The ethics of stealing video games

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Where does the "Using Hola to spoof a Ukraine IP and get Witcher 3 for $20" fall on the spectrum? Had this conversation in TS last night, and while I don't justify it for any other reason than I didn't want to pay $60 but was willing to paysomething, the counter arguments that it is still stealing/cheating make a certain amount of sense to me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had a similar mental argument today.

I have the CE PS4 edition waiting for me on tuesday but trying to decide if grabbing the torrent for the weekend is worth it or not even knowing that when I do the new build after coming back from holidays I'll get it from GoG as well.
All you can download is the preload files. They won't do you any good until Monday night after the game unlocks, and even then you'd have to find another torrent/DDL containing the game's executable, day 1 patch, etc.

Where does the "Using Hola to spoof a Ukraine IP and get Witcher 3 for $20" fall on the spectrum? Had this conversation in TS last night, and while I don't justify it for any other reason than I didn't want to pay $60 but was willing to paysomething, the counter arguments that it is still stealing/cheating make a certain amount of sense to me.
I'd say it goes something like:

Buying from GOG > Buying from Steam > Buying from GMG >>>>> Using a proxy to get CIS pricing > Buying Nvidia GPU code off Ebay >>>>>>>>>> Piracy >>>>> Buying a key from G2A and other similar sites.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Pirating the next SimCity after being burned by SimCity5, pirating the latest soft-release of Assassin's Creed because of unity, pirating BF Hardline because it's a 59 dollar cash in and they knowingly launched BF3 in a horrid state and didn't give a shit after they had your money, etc, etc
I do it as payback, although I haven't done it in a LONG ass time. I believe, and support, anyone that wants to pirate something from a publisher who has treated them like garbage in the past. EA, Activision, and Ubisoft are the worst offenders. In fact, I wish everyone would pirate their shit because they are horrible companies. In the same token, I would never pirate anything from a publisher that brings true value, great games, released in a quality form (Bugs exist that's one thing, but BF3/Sim City issues were completely and key word, knowingly different) and stood behind and supported. Take the content in Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto 5 for instance, and then compare it to fucking Battlefield Hardline.

Go team good guys, pirate the rest.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
All you can download is the preload files. They won't do you any good until Monday night after the game unlocks, and even then you'd have to find another torrent/DDL containing the game's executable, day 1 patch, etc.
Good point, had forgot about it only being preload so not even worth doing given I'll have PS4 version then anyway.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
IP spoofing to get a regional prices is pretty much what keeps G2a, cdkeys and other grey market resellers in business. Regional pricing exists to try to curb software piracy in regions that are poorer that the US and would never be able to realistically afford so they offer a cheaper price. These resellers sell out of region keys but they also occasionally get keys(1)stolen through some sort of fraud. EA was nice enough to give copies of the game to people who had purchased one of a batch of stolen grey market keys because they're large enough to be able to take the hit. The developers of Sniper Elite 3 probably couldn't afford to do the same(2). Which is understandable since they're a much smaller publisher and probably can't afford to give away 7000 units of product. Although they did give people who had purchased the grey market keys a free DLC.The argument I've seen against grey market keys and grey market key resellers is that large publishers may stop selling in smaller/poorer regions in an attempt to kill off grey market resellers. It would increase piracy in the effected areas but it would also kill a large portion of grey market keys.

(1)http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...y-playing.aspx

(2)Over 7,000 stolen Sniper Elite 3 Steam keys revoked

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love the "I'm just demoing it" excuse. I have a friend who does the same thing. "Well I pirated the game to see if it was worth it. It was good, but I'm not going to buy it because it only took me 20-30 hours to complete." Thats not a demo! If you know a game is going to be relatively short and don't feel $50 is worth 30 hours of entertainment then wait til the fucking thing goes on sale.

Column_sl

shitlord
Can someone confirm the hola thing still works for GOG? I tried it this morning ,and it looks to be the same price

