The Expanse

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
belters are BLM

change my mind

they'll never get that chip off their shoulder that they are less than earthlings

wipe em out

As a non-book reader (show spoiler disclaimer):

It looks like the former martians took the last of the Proto-molecule to a new system, along with a guy (Cortázar) who could talk to it (or at least "hear" it). The Proto-molecule turned on shit, just like in season 4. This also turned on, what seems to be a alien shipyard or huge ship in orbit. This in turn wakes up/irritates the inter-dimensional gate aliens (that killed the makers of the Proto-molecule, as laid out in previous seasons).

This happened in some time prior to the scene with MRN Admiral Sauveterre talking with Marco, at the end. So, once Admiral Sauveterre's ship tries to use the ring into the space filled with so much active Proto-molecule, it gets zapped by the inter-dimensional aliens.
yea it's just like the mass effect 3 ending

"you chose assimilation, so now we nuke all the mass effect relays"

the "red" ending

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
the ending was really badly done imo, on my first viewing I just thought the wormy aliens were angry and scanning the Martian ship, only on second viewing I understood they actually disintegrated the martian ship - you see it enter the ring but nothing transits to real space.

Holden had mentioned to someone earlier, Fred Johnson I think, that "The Others" were dormant but ring travel was slowly waking them up, and the protomolecule/Miller "did something" to him to make him more aware of them when he travels through rings. Its a bummer we didn't get more than a voiceover flashback to the other person who has experienced them, the Doctor Owaji or whatever from season 4.

the final book in the mainline series is out Oct 2021, i think the show is up to book 6 or so out of book 8 with some stuff being pulled forward. There's no way they really wrap up all the show threads in 1 more season.

Cybsled

Ya, it is pretty much impossible to wrap up everything. They'll probably stick to book 6 mostly, sprinkle in some more 7+ teases, then leave the Laconia/Wormhole alien shit unresolved for the most part.

spronk

FPS noob
the authors have said they hope to have some movies come out so I imagine they'll deal with Laconia that way, maybe through Amazon or Netflix. Alcon, the owners of the show, have said they want to do "alternative media" which usually means comic books lol

Cybsled

Comic books would be kind of dumb, considering we have actual books

At bare minimum, something animated (traditional, CG, or mixed) would be acceptable in lieu of live action for wrapping up the story

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so this guy is the new pilot

2066b107d7e7b9329e793ad90d3310c3.png

am i the only one that watched this season and thought it was tony shaloub?
50ecaffc414797ecc0b620254dcce840.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Comic books would be kind of dumb, considering we have actual books

At bare minimum, something animated (traditional, CG, or mixed) would be acceptable in lieu of live action for wrapping up the story
comics is how you get official cannon of shepherd from firefly
77198eb301d10a645bd7ab553272f632.png

but then comics is also joss whedons territory as well

Cybsled

Right, comics have their use. Like Farscape did a bunch of comics that basically acted as post-Peacekeeper War seasons.

But The Expanse already has books that the show is drawing from, so comics are less useful.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
the ending was really badly done imo, on my first viewing I just thought the wormy aliens were angry and scanning the Martian ship, only on second viewing I understood they actually disintegrated the martian ship - you see it enter the ring but nothing transits to real space.

Holden had mentioned to someone earlier, Fred Johnson I think, that "The Others" were dormant but ring travel was slowly waking them up, and the protomolecule/Miller "did something" to him to make him more aware of them when he travels through rings. Its a bummer we didn't get more than a voiceover flashback to the other person who has experienced them, the Doctor Owaji or whatever from season 4.

the final book in the mainline series is out Oct 2021, i think the show is up to book 6 or so out of book 8 with some stuff being pulled forward. There's no way they really wrap up all the show threads in 1 more season.

My interpretation of this is that the Others exist in another dimensional space to us or in another facet of a multiverse that touches ours through the usage of the alien technology, perhaps through its energy consumption. Like a ripple effect, where the ripples are felt in their reality. I don't remember if the show went into this level of detail, but in the books, Naomi figured out that ships would go missing based on how much mass went through the ring gates in a certain period of time. There was basically a critical threshold and any ship going through moved your closer to the threshold and then there was a decay back to 0 over some time interval, so you could send ships through more slowly but consistently, or you could send a bunch through and then have to wait while you decayed back to 0 to allow new ship transits. Other than that, the only time the Others took direct action were when certain technologies that came out of the Laconia system were put into use causing the firing of one of those psychic bullets.

