it was interesting watching the hype fall apart. People that played it hardcore like we did found out within a few days that the entire thing was a charade, and the response to that sentiment in the subreddit was violent.