The Expanse

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This season is better than the last one.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

one of the odd things, i have only seen 1 person from the show even hint at starting another "save the show" and that was peaches.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
At the risk of repeating myself, the Marco Inaros arc almost killed my interest the book series, so I'm not surprised to see it killing interest in the TV show as well, it's slow and boring, packed to the brim with drama mostly about people few viewers like or care about, and takes you away from all the juicy protomolecule lore.

But while the books then redeemed themselves with the Laconia arc, the show is only barely hinting at possibly making Laconia stuff down the road (otherwise I see zero reason to spend 5 to 10 minutes of each episode about Cara and Xan).. some really strange decisions on this season, unless they're just planning to reveal they're gonna make more seasons or an Amazon movie to finish the series.

I think if this show had been made a few years later once the books were finished, they'd have drastically reduced the Marco Inaros content because they'd have realized it was a boring intermission sandwiched between more interesting parts of one big story.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They've said in the past the finale is 'like an episode and a half' for those hoping for them to surprise us with a feature+ length episode.

io9: Whose decision was it to make the season only six episodes? Is that also because of covid-related reasons?
Shankar: That was a decision between Amazon and Alcon Television. I mean, you always kind of agree on how much money you’re going to commit to the production of the show. And that was the decision. It came down to making six episodes of it. It’s always a negotiation to some extent. Could we have done 10? Absolutely. Could we have done eight? Certainly. Uh, I don’t think we would’ve been able to tell the season in any less than six.​
Abraham: I think if we’d have gotten 13 we would have been in trouble.​
Shankar: Yeah. I mean that can sometimes work against you—too many episodes also can be bad. So that was kind of presented to us as, “Can we tell this story in six episodes?” and our response was, “Let’s think about it.” We talked about it and we came back with, “Yeah, we can do it, but we’re going to have to supersize the sixth episode.” That one’s really like an episode and a half.​

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What a shitty excuse. "At least we didn't make it ridiculously too long!". Take the amount of episodes required to tell the damn story well. If that's 13, who the fuck is going to complain about that? It sure as fuck isn't these specific 6 though.

We're probably going to find out they've been hired to do a trio of Star Wars movies. Maybe Marco forgot about the Rocinante.

Cybsled

What a shitty excuse. "At least we didn't make it ridiculously too long!". Take the amount of episodes required to tell the damn story well. If that's 13, who the fuck is going to complain about that? It sure as fuck isn't these specific 6 though.

It's a valid point if you are adapting material. Usually TV adaptations trim the fat, so to speak. If you spread out the story even more, you basically are reinserting that fat into the story. Nice for world building, but it doesnt always make good TV.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's a valid point if you are adapting material. Usually TV adaptations trim the fat, so to speak. If you spread out the story even more, you basically are reinserting that fat into the story. Nice for world building, but it doesnt always make good TV.
Give me the fat, it's exactly what this dry steak of a season needs. Amos and Peaches had *one* scene each last episode.

It's not a valid point by itself. Having to make more episodes is not inherently worse, budgetary issues aside. Which probably is a factor here, but it's likely going to remain never discussed because who's going to shit talk the person paying you while they're paying you?

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean you can definitely stretch stuff out way too much, just look at the Hobbit movies. I don't think that this season being 8 or 10 episodes would have been a huge issue from a story standpoint. It could certainly have been an issue for budget or other logistical reasons, but that's an entirely different thing.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty sure "nothing happened this episode" is the common statement from this boards on most shows for most episodes. More wouldn't be better if, especially if they didn't have shit to fill it with to begin with.

Goatface

if they did 10, would got a lot more of naomi being sad, drummer being sad, drummer's crew being sad, avasarala being tired and filip being shit. but even with 75% more crap could have gotten 25% more amos with peaches/bobbie.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Made it to episode 3 and Holden disarming the nuke... not sure I care to keep watching after that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Made it to episode 3 and Holden disarming the nuke... not sure I care to keep watching after that.
Eh in the moment the sudden realization you are about to nuke the son of the lady you sleep with every night the more southerly brain can kick in at inopportune times.

• 2Pathetic

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eh in the moment the sudden realization you are about to nuke the son of the lady you sleep with every night the more southerly brain can kick in at inopportune times.

Uh....

Nah

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Kid isn’t my genetic code and is following his mass genocidal dad’s plan, fuck him and her if she cries about it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider

Love interest's kid vs the little fucker killed 5 billion people, including your extended family ?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I didn't know people read the Naomi chapters in the books.

They were easy to skip.

Might be why I liked the books so much. Lol

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
That's way too cucked even for James Fucking Holden.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Yeah. I like the books better than the show. More details. Some characters were worse in the show due to casting (Naomi, Bobbie). There’s also a lot of story you’re missing that the show isn’t going to go into.
Bobbies not going to Snu-Snu you if you talk shit about her!