The Fall 2019 Anime Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My reviews of the new season so far. I'll add reviews/brief synopsis of the other shows as I watch them. * means I'll try episode 2+ before making a final decision.

Africa no Salaryman - Nope. Kid's show about a lion person that has a job.

* Ahiru no Sora - Basketball show. Reminds me of Haikyuu!! because it's a short guy trying to do jumping and shit. Ok... I really like it. Stupid sports shows always get me, even though I hate sports IRL.

* Assassins Pride - Assassin and Magic Girls. He was hired to train or kill her, depending on if she's magic or not. Intro was worth a 2nd episode. I'll judge it later.

Azur Lane - Lots of big tittied girls fight in wars against each other. Some are animal girls I guess. Turns out the girls ARE the navy ships, and can convert the ships into smaller personal armor weapons. Neat? Lots of shit going on, but I'm bored.

Babylon - Fully CGI animated. It's a legal show about prosecutors going after criminals. First episode goes from white collar to murder mystery to political thriller. This is probably going to be an interesting show, but not enough to get me to watch it. This feels like a drama on FOX.

* Boku no Hero Academia - Return of the best show.

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai - Season 2, I didn't watch season 1, so pass.

* Choyoyu - The 7 "best" people from random fields (which also happen to be in High School) are summoned to another world. Inventor, Samurai, Doctor, Entrepreneur, Magician, Journalist, & Politician... Last few really fell off. Show's dumb, but I kind of like it anyway. Will continue watching for a little longer.

* Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy - Kid is a huge Power Rangers nerd, and thinks the new transfer student is the Pink ranger. Really dumb show, but I kinda like it. Will probably watch another episode.

Fate Grand Order - Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia - Long name. Some invincible fighting magic girl. Quality of Animation is good (the action scenes), but I'm not a fan of the base style they went with. It seems very entry level. And why does every fighting girl wear high heels? To be honest, it didn't grab me from the start so I'm not even giving it a chance. There seems to be a lot of blood. Maybe I'll reconsider.

* Granblue Fantasy The Animation - Season 2. I enjoyed season 1, so I'll continue this series. The show isn't the one I pictured when I thought of the name, but that's alright. I still remember it, even if vaguely.

* Gundam Build Divers Re-RISE -
My daughter loved Gundam Build Fighters, so I'm letting her watch this.

* Hataage! Kemono Michi - You got it, another isekai show! A pro wrestler, Animal Mask, has been summoned to another world to kill the demon animals that are terrorising people. Unfortunately, he likes animals too much to kill, so he goes after the people that summoned him. Everyone thinks he's a pervert because he's wearing a bikini bottom, but this world has "beast men" and he instantly loves it there. It's pretty funny.

Honzuki no Gekokuiou - Isekai again. This one, a girl dies but wishes to be reborn in another world where she can keep reading books, so... Yeah, I'm done.

* Hoshiai no Sora - Slice of life style show about high school elective clubs and a new transfer student. Beautiful "classic" animation. I like the show, but I can't explain why. I'll try episode 2. The story changed suddenly with the after credits scene.

Houkago Saikoro Club - Group of girls love playing boardgames from around the world. I'm not interested.

Kabukicho Sherlock - Didn't watch. I don't care, there's enough shows already.

Kandagawa Jet Girls - Didn't watch. I don't care, there's enough shows already.

* Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - This is the Demon School show. Similar art style to Hunter x Hunter. IE - childish. It's a silly show, but oddly enjoyable. I'll give it another episode or two.

Mugen no Juunin - Immortal - Didn't watch. I don't care, there's enough shows already.

No Guns Life - Ok, a guy (detective?) has a gun for a head. Neat? Not even going to give this a chance. Premise is way too lame.

Null Peta - 5 minute stupid show. Pass.

Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo - Good concept. 10th grade high school boy is friends with 2 pretty girls. They both ask him out over the weekend, only to both confess that they are in love with his best friend and want his help getting them together. In the mean time, he likes both of them and is extremely jealous. On the other hand, the school librarian girl loves the MC and likes his "darker" side. I like the idea, but have too many shows to watch already, so I'll skip this one.

Rifle is Beautiful - Didn't watch. I don't care, there's enough shows already.

Shin Chuuka Ichiban! - Attempting to be the "new" Shokugeki. It also teaches the viewer a heartwarming lesson. How wonderful. Pass.

* Shinchou Yuusha - This is another "summoned to a new universe" style of Anime. Really feels like this season's "Kono Suba". It's funny. The summoned guy is strong because he'a a very careful game player in another world. After he's summoned, he only wants to focus on leveling up as slowly as possible, and whatever else he can do to boost his stats.

* Shokugeki no Soma - Cooking and sex appeal at its best. This show is one of my favorites.

Stand My Heroes - Piece of Truth - Didn't watch. I don't care, there's enough shows already.

* Sword Art Online - Alicization - War of Underworld - It's SAO, so of course I'll watch it. First 2 seasons were greatness, and while the 3rd is a bit slower, I still enjoy the overall story.

