The Expanse

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I get they were never going to get the look spot on from the books b/c they mostly abandoned the extreme Belter thin look early on with the show...but she doesn't come across as the super capable tech person at all, even the chemistry between her and Holden feels pretty forced.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
they should pull a Game of Thrones and just say "fuck it yeah we'll recast four seasons in" lol

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the chemistry between her and Holden feels pretty forced.

Having not read the books yet, I feel like it's actually fairly representative of what a relationship might be like when your only other options are your sort of brother and the 45 year old martian. Unless she's packing a whole lot of batteries on every trip she needs to get dick from somewhere.

Merrith

Having not read the books yet, I feel like it's actually fairly representative of what a relationship might be like when your only other options are your sort of brother and the 45 year old martian. Unless she's packing a whole lot of batteries on every trip she needs to get dick from somewhere.

Maybe it's because I've started reading the books (about 100 pages into book 3 right now, really not sure if I want to get into book 4 before this season or just go in blind) but it comes across as more than just needing dick.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe it's because I've started reading the books (about 100 pages into book 3 right now, really not sure if I want to get into book 4 before this season or just go in blind) but it comes across as more than just needing dick.

I'm not saying she doesn't suck, I'm just saying it works well enough in the context of the setting.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Book 4 almost made me quit reading the series, so I'd watch the show first and then skip book 4 ;p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Book 4 almost made me quit reading the series, so I'd watch the show first and then skip book 4 ;p

Was book 4 the alien planet book? Been a while since I read the series but I remember that book being such a departure from what the previous books were.

Is this series still pumping out books? I don’t remember it ending. I need to do some googling.

Edit: Did some googling and yeah book 4 was the alien planet one. While it was out of place I didn’t think it was horrible, just not what I wanted to be reading. Thankfully it got right back on track at the end of that book. I see two books have came out since I read, and the final one next year. Guess I’ll do a reread when it’s all finished.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Nah it's not done. The last one got real good but I dunno how they'll do that massive time jump mid-season.

Thus far, they've been cleverly finishing one book two thirds through a season then starting the next one with the remaining episodes to sustain tension.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Holden i feel like is MEANT to be unlikable, to an extent. Naomi, tho, is just a bad actress, completely unbelievable as a rugged belter mechanical genius. she does come across as intelligent, but not as seasoned in any way, more the opposite in that she often feels like she's really straight up naive when i'm watching her mannerisms.
yea, i binged the whole series, (so it's like a blur) but s4 i didn't miss the bitch on the rochi at all. I was confused why they were even running the ship w/o an engineer. I mean i guess Amos is a mechanic, but he looks like he just knows how to do an oil change and is just there for muscle.

naomi is def no where near as likable as Kaylee
uIba0us.jpg

heck she doesn't even sound as capable as b'llana
260px-B%27Elanna_Torres.JPG

or even able to get her hands as dirty as cally
200px-Mini-Cally.jpg

it's not like sci fi hasn't given the gruff garage mechanic/engineer role to women b4, Naomi is just the worst of the rest.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
exactly 3 weeks now till season 4. Started my rewatch last night, was only planning on watching 1 episode and a few this weekend but I zipped through 3 episodes without even thinking about it. I really forgot how strong and gripping the show starts off. If you are rewatching, make sure you search for the 4K UHD version. By default most (all?) amazon apps/etc will give you the 1080p version, there is a seperate 4k version but you have to search for The Expanse UHD to see it.

yeah its pretty fucking retarded that amazon lists them as two seperate goddamn shows

The full season will drop on amazon prime on Dec 13th

vb75a8j1qwz31.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
exactly 3 weeks now till season 4. Started my rewatch last night, was only planning on watching 1 episode and a few this weekend but I zipped through 3 episodes without even thinking about it. I really forgot how strong and gripping the show starts off. If you are rewatching, make sure you search for the 4K UHD version. By default most (all?) amazon apps/etc will give you the 1080p version, there is a seperate 4k version but you have to search for The Expanse UHD to see it.

yeah its pretty fucking retarded that amazon lists them as two seperate goddamn shows

The full season will drop on amazon prime on Dec 13th

vb75a8j1qwz31.jpg
wheres the somoan bitch? isn't she gonna join up with them? shes like a mars traitor like 2x, lulz she has no where to go.

Cybsled

Bobbie wasn't really a part of book 4, which is what the 4th season is based on. As such, I strongly suspect they are going to use elements from the 5th book to give her something to do for this season.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They already confirmed pulling stuff from later books for Bobby and Avasarala and etc

Merrith

So finished Book 3 in the series. Do you guys think I should start 4th book before Season 4 or just wait? Full disclosure will definitely read it and beyond after the season anyways. I just know someone had mentioned not liking book 4 as much.

Also:
Kind of odd how they changed up Ashford. Also I get why Bull was cut, but damn was he a good character for that book. Feel like him and Amos would have gotten along great, until they wouldn't.

• 1Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
So finished Book 3 in the series. Do you guys think I should start 4th book before Season 4 or just wait? Full disclosure will definitely read it and beyond after the season anyways. I just know someone had mentioned not liking book 4 as much.

This is one show that it does not hurt to read ahead. You really seem to get more out of it (at least I did), because they tend to overlap things.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Season 4 will be book 4 and borrow a bit from book 5 as well, based on the trailers.

Book 4 is different than the other books. If each book was an episode of a TV show, book 4 would be the "bottle episode". It is connected to the main narrative, but it sort of happens as a side story and the majority of the story takes place planetside vs. space. What happens in book 4 is very important in terms of understanding what comes later in the book series, though.

• 2Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I havent read the last two books or so but isnt 4 where they introduced the

Idea that the aliens that wiped out the proto molecule makers as being some interdimensional beings that start fucking shit up through the gates/wormholes?

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Bobbie wasn't really a part of book 4, which is what the 4th season is based on. As such, I strongly suspect they are going to use elements from the 5th book to give her something to do for this season.

oh I got something for her to do. The writers should have consulted me. Many many wonderful ideas

khorum

Murder Apologist
I havent read the last two books or so but isnt 4 where they introduced the

Idea that the aliens that wiped out the proto molecule makers as being some interdimensional beings that start fucking shit up through the gates/wormholes?
yeah

But if they're weaving in the next book and transitioning between books late in the season then we'll see a LOT of belter politics and would be introduced to the people in Naomi's past.