The ethics of stealing video games

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
You're right, TecKnoe. I have no real idea if he's 'successful' or not. However, in my experience spelling and grammar abilities and how they often relate to education and intelligence level, are a pretty good indicator of one's station in life.

Judging by the content of your posts, let's just say I'm unsurprised even your family is only willing to pay you $15/hr.

Stay in school kids.
Lol i dont do anything at work, i "supervise" bro its ok attack all you want
smile.png
its a small deli/bakery i work in, not a multi million dollar corp im running, im not here to throw shit at the wall and pretend im rich or being payed more than i am, at least i have the balls to be honest, what do you do for work? tell the truth, because you can sit here and get on me but you're the pussy hiding in the shadows, im not ashamed of what i make at all i have done nothing to earn or deserve the position im in except know my GF, again i will take 15$/hour and the fact that i am my own boss and i do what i want over an extra 5$ an hour working for some twat company, how many times do i need to say this, the freedom of being your own boss is priceless to me.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
tecknoe, wigger bro, you got a $15/hr job because of nepotism, that's sad. Also you are a faggot for having sneakers that cost that much. Who the fuck do you think you are? Brahma?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I huge thing for me is also convenience, I think the price of a game is usually worth the ease of just clicking it on steam instead of trying to scour torrent sites and fight with crackers and updates and all types of bullshit. If I spend more then one hour dealing with that shit then I've lost money.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
When it comes to entertainment media, which has no bearing on life or death, any justification as to why its ok to steal is standing on pretty thin ground from my perspective. Its not as if any artist is withholding medicine from anyone's sick family member. At which point perhaps stealing becomes the greater good.

I buy the complaint that certain companies practice highly abusive business practices combined with really shady quality control. However, saying the "entire industry" does this is just a clever way of allowing the obfuscation of personal responsibility. Some or even most studios might very well be assholes, but not all. And because not all studios are assholes, if you steal from the ones who aren't then you become an asshole too. Not some crusader of consumer justice as some of the posts above have implied.

If you PC game with access to digital distribution, I feel there is little excuse for piracy. If a game is not worth your money, then it is not worth your time. You can look to GoG, Steam, Origin and even some studios with direct purchase options (like Elite Dangerous). If you realize you are 35 and not 10, you don't need to tell your buddies that you beat the newest baddest single player the day after it launched to be cool. With weekly daily and bi-annual mega sales being the norm almost any game can be purchased on sale. A years after most AAA titles launch you can buy the GOTY edition with an expansions worth of DLC, tons of fixes or tweaks, perhaps community content for 15 bucks shortly after.

We all understand quite clearly that if our society was full of theft that it would not function. As long as human effort is required to produce this entertainment, when you steal it is actually taking potential value from those individuals. You would detest being in such a situation in your life, and just because you do not physically interact with the creator of this content doesn't mean that they are not real and do not exist just like the rest of us. Being used is a pretty universally accepted shitty way to feel. I personally play games 1-2 years after they launch, I buy them in the 5-15 dollar range on sale when they get there. A few titles - such as the Witcher 3 I actively chose to pay full price for. This is my way of supporting the studios proportionally to how I value their products. If a game isn't worth 60 bucks, it certainly is worth more than zero dollars. And piracy is just that - a zero dollar theft. With sales you can chose when a game hits a value point. And again, if its not worth your money, its not worth your time either.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I don't do this anymore. Did it as a kid. Copied games on floppies when those were a thing and proceeded to download games and burn them to CD-roms back when you could fit 10 games on a CD. Also did it a bit in college for my PS2. Basically they rarely/ever "lost" money from me, because I would never have bought them anyways with the financial situation as a kid / student.

Now that I have a job, I buy all my games.

That said, let's take an example using the Witcher 3, a game I already have on pre-order.

If I had been one of the people who had been very hyped for the game to the point of upgrading my PC to get the max experience of ultra pc graphics as hyped up by the devs. Then the dev changes that and downgrades the game to the point where my old computer could have done they trick. If a developer deliberately withheld information about a downgrade to their customers, and also said "there are no downgrades", for a reason most likely to keep up their contract/appearances with a company (nvidia in this case), then... Well if I had spent $3-500+ for an upgrade that was not necessary at all, I might not feel entirely guilty pirating their next $60 game.

That said, as to piracy, I just can't be bothered to hassle with it anymore. 9/10 games are nearly broken at launch these days, with 4+ major patches within the first month or two. Paying for a game and having it auto update without the hassle of torrenting patches is worth it to me. My morals might be broken though, because I honestly do think of it in a "less of a hassle" way than "omg I am stealing!". Except small indie games. Those I'd feel bad for pirating.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wish more people would blame Nvidia for the state of PC gaming. They've been the 'Creative Labs of GPUs' for a long time now, stifling innovation rather than advancing it.

Column_sl

shitlord
I really don't torrent many video games, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because games are so cheap that I really don't bother.

I torrent the fuck out of everything else.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I love the "I'm just demoing it" excuse. I have a friend who does the same thing. "Well I pirated the game to see if it was worth it. It was good, but I'm not going to buy it because it only took me 20-30 hours to complete." Thats not a demo! If you know a game is going to be relatively short and don't feel $50 is worth 30 hours of entertainment then wait til the fucking thing goes on sale.
I am guilty of that excuse, but to my defense I buy any game I play a pirated version of for more then 2 hours. Before I pay $60 for a game I want to make sure I will actually play it and today piracy is the only real option for that. Most games dont have demos anymore, and review sites are a fucking joke ( Call of Duty XXXIIII! 10/10 BRO! ). On the other hand, some games I support like a fanatic (Fallout 3/New Vegas, Im looking at you and my PS3, PC and Xbox copies of both games), but they are few and far between.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't in a while, but that's mainly because there hasn't been anything I wanted to play. I absolutely was doing the 'demo' thing for a while, but I ended up buying probably 75% of the games I torrented.

I know that it's theft, and I just don't give a damn. If a game comes out that I really feel like playing, I'll torrent it and not lose a moments sleep.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I made it because the Witcher 3 thread was being shitted up. I pulled his posts directly from that thread, he is not trolling

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I did pirate Witcher 2. Played it about 10 hours, decided I didn't like it, uninstalled, didn't buy a legit copy. I may pick it up next time it's 75% off just to support an independent studio, but I have no plans to 'demo' Witcher 3.