Val x Love - Didn't watch. I don't care, there's enough shows already.

Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! - Yet another Isekai story. This girl wants a completely normal everyday life. This pokes fun at the entire isekai genre. I'm sure the show will be funny, but I already like too many, so I'm going to skip this one.

ZX - Code Reunion - This is another of the "something desasterous happened on earth" kind of shows. Now young girls have to fight for everyone's wellbeing by summoning magic weapons that can defete the aliens in this war between worlds. I so don't care.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Clara on Demon School is the anime epitome of don't stick your dick in crazy. A less harmful version of the girl from Future Diary.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Kimono Michi - Rise Up. A pro wrestler who wants to retire and open a pet shop is summoned to another world in the middle of his final bout for the world championship. Extremely silly, noticably pervy, some fan service and imo very funny.

How Not To Summon A Demon Lord. From sometime earlier but I just got introduced to it- A shut-in who plays as a boss demon in a video game wind up as that demon lord in a lower-powered version of the game world. Lots of fan service during person-who-has-no-idea-how-to-interact-with-people, let-alone-girls suddenly having to deal with people, especially girls. Quite entertaining I think, and the english voice acting is somehow spot on. 12 episode season.

Both available on Nyaa.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So much hype - Mushoku Tensei PV

I found all 25 volumes of the webnovel on nyaa. They've been translated to English.

So many pages to read...

Vol 1: 287
vol 2: 260
vol 3: 373
vol 4: 376
vol 5: 348
vol 6: 423
vol 7: 187
vol 8: 317
vol 9: 271
vol 10: 192
vol 11: 350
vol 12: 268
vol 13: 351
vol 14: 305
vol 15: 283
vol 16: 252
vol 17: 290
vol 18: 322
vol 19: 320
vol 20: 341
vol 21: (recap) 156
vol 22: 387
vol 23: 297
vol 24: 539
vol 25: 73

I'll give this book a try and see how I like it. It's a lot of reading, though.

I'm a 34 year old homeless and jobless person.
I'm plump and ugly, a nice guy who regrets how he lived his life.
I wasn't homeless three hours ago; I was a veteran NEET who hadn't left my room for the past year.
However, my parents had passed away without me noticing.
As a NEET, I didn't even attend the family meeting, let alone the funeral.
And in the end, I was chased out of the house.

I banged loudly on the walls and floor, flailing about as if no one was at home, for no one spoke up for me.
I was masturbating in my room on the funeral day when my siblings suddenly rushed in, dressed in mourning clothes, and declared that they were severing all relations with me.
I ignored them, and my younger brother took a wooden bat and destroyed the computer I valued more highly than my life.
Half-crazed, I lunged at them, but my older brother has a dan rank in karate, and I was viciously beaten in turn.
I sobbed and begged for forgiveness in an unsightly manner, but I was chased out the door, and didn't even have time to change my clothes.
I endured the throbbing pain in my chest (most of my ribs were
probably broken), and walked unsteadily on the streets.
My siblings' rebukes from when I left the house resounded in my ears.
They were harsh insults that were difficult to take in.
My heart was completely broken.
What did I do wrong?
All I did was masturbate to a mosaic-less loli video during my parents' funeral......
What should I do next?
No, my mind does indeed know.
Find a job or part time job, then a place to live in, and buy some food.
How should I go about this?
I don't know what I should do to find a job.
Hmm, I still know about going to "Hello".
But though I'm not showing off that I have more than 10 years experience in staying indoors, how the heck should I know where Hello is? Furthermore, even if I go to Hello, I'd heard that it only introduces you to a job.
I'd have to bring a resume, go to the recommended place, and take an interview. I'd have to go for an interview in a dirty sweatsuit covered with sweat and blood.
Heck, if I can get employed. Even I wouldn't employ a fellow wearing something crazy like this. Maybe I would sympathize with him, but I definitely wouldn't employ him.
Are there any shops that sell resume papers?.
Stationery stores? Convenience stores?
Maybe a convenience store might have them if I do go there, but I don't have any money.
And then, what will I do if I settle all of that?
Assuming that I do get lucky, manage to borrow money from a financial institute, get a change of clothes, and buy some resume papers and stationery .
I'd heard that you can't complete the resume if you don't record your residence.
It's over. Right at this moment, I finally found my life has reached its end.
.....Hah.
It started to rain.
The icy rain pierces through my clothes that I don't know how many years I worn it for, mercilessly stealing my body heat away......
If I could start over from the beginning.
I couldn't help myself from saying that.
I wasn't born such a rotten human.
I was born as the third son in a somewhat wealthy family. Two older brothers, one older sister, and one younger brother. The fourth in amongst the five siblings. In primary school, I was praised as clever despite being young.
Even though I wasn't considered great at studies, I was good at games, a brat who's pretty good at sports. I was once even the center of attention in my class.
Then in junior high school I entered the computer club, consulted through magazines, and saved enough money to assemble a computer. I stood out amongst my family, none of whom could write a single line of code.
The turning point in my life was high school...... no, it started in the third year of junior high. I was so busy tinkering with the computer that I neglected my studies. Thinking back on it now, that was where it all started.
I thought that learning stuff was useless for the future. I felt it couldn't be used in real life.
In the end, I entered the most idiotic high school, considered the worst in the prefecture.
Even so, I thought it was nothing.
I felt I would succeed if I got serious, and that I was different from those other idiots. That was what I thought.

