The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
fuck'em

Cas Anvar — who was the subject of a sexual misconduct investigation earlier this year — will not be back as Alex Kamal.
1606243134182.gif

• 3Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
First 3 episodes of Season 5 drop 3 weeks from tomorrow. This preview has a clip.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
fuck'em

Cas Anvar — who was the subject of a sexual misconduct investigation earlier this year — will not be back as Alex Kamal.
This was the only show ever I rewatched in anticipation of the new season but now? Fuck em, not getting my fucking +1.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Friend is telling me there is a massive time jump after the current story arc. Maybe it was due to that, as they would have had to apply aging effects to the entire cast.

Cybsled

No, one book left to go.

Presumably season 5 = book 5, so 6 will close out that arc. Fortunately, you can craft a good finale with the ending of book 6.

They would have to kill off Amos somehow...recasting would be fucking odd, but it will feel off not having him. It will probably be some bullshit like High Castle where they kill Tagomi off screen. Although they started filming season 5 during the allegations, right? Maybe they filmed a cliffhanger or resolution to his character to not make it jarring

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Friend is telling me there is a massive time jump after the current story arc. Maybe it was due to that, as they would have had to apply aging effects to the entire cast.

Yes, there is a massive time jump of decades. Plus the set pieces would have been even pricier.

spronk

FPS noob
so is Cas part of season 5 or was he fired before that? I imagine they will simply compress the last 2-3 (including the unreleased book) into a final season, which could be wild or really bad. With the authors being on the writing staff I have real hope it'll be good though.

Its a bummer about Cas, and I really like the actor and the character, but honestly he's just not that important. His best moments were in seasons 2 & 3 while they just got the Roci going, after that he's been a bit of an emo cunt.

I look forward more to the final book wrapping up the galactic soap opera rather than the TV show, I'd rate the last season as the weakest and I don't think its gonna get that much better. seasons 1-3 are still really great.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's where I'm at with it. Yeah I liked his character and him playing git, but at this point, it's not a huge loss for the show.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'd say that Alex just finally gets a shot at reuniting with his family and being a dad to his kids and decides it's worth leaving to go home. Easy out.

Then they bring in a 350# genderfluid "wyman" to take his place for the diversity points...

I'm not looking forward to it.

Cybsled

Shit, I think I know how they will do it. Book spoilers

Remember the scene in book 5 or 6 where they are trying to evade the Belter fleet in the Rosi and are doing 180 no-scopes with the railgun as they go, then they find out Fred Johnson stroked out during the escape? What if they change the scene and Alex has the heroic sacrifice saving them? Like his juice dispenser breaks and he knows the maneuver will carry a high risk of death but he does it anyways? Easy way to write him out of the show, then you can bring in Drummer to pilot for the final season

Goatface

main filming wrapped in Feb. Cas stuff starting end of June. Avasarala posted in August that she just finished voice over work.
he hasn't been part of any social meda, streams, panels or promos from June on, so the decision was probably made long ago.
they probably either did a reshoot or going to get rid of him off camera.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Book reader types -- is there any chance the overarching plot can be brought to some sort of conclusion by the end of season 6 based on what we know is covered by season 5?

I'll assume they end it before the time skip. That would have been problematic to do with the same actors anyway. Makes for a bit of a downer as an ending though.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
No, one book left to go.

Presumably season 5 = book 5, so 6 will close out that arc. Fortunately, you can craft a good finale with the ending of book 6.

Can you though? I haven't read the books but from what I understand--they still haven't revealed the two big mysteries from the books. Who were the gate builders, and who or what killed them (Potentially some extra dimensional aggressors is all that's known, right?)

I like the characters in the show, but the reality is--none of them have arcs that I want to see conclude except maybe Amos. There is no mystery or burning questions with any of them. If the show ended now, from that perspective it would be satisfying.

The only thing really left to satisfy is who built the gates/protomolecule and what killed them? If the show ends before the book explains that, it sounds like it will suck.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Can you though? I haven't read the books but from what I understand--they still haven't revealed the two big mysteries from the books. Who were the gate builders, and who or what killed them (Potentially some extra dimensional aggressors is all that's known, right?)

I like the characters in the show, but the reality is--none of them have arcs that I want to see conclude except maybe Amos. There is no mystery or burning questions with any of them. If the show ended now, from that perspective it would be satisfying.

The only thing really left to satisfy is who built the gates/protomolecule and what killed them? If the show ends before the book explains that, it sounds like it will suck.

Read the books

Cybsled

Books 7+ almost feel like a sequel vs a main continuation of the same running story, so to speak

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Alex is the second best character on the show, so I dont know how shit this will make season 6. I don't see conviction anywhere...

For a "fun" read, here is the reddit post on Cas, with the reddit disclaimer and in spoilers...

2020-11-25 17.26.50 www.reddit.com 0d86df4f3b62.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like