The Expanse

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That scene wasn't cut from the version I watched. I definitely remember it.

Weird.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There are two different cuts for the first couple seasons as far as I can tell, one being a slimmed down version for broadcast times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That scene wasn't cut from the version I watched. I definitely remember it.

Weird.

I was going to say the same.

I watched it once on Syfy and three times on Amazon. I was pretty sure it had been there every time, but then I scanned the Syfy episode at 6x speed, and it's not included. So yea, Amazon has the original UK cut, and Syfy had to edit for time.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, that meeting where she first hires Cotyar got cut for some reason, but they forgot to remove the clip from the 'previously' segment. They ended up putting it on YT at least:

unavailable outside the US, haha. They're asking for it.

And they actually cut that? It's such an important scene, it now makes no fucking sense to have him appear in Episode 2 in the scene in the bar with the Admiral

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Book one down. I'm surprised how faithful they were with the show, and the changes they made were for the better. Show Amos and Miller were better due to the actors elevating them for sure.

It was really weird not having a perspective from Avasarla through the Eros stuff, and the differences between Dawes' versions was surprising.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'd chalk that up to "When editors get sloppy and have to make deadline."

If you haven't read the books, read a few of them. I lost interest I think about halfway through the third book, it might have been the fourth, but not because it was bad. It became predictable and a little too obviously modeled off of a role playing group session. I got real tired of Lawful Stupid paragon-shep playthrough.

But that sounds like a stronger critisism than I mean to be. Books one and two were GREAT pulp. That detective is such a great character, and what they did with him was fresh and funny. It was eventually Holden being holden for no deeper reason than he's a space paladin named Holden that just took me completely out of it. I wanted a little more than that, it doesn't make what they wrote BAD, just not what I wanted.

The detective being so good makes Holden even worse in contrast, and they hadn't replaced that detective with an equally interesting character to offset the blandness of holden by the time I decided they probably weren't going to. Maybe one shows up in book 6 or something, if those guys are still writing them.
I like Holden more as the series goes on. He actually matures in a way that's rare for fiction works. He doesn't change so much as gain nuance. I'd say you should check out the books. TBH I don't think the plot past Cibola Burn was predictable, and you really see the maturation of the crew. I didn't appreciate Naomi until Nemesis games and on, before that she was pretty loosely fleshed out and not really all that interesting.

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ok I thought I was paying attention, but I must have missed the explanation of the MCR interrogation pill they use over and over? Wouldn't you drug the person you're interrogating?

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
ok I thought I was paying attention, but I must have missed the explanation of the MCR interrogation pill they use over and over? Wouldn't you drug the person you're interrogating?
It's a hyper focus drug. It's enhancing their perception to read things like microreactions

At least that's what I remember

• 2Like

Khane

It heightens the interrogators senses. They finally say that little bit about it I think in late season 3 or season 4. I think the creators figured doing a close up of their pupils dilating right after they take it should be enough of a cue but people still questioned it so they gave a throwaway line about it eventually. And it really is a throwaway "why is the audience this dumb" type of line.

I mean... they completely ripped off limitless in the show with the close up of the pupils.

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
. I think the creators figured doing a close up of their pupils dilating
Isn't that how drugs just work?

Granted I may be the least knowledgable person on drugs in here. A few years back, I had a weekly RPG session to where I cycled and then showered there. One day, my friend told me I couldn't shower today for reasons she couldn't share. I just told em I'm gonna start stinking up the place, upon which I was allowed to shower, but I must tell *no one* what I'd see.

So there I was in the bathroom, standing next to a two foot tall potted plant I failed to recognize or even spot for over five minutes of carefully looking at everything in the room what it was I wasn't supposed to talk abvout.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I try very hard to like Alex for moments like that, but I find him a bit too goofy for my tastes. It's probably the accent. I know it's from the books, but it comes out as parody in the show.

For me it's the appearance of Alex and the hokey western drawl he's doing 24/7.

He was never on earth, in a meaningful way as far as I am aware, and a "western" accent would be something that wouldn't really exist in that time-line.

Aside from that, I enjoy his character, it just feels out of place thematically with the accent.

I can't even successfully relay my sadness in losing Ashford in the last episode, fuck me I loved his character. His character was so much more interesting than the shit tier Nagata, instead we get more shit tier back-story about her in the place of his sage-like guidance.

I really hated the aspect of this season of siding with the squatters even after they killed people.

