The Equalizer

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Denzel Washington single handedly brings down a crime syndicate after said syndicate fucks with his favorite little white girl.

Granted, the equalizing character himself is way cooler than the on-fire man, in my opinion (one reads the other drinks), but the plots are nearly identical.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie was great. I liked it better than Man On Fire. So did Rotten Tomatoes:
  • Man on Fire 39%
  • The Equalizer 61%
For me, this is a case where both scores are lower than they should be. Neither are perfect movies, but I would at 15% to both. Denzel can do 'intimidating bad ass' with the best in the business.

If I had to nit-pick, I would say the movie is too long, but that is my only criticism of note.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I liked this guy better, but I think MoF had a much deeper background story in a shorter time frame. This one was kind of like 'well, he must have been really bad ass because he just did that' in an expositional sort of way. "How badass of a black ops super soldier was he? THIS BADASSS AWWW YEAAAAA WATCH THIS GUYS!" It kind of lacked subtlety. In MoF you got a better feel for his character and when he snapped and went after them it was much more believable and interesting, even if the action and overall movie weren't as good.

spronk

FPS noob
bluray rips are out, fun movie. not as good as taken/MoF, and not sure why denzel washington is in it doesn't really seem like his kinda movie. bad guys were all completely dumb and forgettable except for hipster mustache assassin, hahaha.

If you get bored just skip ahead to at least 90 minutes in, the Home Depot Alone extended fight scene is worth watching the whole movie for.

i'm waiting for keanu reeves similar movie, i think its going to be a better take on the genre

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hit girl got $550k for this. That's what, $183k per minute?
Yea pretty much.

I saw this in theaters when I was bored one night. It definitely isn't as polished as Man on Fire was and I don't think it was as good as John Wick even, but I enjoyed it for it was. Mainly just contrasted it to Man on Fire the whole time in my head. The different characterizations of what one would assume is the same character I thought was interesting. In MoF, you get a very human, flawed, vulnerable angry person on a mission after something happens. In Equalizer, you get the demigod of murder getting annoyed at some mobsters being dicks.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie was great. I liked it better than Man On Fire. So did Rotten Tomatoes:
  • Man on Fire 39%
  • The Equalizer 61%
For me, this is a case where both scores are lower than they should be. Neither are perfect movies, but I would at 15% to both. Denzel can do 'intimidating bad ass' with the best in the business.

If I had to nit-pick, I would say the movie is too long, but that is my only criticism of note.
I don't know what is more retarded, the fact that man on fire got a 39% or that the equalizer scored higher.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I really, really enjoyed this movie, and was happy to see that it was a longer movie because I didn't want it to end. I agree that Man on Fire was better, but I liked this one almost as much.

That RT rating for Man on Fire is just retarded. I don't even bother checking those ratings. I don't know that IMDB ratings are any better in general, but at least with these two I feel they got it right with 7.8 for MoF and 7.3 for The Equalizer. That sounds just about perfect to me, comparatively speaking at least.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always value imdb ratings more than RT. My own personal ratings seem to line up most with imdb.

*Edit* There are always exceptions:

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Just saw this and loved it. WTB a buddy movie team up with John Wick. They can go assassinate President Putin.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed this movie. It was not as good as John Wick but it still was a solid action movie with a good back story. I was lightly hoping that they might play a bit of the 80's theme music as a connection to the series at the end but I guess they figured the help add was enough. I would have no problem with a 2nd movie.

spronk

FPS noob
i was bummed in a weird way that when someone asked him who he was, he didn't slowly reply... "The Equalizer"

yeah i'm retarded

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i was bummed in a weird way that when someone asked him who he was, he didn't slowly reply... "The Equalizer"

yeah i'm retarded
It has been a very long time but I do not believe that even in the 80's series was the main character ever referred to as "The Equalizer" inside the show. While I did think about it during the movie, I was glad they chose not to have him say "I am the Equalizer".

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well, his newspaper ad read "Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer. 212 555 4200."

Also, I thought I remembered some rendetion of the old colt ad. Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size, when danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize. Beyond those, I don't remember if he ever introduced himself as the equalizer.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
This movie was really bad, save yourself a few hours and rent John Wick instead. Already saw JW? watch it again..

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This movie needed more scenes like the one shown in the trailier, where he takes out those 5 Russians.

Also, use slo-mo in complicated fight scenes so I can keep up with the choreography, not so I can see the water dripping off Denzel.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
one of the dumbest films i have ever sat through. dumber than Battleship. yeah i went there. fucking great mindless action though if you like playing video games in Godmode. Vladimir Pushkin as the name of the top russian mobster? really? MoF was a great film, not as good action, but it was believable and had great acting.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Denzel Washington single handedly brings down a crime syndicate after said syndicate fucks with his favorite little white girl.

Granted, the equalizing character himself is way cooler than the on-fire man, in my opinion (one reads the other drinks), but the plots are nearly identical.
Haven't watched this movie yet, doubt I will trailer looked awful, someone negged me regarding a post I made months ago which is why I'm here.

What I can say about Man on Fire is it is one of the better Revenge Plot movies I've watched, hesystematicallytook out a crime syndicate in Man on Fire. It wasn't just one dumb action scene segued into a car chase etc... (referencing parts of Taken, which is the slightly more mainstream equivalent of a revenge movie). When it got down to business, cutting off his first leads finger's and cauterizing the wounds, planting a bomb in the anus of the Police Chief, blowing a dude's dick-off etc. I can't remember if he did anything in particular to the "Voice's" pregnant wife, the one really good part in Taken was when Neeson shot his "friend's" wife in the arm.

Most importantly in Man on Fire he was all business, there was little to no fuckery, like falling off an arterial onto a bus, and in
Blocking small arms fire with interior doors which would/were probably filled with cardboard inserts, getting caught 1:10 in the middle of a firefight, shit like that.

There wasn't a massive build up were he was talking his game up, or making up all these retarded rules that would have no application in shooting people dead.

All Creasy says: " What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

It's Walken who talks Creasy up.

This Equalizer movie: "I left that life years ago" "Don't make me go back to killing" "I'm a super level 59 Paladin with a Fiery Avenger" "Let's lock myself in a room with like six people and I'll kill them with my wristwatch." "I'll hold my dick in my left hand and masturbate about my L337 Assassin skills and kill people with shot glasses with my right hand, because I don't sin with my right hand."

You know what I like that last quote.

I actually liked the first Taken, but Man on Fire was way better, I'm just using at as a comparison since i didn't watch this movie.

You people have awful taste in action, and are clearly the reason behind Michael Bay's vast market saturation (ps. neg me!)