So my thought was that they have never necessarily been dormant, but just existing undisturbed since they wiped out the protomolecule aliens. Now that the humans are causing ripple effects into their realm again, they are reacting. From the later books too, it seems like the process by which they interact with the ships going through the gate is to just delete portions of them out of reality. The Laconian ships could heal enough to sort of survive the transit with whole portions just missing (including human limbs), but the earth built ones were destroyed entirely.

Either way its all supposition. I was really underwhelmed with this season, but thats probably because I find the protomolecule tech much more interesting to delve into than the politics and the Free Navy.

Goatface

like the character, but really don't want him to join the crew as it will certainly bring a my racism arc that will consume far to much screen time.already seen a bunch of posts and websites about they shouldn't allow a bigot on the crew.
figured naomi or peaches would somehow end up as pilot. go girlpower

Cybsled

Peaches can pilot stuff. Naomi has always been the tech person, though. However, Peaches doesn't have the crew's trust yet (Amos non-withstanding)

There's only the next season coming up, so I suspect Bull will stick around for most of it and they'll kill him off during the part in book 6 where Fred Johnson originally died to raise the stakes. Then Peaches could pilot (having gained more trust from the crew at that point).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Peaches can pilot stuff. Naomi has always been the tech person, though. However, Peaches doesn't have the crew's trust yet (Amos non-withstanding)

There's only the next season coming up, so I suspect Bull will stick around for most of it and they'll kill him off during the part in book 6 where Fred Johnson originally died to raise the stakes. Then Peaches could pilot (having gained more trust from the crew at that point).
just like firefly, the most dangerous girl will be the pilot

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

am i the only one that watched this season and thought it was tony shaloub?
50ecaffc414797ecc0b620254dcce840.png

You might be. I recognized him immediately as the crazy guy from Alive that survived the crash.

Goatface

don't think they will have another person stroke out, show runner already said Alex took Fred's death.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Least episode of this season was a stark reminder as to just how slow this season was.

It felt like the last half was close ups of naomi's spittle. Like a quarter of the big events happen in the last 3 minutes.

I haven't read the books, but I know naomi is one of those annoying characters that will never die. But damn it would have been great if she realized she couldn't prevent people from docking with her ship bomb and just detonated the thing herself to save everyone else.

Anyways, if the last season is an all out war that ultimately destroys the gates before the proto palace becomes fully operational with people getting stuck on all sides of portals, then it should be decent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Ya, it is pretty much impossible to wrap up everything. They'll probably stick to book 6 mostly, sprinkle in some more 7+ teases, then leave the Laconia/Wormhole alien shit unresolved for the most part.

Well, that sucks. For me that's the main draw of the show--who killed the ring builders and why. For me it was a fairly amazing aspect to the story, to have this galaxy spanning Empire that could manipulate matter in a manner that makes them close to a full type 2 civilization wiped out. I hate it when world building like that isn't explored.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

It is explored in the books, but there is no way in hell they could condense what will be 3 books worth of lore into the B plot for the show for season 6. My guess will be

1) Season 6 still ends same way Book 6 ends
2) They tease the fact that Laconia/Duerte's faction was monitoring what was going on and teases that they will need to begin work on counter measures to potentially wipe out the threat causing the ship disappearances

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, that sucks. For me that's the main draw of the show--who killed the ring builders and why. For me it was a fairly amazing aspect to the story, to have this galaxy spanning Empire that could manipulate matter in a matter that makes them close to a full type 2 civilization, wiped out was really cool. I hate it when world building like that isn't explored.
Not much can be done about it. Mild spoilers.
The show won't get technical about it and the books correctly use the premise that humanity has zero comprehension of the Ring Builder tech. Much of the shit humans are finding and can kinda use if they can even discern the function of it. It beats around the bush about it but it seems that the Ring Builders were some kind of hive mind species. Or close to it, the Ring Builder killers had some kind of weapon that exploited this weakness. Humans are not a hive mind and we are naturally far more resilient to whatever abilities they have. Which is why they can't kill us outright and we can touch their ordinance. Although it gives people huge headaches if they look at it.

Ring Builder Killers might as well be the stupid SciFi energy being trope really.