The Expanse

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'm pretty happy about The Expanse's showrunners but Amazon's had A LOT of duds in their original programming. With the exceptions of Mrs Maisel and Man in the High Castle (and maybe skinny pete) most of their original series have been pretty crap and Amazon has ZERO iota about cutting underperformers.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm pretty happy about The Expanse's showrunners but Amazon's had A LOT of duds in their original programming. With the exceptions of Mrs Maisel and Man in the High Castle (and maybe skinny pete) most of their original series have been pretty crap and Amazon has ZERO iota about cutting underperformers.
Bosch
Goliath
Patriot
Jack Ryan

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Red Oaks was cool, but it wasn't really a mainstream thing. Never did watch Patriot. That Philip K Dick anthology series they had was ok, had potential to be better though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Amazon fired the dude (and all his yes man peons) who was greenlighting all the gay ass, critical darlings shit in the past few years, and surprise surprise also turned out to be a serial sexual harrasser and brought on a new woman who seems to be really into sci fi (or at least understands what the popular shit is people like). She's the one whose been cutting all the stupid shit no one watches and bringing on more popular stuff to be developed, who knows how it'll turn out but its gotta be better than before.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
That Bryan Cranston/PKD thing was formalaic at best and just cringey at worst tho. It definitely wasn't underfunded, just...not good.

I dunno who I'd trust to do a prestige Culture series tho. Those books are nothing like scifi that's ever been filmed.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Cybsled

Good. The only prime shows I ever really watched were Man in the High Castle and The Tick. If they can expand their Sci-Fi offerings beyond just The Expanse, that will be awesome.

I still think that LOTR series is going to be a mistake, though. The Tolkien stuff is kind of played out at this point (after the Hobbit movies landed with a resounding meh)

• 2Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah we don't need LOTR as a TV show. It's done. Let it go.

Culture is going to be really tough to film. I'm a little surprised they'd even try.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
How Amazon, Netflix, HBO or something hasn't picked up Dresden Files astounds me. I can only imagine that it is just tainted by the SyFy channel.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah the problem is if you cut out all the world-building you can presumably pare The Culture into a VERY filmable skeleton plotline. But then it would be episodic stand-alone shit like many 80's sci-fi crap. That's almost certainly how someone who isn't invested into Banks' books would sell it to finance folks who only see scifi as "That-Game-of-Thrones-Market".

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
How Amazon, Netflix, HBO or something hasn't picked up Dresden Files astounds me. I can only imagine that it is just tainted by the SyFy channel.

I'd imagine SyFy still has the rights, and if HBO/Netflix tried to buy them off them, would be met with a hearty 'Go fuck yourself'.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'd imagine SyFy still has the rights, and if HBO/Netflix tried to buy them off them, would be met with a hearty 'Go fuck yourself'.

Butcher has the rights back. He is just unwilling to get screwed over again. He did say he was looking at options but that was like 2-3 years ago.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Adaptations like Dresden Files live or die by their casting. House would've been a disaster with anyone other than Hugh Laurie, the earlier seasons' scripts were lame cringey network shit that would've been played artlessly by another guy.

Then if they somehow DO get lucky with a great character actor, he starts negotiating for rockstar salaries a third of the way through the first season.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That video is great. Love seeing the Roci crew + Drummer that excited about it. Pretty fucking pumped about this.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Renewal aside, can we discuss just how badass Drummer is? Because she is. I love that Cara Gee manages to infuse every moment of her performance with pure raw anger. Even when Drummer is calm she is angry as fuck and it shows.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Renewal aside, can we discuss just how badass Drummer is? Because she is. I love that Cara Gee manages to infuse every moment of her performance with pure raw anger. Even when Drummer is calm she is angry as fuck and it shows.

Asians are the best

• 1Like

Del

Vyemm Raider
I think she's a terrible actress. Her facial expressions alone ruin the scenes she is in. That's not even mentioning her awful accent.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think she's a terrible actress. Her facial expressions alone ruin the scenes she is in. That's not even mentioning her awful accent.
I was just telling my wife that the Drummer on the show is like the Drummer from a couple books ahead... at this point in the story she was just a loyal bureaucrat. She eventually gets all bitter and hardened after living through some trauma.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah we don't need LOTR as a TV show. It's done. Let it go.

If they want to do that genre why not Dragonlance? That's a much beloved series from a lot of people's childhood. Lots of material to work with there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Maybe it's b/c I haven't read the books, so I don't know how Drummer develops there v. on the show, but I love the job she does. Don't mind the accent even.

• 1Like