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I love the "I'm just demoing it" excuse. I have a friend who does the same thing. "Well I pirated the game to see if it was worth it. It was good, but I'm not going to buy it because it only took me 20-30 hours to complete." Thats not a demo! If you know a game is going to be relatively short and don't feel $50 is worth 30 hours of entertainment then wait til the fucking thing goes on sale.
Yeah the demo reason only holds water if you're making a purchase or uninstall decision within ~10 hours.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd agree with that. Usually I know within an hour of playing something if I'm gonna purchase it or not, and if not it goes bai bai. Otherwise I generally look at steam and grab it because I much prefer using the steam api than most of the cracked version methods, especially the ones with stand alone loaders. But if the game is under $10-$15 and I want to check it out, I just buy it 100% of the time. And really, even regarding demos, I tend not to even try most games coming out unless I read that it isn't shit here first.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Yeah the demo reason only holds water if you're making a purchase or uninstall decision within ~10 hours.
Yup. Not gonna lie and say I've always purchased every game I've spent more than two hours on after I torrented it but that's a clear line of demarcation. I still refuse to feel bad about it though simply because I feel like being a consumer in this market right now is asking to be taken advantage of and I feel like my own personal feelings of massive support towards companies who go out of their way to provide a great experience(with their game, their service, their basic attitude towards their players, etc) are completely justified. I feel A-Okay spending $100 on PoE during my two month frenzy last year. They deserve it and I wanted to support the developer. I do not feel A-Okay about supporting Wildstar and the way that group of devs treated their players, constantly talking up the game and making it sound like fixes were coming while they internally knew they were launching a fundamentally broken game and they themselves were all already trying to line up new jobs. It's one thing to "dance with who brung you" and help market the game, it's another thing entirely to misrepresent your work in order to con people into wasting time and money into a product you know is a lemon. As long as that marketing strategy is one developers continue to make use of I will continue my free demoing and not feel any remorse whatsoever. Take money out of the equation, it's more about refusing to be taken for a ride.

Music and TV are entirely different and should be viewed as such in my opinion.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
As long as the video game industry has companies treating people like shit, I don't feel bad about treating them likewise at times.

I mean I bought Heroes of M&M 6, and have never been able to play it thanks to their shitty DRM. Fat chance I'm ever buying something from that series again. Funniest thing is, I payed that game more then most games (60$ iirc ?), without a doubt part of my money went to their DRM supplier.

Shitty industry, we need more people pirating shitty games in order to kill those companies.

About time SoE bit the dust also. So good to finally see their 12 community managers and a bunch of other flat out worthless people get fired.

Really, really long way to go though.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Demands a successful man's resume to discredit his work.

Has job so shitty he has to steal games.

It's a TecKnoe post!
how do you know he is successful lmao, trust me hes probably not or else he would be sitting here throwing all these amazing tittles he worked on down my throat.

lmao i never claimed to have an amazing job, i work for a family owned business im happy with that i get away with everything, i may only make 15$/hour but i dont deal with stress of losing my job, being late, asking for days off etc etc, Yea im not balling at 20$++ like some of you boss's but even if i was making more money id still take what i can get for free
smile.png

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
No good stores in CT? Lol you wigger. You ashame all the CT WASPs
do you live here? no theres nothing lol @ the wigger statement someone is mad at the darkies for something.

for every half ass broken game they release, i pirate one to offset this tragedy, eye for an eye!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't blame TecKnoe for pirating games. After being on your feet all day, greeting customers as they enter Wal-Mart, who wants to be bothered with paying for games?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I don't blame TecKnoe for pirating games. After being on your feet all day, greeting customers as they enter Wal-Mart, who wants to be bothered with paying for games?
lol bro you need to hit 4chan for some new material this wal-mart thing is old and tired.

call me a glue-eater next i havent heard that one in the last 15minutes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I will admit that my arsenal of white-trash insults is pretty limited. I'm old, man.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
how do you know he is successful lmao, trust me hes probably not or else he would be sitting here throwing all these amazing tittles he worked on down my throat.

lmao i never claimed to have an amazing job, i work for a family owned business im happy with that i get away with everything, i may only make 15$/hour but i dont deal with stress of losing my job, being late, asking for days off etc etc, Yea im not balling at 20$++ like some of you boss's but even if i was making more money id still take what i can get for free
smile.png
I have a summer intern that works for me that makes more than you
frown.png

Pirate away, good sir. This is America. No man should be denied his rights to life, liberty, and $400 basketball shoes.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
how do you know he is successful lmao, trust me hes probably not or else he would be sitting here throwing all these amazingtittleshe worked on down my throat.
You're right, TecKnoe. I have no real idea if he's 'successful' or not. However, in my experience spelling and grammar abilities and how they often relate to education and intelligence level, are a pretty good indicator of one's station in life.

Judging by the content of your posts, let's just say I'm unsurprised even your family is only willing to pay you $15/hr.

Stay in school kids.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I have a summer intern that works for me that makes more than you
frown.png

Pirate away, good sir. This is America. No man should be denied his rights to life, liberty, and $400 basketball shoes.
im ok with that good for him
smile.png
you still fail to see where i work for family so i will take my paycut with the added relief of never having to worry about losing my job, being late, taking time off etc.

also i will inherit the 2 business when the time comes, im quite alright with this, as ive spent no time in college and i will be part owner of a construction landscaping company, and a bakery/deli this is where the bootstrap comes in, i didnt work hard at all i just knew someone my GF thank god her brother is a fuckup because they look at me as a son they never had and have given me his piece of the pie, boys locked up in prison anyway, heroin man its a nasty drug.