I still remember the incident back then.
While queuing up to buy lunch at the cafeteria, there was a fellow who cut the queue.
I grumbled a few sentences as if I was acting out of righteousness.
That was due to my strange pride and the chuunibyou personality I had.
Unfortunately, he was my senpai, and one of the two most dangerous people in the school.
I ended up being punched in the face until it was swollen, stripped naked, and tied in front of the school.
He took a lot of pictures, and easily distributed them all over the school. .
I fell to the bottom of the hierarchy in an instant, got laughed at by others, and even got the nickname of "Foreskin boy"'.
I didn't go to school for a month, and became a hikikomori. Upon seeing me like this, my father and brothers said irresponsible words to me like, Bring out your courage, do your best.
I hadn't been the one at fault.
Nobody in that sort of situation would continue to attend school. There is no way.
Thus, no matter what anyone else said, I adamantly continued my shut-in lifestyle.
I felt that the peers who knew me were all looking at my pictures, mocking me.
Even if I didn't go out, as long as I had the computer and internet, I could spend my time away. Due to the internet's influence, I got interested in many things, and did a variety of stuff. Assembling plastic models, painting figurines, creating weblogs. My mother was willing to support me and it seemed she would come up with the money to help me out for as long as I requested it.
But I was sick of them all in less than a year.
I lost my motivation whenever I saw someone being better than me.
To others, I was merely fooling around. But as I was alone with so much time, hiding in my dark shell, I had nothing else to do.
No, even when I think back on it, that was merely an excuse.
At the very least, it would have been a better choice to become a mangaka and started publishing terrible web comics, or to become a web novelist and started posting novels.
Many people who shared similar circumstances did something like that.
I made fun of and slighted those people.
Mocking their creations, thinking myself as a critic, saying things like "It's worse than shit", criticizing them.
Even though I did nothing at all......

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I found all 25 volumes of the webnovel on nyaa. They've been translated to English.
You should've found the official Seven Seas LN translation up to volume 4 on Nyaa, too. There is a manga adaptation, too.

Anyways, you are embarking on a long journey, because this is the granddaddy of isekai/reincarnation fantasy novels. It gets sometimes slice-of-lifey, and the "big bad" (of which you thought wasn't the big bad) doesn't reveal itself until later (book 13 IIRC), until a point where the whole pivots and you basically have to re-evaluate previous events. Most refer to as "the turning point" - of which there are some. In fact a lot of major plot points from "shit-hits-the-fan" don't get resolved until way later.

This one may or may not work, because it needs to cover a lot of ground. If it gets condensed down too much we get another Index III, where you can only follow the story if you already read the novels. The manga is already a bit condensed.

Since White Fox (who did Re:Zero) and Egg Firm (a production company) created the new Studio Bind for this anime there maybe hope for this to be a long seasonal thing like AoT, Jojo or MHA.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The best line in anime...

Clipboard01.jpg

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Vinland Saga was fuckin amazing. SOA is about to get goooood.

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
SOA gives me hope that we get a good season after the let down last one was.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Anyways, you are embarking on a long journey, because this is the granddaddy of isekai/reincarnation fantasy novels. It gets sometimes slice-of-lifey, and the "big bad" (of which you thought wasn't the big bad) doesn't reveal itself until later (book 13 IIRC), until a point where the whole pivots and you basically have to re-evaluate previous events. Most refer to as "the turning point" - of which there are some. In fact a lot of major plot points from "shit-hits-the-fan" don't get resolved until way later.
I just finished book #1 "Infancy Period". Really enjoyed it. I look forward to starting book 2 tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Kemono Michi is written by the same guy who does KonoSuba. He also writes Sentouin, Hakenshimasu! which is hilarious too.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I give a little chuckle at most for most anime but this shit had me rolling. Comedy is up there with One Punch Man.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Ok oresuki is fucking good.

That is some good comedy lol

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I rewatched Future Diary for the first time in like 5 years this weekend. I am reminded why Yuno Gasai is my best girl in perpetuity and waifu.

Who wouldn't want the kind of girl who breaks into your house by smashing a window to make dinner and clean everything so she can impress your mom? Homicidal jealousy and all we can overlook!

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Going through my backlog i binged carol and tuesday.

What a great show.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I rewatched Future Diary for the first time in like 5 years this weekend. I am reminded why Yuno Gasai is my best girl in perpetuity and waifu.

Who wouldn't want the kind of girl who breaks into your house by smashing a window to make dinner and clean everything so she can impress your mom? Homicidal jealousy and all we can overlook!

Still the craziest bitch in anime, and it's not like anime lacks contenders for that title ;p

• 1Like