Bitch they KILLED PEOPLE, this wasn't a "Oops you ran out of fuel and now you can't leave but no one died!" it's straight up 23 people dead and no one held accountable because of feels. They wanted me to side with the lady and her family but no, bitch you killed 23 people because of your shit. The "EVIL CORPORATE DUDE" was nearly completely right. He was only killing people who killed his people and only went off the rails a BIT when no one was taking him seriously and had to take shit into his own hands when shit was hitting the fan.

Overall...I kinda hope this isn't a vision of the future of the crew ultimately becoming space SJW's.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

He was never on earth, in a meaningful way as far as I am aware, and a "western" accent would be something that wouldn't really exist in that time-line.

Aside from that, I enjoy his character, it just feels out of place thematically with the accent.

I can't even successfully relay my sadness in losing Ashford in the last episode, fuck me I loved his character. His character was so much more interesting than the shit tier Nagata, instead we get more shit tier back-story about her in the place of his sage-like guidance.

I really hated the aspect of this season of siding with the squatters even after they killed people.

Bitch they KILLED PEOPLE, this wasn't a "Oops you ran out of fuel and now you can't leave but no one died!" it's straight up 23 people dead and no one held accountable because of feels. They wanted me to side with the lady and her family but no, bitch you killed 23 people because of your shit. The "EVIL CORPORATE DUDE" was nearly completely right. He was only killing people who killed his people and only went off the rails a BIT when no one was taking him seriously and had to take shit into his own hands when shit was hitting the fan.

Overall...I kinda hope this isn't a vision of the future of the crew ultimately becoming space SJW's.

Actually it's pretty established there's a whole valley on Mars where that accent is widespread.

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

Actually it's pretty established there's a whole valley on Mars where that accent is widespread.

Okay, I agree with the sentiment that attention to detail is nice, still strikes me as odd since the manner of speaking in't an entire country but more a caricature of a locale that possibly wouldn't even exist in their time line due to the planet flooding.

• 1Like

Burns

I guess I have lived in Texas too long, because I hardly find it noticeable. On the other hand, the scar/wrinkle on his chin makes it look like his beard is fake, and it bothers me, slightly.

As for season 4, I also had little sympathy for the Belters that killed the Earthers, but this is a land rush and a new age of discovery; not a squatter situation. No one can just claim rights to the 1000s of systems that all just opened up. The first ones to land, get to plant the flag and then they have to defend it; that is how new land discoveries have worked since the beginning of time. The complexities of the situation is what the whole season is about. If the Belters were just there, and the Earthers landed and said this is mine, by order of some earth court, there isn't much grey area.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah I just finished the first book as well and was also surprised how well the show adapted the material. In quite a few ways I think they improved it, especially in regards to adding more tension/personal conflict throughout...one example being how rough things started out with the crew at the start of the show. Even though I quite liked show version of Miller, I think getting his POV in book makes him even better. He's certainly a sad sack on the show, but the book really exposes how broken he was. Oh one funny thing was how much of a playboy Holden was on the Cant in the book.

• 1Like

Khane

The authors deciding that Martians have earthen, region specific accents hundreds of years after leaving earth is real fucking stupid. It detracts from the story. "No place is one place! Except every place has accents from one place... a place called earth! A place everyone but "earthers" hate!!!"

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Cybsled

That's how accents work, though. People with accents from one place move to a new place, if there is enough density of the accent then usually it will stick or become a mix and thus a regional accent. There is a theory that the Southern and Boston accents are similar to the old British accents during colonial times that essentially came over, but the British accents later changed during the 19th century, but the US side kept them in those regions

Food is the same way. A lot of people don't realize that most Cajun food in Louisiana region is basically old French recipes from a time when French cuisine was very different than what we associate with modern French food. It's sort of like a time capsule.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I found the forced empathy for belters on the new planet pretty empty. Beltere are established as extremists, them doing an extreme activity was practically guaranteed. I did however feel for the woman - she had a line she didnt want to cross but they were ok crossing. She wanted to throw in the towel but couldn't.

Khane

That's how accents work, though. People with accents from one place move to a new place, if there is enough density of the accent then usually it will stick or become a mix and thus a regional accent. There is a theory that the Southern and Boston accents are similar to the old British accents during colonial times that essentially came over, but the British accents later changed during the 19th century, but the US side kept them in those regions

Food is the same way. A lot of people don't realize that most Cajun food in Louisiana region is basically old French recipes from a time when French cuisine was very different than what we associate with modern French food. It's sort of like a time capsule.

The belters I kind of get. It was an amalgamation of accents like you're describing which makes sense because they have basically sectioned themselves even within the belt. But pretty much the only 2 martians with an accent were Alex (Southern American) and Bobbie (New Zealand).