The Expanse

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Definitely on par with Season 8 of GoT. Maybe not in overall lack of quality, but at least James SA Corey proved they can write, so the decline in quality is the same. All the drama and tension is contrived. I don't want any of these bickering idiots to win. I feel like I'm watching clones of the characters from earlier seasons.

I really wish they'd stop mentioning ship strength and numbers. They've never given a clear enough picture to understand who has what on all sides. 2 Donnagers and 3 UNN capital(I'm assuming Truman) were coming online at the beginning of the season. Those 5 ships alone are a massive change in the balance of power. Why is Avasarala begging for the help of 8 Belter corvettes now? Why is turtling at Medina suddenly a genius idea that no one thought of?

The tactical stakes are so vague that I have no way to appreciate Avasarala prostrating before Drummer. What a stupid scene.

And fuck those kids at the beginning of each episode. I'm sure those kids are doing the best acting they can, but damn is hard to begin each episode with 5 minutes of bad acting(even from the adults) for a plotline that has not shown its relevancy yet.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Why is turtling at Medina suddenly a genius idea that no one thought of?

It came up a season or two ago, when Alex was on Mars and we got a glimpse of the Martian Naval Academy. One of the admirals/professors (who later defected to Laconia) teaching mentions how an entrenched emplacement inside the gatespace would be far superior to ships guarding the outside of the gates. And Marcos got the railguns from Laconia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Definitely on par with Season 8 of GoT. Maybe not in overall lack of quality, but at least James SA Corey proved they can write, so the decline in quality is the same. All the drama and tension is contrived. I don't want any of these bickering idiots to win. I feel like I'm watching clones of the characters from earlier seasons.
I get what you're saying but I think calling it on par with the final season of GoT is excessive. With only only a 1 hour episode remaining I still don't see how they won't end with a crazy amount of loose ends.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Say what you will about GOT thrones S8, but at least it had far more action than this. Seriously, 5 episodes of nothing.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It came up a season or two ago, when Alex was on Mars and we got a glimpse of the Martian Naval Academy. One of the admirals/professors (who later defected to Laconia) teaching mentions how an entrenched emplacement inside the gatespace would be far superior to ships guarding the outside of the gates. And Marcos got the railguns from Laconia.
I mean in context of the characters. They're all acting like it's some novel idea.

I get what you're saying but I think calling it on par with the final season of GoT is excessive. With only only a 1 hour episode remaining I still don't see how they won't end with a crazy amount of loose ends.
The drop in quality is on par, not the season itself. Season 8 GoT:Whatever notes Benioff and Weiss had::Seasons 5 and 6 of the Expanse:Books 5 and 6. I wasn't wild about books 4-6, I wanted more protomolecule, and even Belters in the books are on average kinda cunty. But they were still narratively cohesive and well paced books.

It even looks like we might get magically transporting fleets. Marco is already burning for the ring while the Rocinante and Drummer are parked at Ceres. The Giambatista was shown in the trailer. How are they getting there before Marco?

How's Filip gonna miss the bus?

EDIT: rereading this, I get that the comparison is bombastic. The intent was to compare to another show that botched its landing mostly out of choices that they knew were bad at the time. We know from that brutally honest Q&A that Benioff and Weiss had an idea that they were fucking up as they were fucking up. Knowing the quality writing James SA Corey can produce, this feels the same.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The pacing is good and I am enjoying the season. I just do not understand why they only did this with 6 episodes. I feel like if they had gone 9, they could have done a descent job of finishing up most of the story arcs that would have left a satisfying end. The last episode is going to have a lot of tying off to do in a really short period of time. As I stated, I feel like this is not really the end of the series. It just seems like they are leaving an opening for something else.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Book 6 is sort of “slow”. The show is following the plot, but they are pulling a season 3: book 3 didn’t have enough meat to fill a 10 episode season, and ditto for book 6.

All the Laconia stuff really makes me hope they adapt those books. They’re putting a lot of effort into setting the stage for book 6 and beyond with the episode opens

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The pacing is good and I am enjoying the season. I just do not understand why they only did this with 6 episodes. I feel like if they had gone 9, they could have done a descent job of finishing up most of the story arcs that would have left a satisfying end. The last episode is going to have a lot of tying off to do in a really short period of time. As I stated, I feel like this is not really the end of the series. It just seems like they are leaving an opening for something else.
Didn't the producers say that the show isn't cancelled but is just going on a hiatus?

Cybsled

There was them hinting they wanted to continue the story, but who knows what form that takes

They could cheap out and go Farscape style with the comic book “season 5 and beyond” route

Goatface

wish they had spent more time building up drummer. wonder if they are going to show her getting other factions together on the finale.

with one ship finished, the bobbie/amos scene should have been in the show. the michio/drummer and peaches were ok. avasarala and holden parts were just blah, but they should have put holden's part looking at the sign in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1 eps left? this season is dog shit

again marcos is a waste of time, honestly he and the fat blond get FF everytime they are on screen, aren't belters supposed to be skinny cuz they got no grav and no food? how is she the equivalent of a sumo?

the fucking waste of 7minutes everytime an eps starts w/ stupid kids and 1999 cgi animals? da fuck is this?

everyone gets a FF unless it's peaches amos and bobby and drummers crew

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

It's a bit strange to have several plot lines and plot elements setting the stage for what comes next when, for all we know, nothing will come next.

I guess they were in a bit of a conundrum : they are adapting a book serie that is done so what do you do ? Find another end point and discard and/or resolve all plot lines and risk for it to be lame and frustrating while also making it impossible to adapt the remaining books at some point or just go on as if all is normal, be sure to have a frustrating ending full of loose ends but leave the door open for a complete adaptation in that medium or another sometime down the road. It feels like they went for option B. I hope someone will pick this up and allow them to finish it, but if not : the books are there.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
They put themselves in this situation with the pacing the last season.

Could have skipped all the diversity screen time, and wrapped most of the story in the last two seasons then had a movie etc to wrap.

But then they couldn't have hours of Naomi talking to herself, Philip doing who gives a fuck, etc

So... Show died after season 3. Maybe season 4

• 1Like

Cybsled

Again, for all those complaints, those come straight from the book itself. The book spent a bunch of time on Naomi and Filip. As a book reader I hated Filip as well.

You can't blame them that much when they're mostly sticking to the plot of the books. The most major deviations has been actors getting killed off at earlier points, but most of that came down to money, them getting involved in other projects, or getting metoo'd

Book 6 is a natural end point, but they are -really- pushing the book 7 and beyond plot strands to the forefront, so I do agree that if no continuation comes in some type of non-book media format, it will be disappointing.

Sterling

El Presidente
Again, for all those complaints, those come straight from the book itself. The book spent a bunch of time on Naomi and Filip. As a book reader I hated Filip as well.

You can't blame them that much when they're mostly sticking to the plot of the books. The most major deviations has been actors getting killed off at earlier points, but most of that came down to money, them getting involved in other projects, or getting metoo'd

Book 6 is a natural end point, but they are -really- pushing the book 7 and beyond plot strands to the forefront, so I do agree that if no continuation comes in some type of non-book media format, it will be disappointing.
Right, like I said my biggest issue is like introducing extra stuff that clearly won't get resolved. The actual episodes this season would seem fine if there's wasn't a hard deadline right around the corner.