The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

I still enjoy the show but I have been let down a lot this season..

5 episodes in and we've hardly seen anything about earth after the impacts. the cliff hanger last season had me anticipating crazy story lines dealing with tsunamis and shit.. but all we get is a couple people trapped in a jail with no contact to outside world.

meh

The books really only focused on the details of the asteroid impact with Amos' and Avasaralla's POV chapters. Amos' is naturally limited to the areas he visits and Ava's are focused on the more macro view and the global repercussions of it. It plays out with more detail in the books, so presumably the show will too. Just fucking chill.

One of my major peeves is people who complain about a show not resolving (insert plot point here) and you're only 1/4th or half way through the season. That's like reading a book and getting pissed off the book didn't full resolve everything in the first chapters.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I think this season is ok. I definitely prefer the first 3 seasons. Season 4 was a real dud, so much so that I am fine with no more alien crap for now.

This season definitely is lacking an overall hook though. It's just people being various shades of shitty and plowing through despite everything.

I will say that at this point I wouldn't mind seeing naomi's character get spaced though. That whole arc is beyond dumb.

Cybsled

Naomi's parts bored me in the books as well - they mostly served as a window into the shit going on with Marcos and the rebelling Belters. There were some interesting bits that came from that, though. Dunno if they'll touch on it in the show, but with humanity spread across the solar system, what is considered "valuable" in the future is very different. Like amber with preserved life in it is considered extremely valuable as a "gemstone", because it could only form on Earth and you can't find it elsewhere in the solar system, which makes it a legitimately rare item (vs. stuff like diamonds and gold, which you can find elsewhere).

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Naomi's character would be fine if you removed the "mother" element from it and it was just more about loyalty to ship or faction. The actress aside, the mother story just feels out of place in this instance. I could see the character perhaps feeling bad from afar but going to her son and trying to change his mind is just stupid. It is also something that 99% of the people watching this kind of show, do not want to watch.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Naomi's character would be fine if you removed the "mother" element from it and it was just more about loyalty to ship or faction. The actress aside, the mother story just feels out of place in this instance. I could see the character perhaps feeling bad from afar but going to her son and trying to change his mind is just stupid. It is also something that 99% of the people watching this kind of show, do not want to watch.
It was always retarded. Hey everyone, I had a son 20 years ago that I abandoned and I have never ever mentioned once despite being crewed together for like five plus years. Well I have to go save him now and I have to go alone. It was just shoehorned to give a segway into that radical belter faction for no reason. There were plenty of radical belter factions already introduced. Maro Inaros could have been anybody and it wouldn't have mattered.

But no, you have to put in this redemption story for Naomi's son when he was directly responsible for killing billions of people. That shit always made me salty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
But no, you have to put in this redemption story for Naomi's son when he was directly responsible for killing billions of people. That shit always made me salty.

That is one of my top gripes about the series as a whole. Redemption for someone that murdered billions

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I just fast forward through any scene with Naomi in it. Worthless character.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Do they really not have enough Bezos Bucks to make Peaches going Super Saiyan not look retarded?

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I just fast forward through any scene with Naomi in it. Worthless character.
In a show with so many interesting female characters the most important one just kind of sucks. I only read the first couple of books years ago, so I can't really remember if I thought she sucked then too or not. May need to read the series at some point.
Do they really not have enough Bezos Bucks to make Peaches going Super Saiyan not look retarded?
Yeah that was definitely some cheap TV shit for real.

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I read the first 5 books when they first came out.

By the 3rd book I was skipping over Naomi parts. She's even worse in the show.

For this season there is NO point in watching any scene with her, her dumb kid or the even dumber ex in it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

Book Naomi was at least hot in my head canon.
Was the preppers house illegal? did he just fence off a part of the conservatory or did he have money to buy land?

Cybsled

I don’t recall if they went into any sort of detail in the book regarding that, just that the dude was a doomsday prepper.

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
Amos realising he has no morals at all and needs his crew was fucking awesome, carried the fuck out of this episode.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can tell the series is based on a book, because time flows logically and they show each character progressing whether they have interesting action scenes or not.

That's why they have other formats like DS9 or Clone Wars where they can jump around time-wise you don't need an episode about O'Brien's boring work week.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You can tell the series is based on a book, because time flows logically and they show each character progressing whether they have interesting action scenes or not.

That's why they have other formats like DS9 or Clone Wars where they can jump around time-wise you don't need an episode about O'Brien's boring work week.
Books will plod through a character suffering sometime because they can delve into the mental progression of characters like that. Visual media has a way of showing that shit too, its called a MONTAGE

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't hate the Tycho stuff or the Drummer stuff as much as some people seem to, but Amos scenes are definitely the best of the bunch in general. The Marco/Naomi stuff is pretty terrible though and now the Drummer stuff seems like there will be mixed in with that and it's a damn shame.

• 1Like