The Expanse

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
As someone who only watched the show, is it worth it to go back and read the books?

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
If you enjoy sci-fi space opera then yeah, the books are good. It's not really hard sci-fi, though. More like "grounded" space opera.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
As someone who only watched the show, is it worth it to go back and read the books?
Yeah. I like the books better than the show. More details. Some characters were worse in the show due to casting (Naomi, Bobbie). There’s also a lot of story you’re missing that the show isn’t going to go into.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Seasons 1 to 3 of this show were so fucking good. 4 was a snoozer but not terrible. 5 and 6 are pure monkey asshole aids.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Season 5 was definitely a down season overall. In and of themselves the season 6 episodes have been fine, but my issue is that the story is moving a long so slowly and there's only 2 episodes left. They're not going to wrap up jack shit and it's just going to end.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Season 6 has been so flat is not even funny. 2 Episodes left and I feel like nothing has happened. I really don't care about the little girl with the ugly dog.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
what more little girl obsessing over dead birds and some sort of weird salamander dog eating them?
Its not eating them.

Man I wish the show was more about the Protomolecule/Laconia/Builders shit then Marco Inaros.

I read the first 3 books then kinda gave up on them. I hope there is a movie/show whatever that delves deeper into that stuff.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Mmm yes and no. I quite like the series, other than book 4, which almost made me quit reading it. Season 1 of the show was a very good adaptation though, you won't get a lot of extra from the book I think, which leaves it in a kind of odd place.

I can't see any way that the book series end isn't better than the show end at this point though, there really isn't any time for them to do anything in what's left of the show.

• 1Like

Goatface

was reading an older interview about the short season, episode 6 is listed at 65mins. didn't even realize how short the 4 s6 shows have been, avg is about 46mins. last season's avg was like 55mins. guess could add in the one ship scenes and get it back to 50m

Goatface

so i tried to look it up with no luck, Sanjrani (the apparent non-binary) leader of Ceres. wtf is her plan? 1 million people and 3 weeks of food/water and free navy just took most of your shit and left. well guess less than 3 weeks now as they also blew the shit up too.

Cybsled

so i tried to look it up with no luck, Sanjrani (the apparent non-binary) leader of Ceres. wtf is her plan? 1 million people and 3 weeks of food/water and free navy just took most of your shit and left. well guess less than 3 weeks now as they also blew the shit up too.

That was the whole point of that. Marcos basically fucked over the Ceres people, but will try to frame it as Mars/Earth fucking up. They didnt really have a plan. That is why that message sent to Amos about the super yeast was a big deal, because it lets them ramp up food production quick (Prax intended for Earth, but presumably same solution works for Ceres)

Goatface

That was the whole point of that. Marcos basically fucked over the Ceres people, but will try to frame it as Mars/Earth fucking up. They didnt really have a plan. That is why that message sent to Amos about the super yeast was a big deal, because it lets them ramp up food production quick (Prax intended for Earth, but presumably same solution works for Ceres)
she shouldn't know about the super yeast and the drummer's message was after her inners go away speech. was she set trying to setup all of ceres to be martyrs for the belt?

Cybsled

Her original concerns with Marcos (before he ditched them) is the projections were not panning out for the belt to be self-sufficient without organics/etc coming from Earth, especially since Ganymede was still recovering from damage done during the Mars vs Earth stuff in S2/Jules Mao protomolecule story arc. This is consistent with the books - Marcos was envisioning a self-sufficient belt and grand "void cities" (think ISIS and their dreams of a nation), but the reality was the infrastructure and logistics were not there - they basically had stuff they could take by force and nothing else.

Marcos then basically steals shit from Ceres and peaces out, which magnifies an already shaky situation on Ceres. The acting head of Ceres didn't really have a workable plan at that point, she just knew what was missing. Even though Marcos fucked them, they still have no love for the inners. But they are in a fucked situation, so they really can't say no to whatever Earth+Mars do.

Earth and Mars don't have the ability to address the Ceres situation either, since they have their own problems and even if they tried to do it, it would take too long to transport stuff. The yeast is basically the unexpected solution to solve this (partially anyways)

Cybsled

Not surprised, there have been a lot of fans of the show at NASA. It's one of the few mostly-grounded Sci-Fi space shows.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I've read all but the last couple and they're solid. I didn't ever have my mind blown by some incredible revelation or huge payoff but they're a consistent B/B+ the whole way through. I was plowing through them one summer doing yard work just one after another until I ran out of them.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I've read all but the last couple and they're solid. I didn't ever have my mind blown by some incredible revelation or huge payoff but they're a consistent B/B+ the whole way through. I was plowing through them one summer doing yard work just one after another until I ran out of them.
The novellas are also pretty good reads. Maybe even better than the books since they're shorter, more focused stories and about the side characters and things that make the universe feel grander.

• 1Like

Cybsled

They’ve weaved a decent number of novellas into the show, specifically the one about the creation of the Epstein drive, Amos’ history as a kid in Baltimore, and the Strange Dogs we are seeing right now in each episode

• 1Like