The Fast Food Thread

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
yup thats the one i goto, and has a korean grocer manned by two oldies right by it.

fmart, the northern one, the other one in the city is pretty deep in.

I used to hang in that area a lot. Have some friends who live right around the corner from that place. But that strip mall always looked kind of seedy. Used to get my taxes done across the street, but they closed and expanded the liquor store. The Steak and Shake I posted pictures from not too long ago was the one about a block to the east, before you hit Metcalf.

One of the Thai places I used to go to is maybe a mile to the northeast (Thai Orchid). But a lot of folks seem to want to go more towards downtown to hit up Lulu's, which I don't get. They seem kinda hipster to me. I think every time I've been there, we've been served by one art school dropout with tats and piercings or another.

I don't go to Asian Markets much, because I can't/don't cook any of it. I think the Fmart in Lawrence is near where one of my old HS librarian's Chinese restaurants was.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I used to hang in that area a lot. Have some friends who live right around the corner from that place. But that strip mall always looked kind of seedy. Used to get my taxes done across the street, but they closed and expanded the liquor store. The Steak and Shake I posted pictures from not too long ago was the one about a block to the east, before you hit Metcalf.

One of the Thai places I used to go to is maybe a mile to the northeast (Thai Orchid). But a lot of folks seem to want to go more towards downtown to hit up Lulu's, which I don't get. They seem kinda hipster to me. I think every time I've been there, we've been served by one art school dropout with tats and piercings or another.

I don't go to Asian Markets much, because I can't/don't cook any of it. I think the Fmart in Lawrence is near where one of my old HS librarian's Chinese restaurants was.
all the food in Lawrence (that strip, whatever it's called) seems really hipster to me, like when i go in, it's like williamsburg(bklyn) lite. Made it a point to not go to Lawrence and it's fine since all the ppl i now know (the one guy who lived in Lawrence moved on) are in Topeka.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's because there's almost no nutritional value in most fast food. It's the Top 40 of food. Readily available, catchy, and fleeting.
Oh I agree with you. And this didn't happen over night. I just expect to be able to give the kid a few chicken nuggs and a few fries and he's good. I gotta get outta the past and look to the future!

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
IIt's the Top 40 of food. Readily available, catchy, and fleeting.

Your honor I present to you exhibit A and B.

Fast food being classy.

1543821954915.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i will say this, fast food used to taste better as a kid. you could order a big ass bowl of chili at Wendy's. that was good for a meal.
a regular mcdonalds cheeseburger was even tasty. the whopper was king. they did something to fast food in the last 20 or more years where even the bread feels artificial. no idea what it is. some fast food is still great, but its not how i remember it.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
But a lot of folks seem to want to go more towards downtown to hit up Lulu's, which I don't get. They seem kinda hipster to me. I think every time I've been there, we've been served by one art school dropout with tats and piercings or another.

How does that affect the quality of the food? Most hipster areas and restaurants have the best food.

• 1Pants on Fire!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've posted a few times about the cost of fast food lately. I've got 3 kids age 5, 4, and 2 and the cost is just getting insane. My 5 year old continues to eat what I think is a normal amount and then finishes and says I'm still hungry! I keep thinking holy balls dude you're eating as much as an adult. Hahaha

I can't even imagine what this is going to be like when they are all teenagers. FML.

Pretty sure I remember my dad talking about this. When my three sisters and I were teenagers we burned through two gallons of milk a day, 1.5 loaves of bread /2days (he started making bread himself with a bread machine because of this), 1 pound of lunch meat daily, a brick of that mild tillamook cheddar every two days, tons of cereal... This was during the school year. He said groceries were like $300 a week when we were in high school.

That was just sandwiches. He cooked a lot but I forget all that he said. I just remember the sandwich economics specifically. We hunted a lot also so who knows how much fish and elk we ate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's why I cook food. I can buy two pounds of hamburger for $5 on sale pretty regularly, a bag of fries for a couple bucks. Takes all of 30 minutes to make.

Or I suppose I could spend $40 at McDonald's. Not judging of course. Trying to keep the kids away from that shit though.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Most hipster areas and restaurants have the best food.

No, they just think they do. They mostly serve trendy, oversauced run of the mill food for exorbitant prices. That's not to say it's bad, but it's almost never worth the price. "Oh my god, did you try the new garlic aioli short rib grilled cheese at the Moustachio Food Truck?"

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How does that affect the quality of the food? Most hipster areas and restaurants have the best food.

I'll take a rural greasepit or ma and pa BBQ joint in the Ghetto any day of the week.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I scienced McD today for its new crafted Mushroom Swiss.
sucked - smelled bad and taste reminded me of smell. Also, when reach into crammed box, impossible to not finger some slime beans, erotic
The added seasoning also did it no justice.
Overall fail

Mushrooms are pretty divisive, needs must declare that I'm middle of the road with them. Sometimes I buy in grocery, maybe twice every three months.
With that said. a long time ago I tried a Hardee's Mushroom Swiss and remember it working surprisingly well. Also that same sandwich is friend's favorite.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’d cook but my group needs me. Having ubereats drop off my 4 th meal in time for the big raid let’s me maintain a perfect attendance for DKP.

1543872826687.gif

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 7 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I scienced McD today for its new crafted Mushroom Swiss.
sucked - smelled bad and taste reminded me of smell. Also, when reach into crammed box, impossible to not finger some slime beans, erotic
The added seasoning also did it no justice.
Overall fail

Mushrooms are pretty divisive, needs must declare that I'm middle of the road with them. Sometimes I buy in grocery, maybe twice every three months.
With that said. a long time ago I tried a Hardee's Mushroom Swiss and remember it working surprisingly well. Also that same sandwich is friend's favorite.

I enjoy your fast food reviews. You're a real treasure of this thread. I feel like your weird pseudo-ESL style of writing really adds something to your reviews.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No, they just think they do. They mostly serve trendy, oversauced run of the mill food for exorbitant prices. That's not to say it's bad, but it's almost never worth the price. "Oh my god, did you try the new garlic aioli short rib grilled cheese at the Moustachio Food Truck?"

I assume most people assume non-chain = hipster. The term "hipster" can mean almost anything anymore. Everyone has different definitions for it. Taco trucks and taquerias? Hipster. Ethnic fusion cuisine? Hipster. $13 cocktails? Hipster. $2 Tecates? Hipster.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hipster doesn't actually mean anything anymore. True hipsters are too lazy to open a restaurant. They are far too busy smoking cheap cigarettes on the balcony of their shithole apartment listening to terrible music with a couple of copies of whatever book/article their favorite jaded, sociopathic author has recently shit out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I assume most people assume non-chain = hipster. The term "hipster" can mean almost anything anymore. Everyone has different definitions for it. Taco trucks and taquerias? Hipster. Ethnic fusion cuisine? Hipster. $13 cocktails? Hipster. $2 Tecates? Hipster.

You may be on to something here. I’m going to start selling $20 cans of Beenie weenies out of a food truck( my trunk) this weekend @ Georgetown and Adams Morgan.

1543876351507.jpeg

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That's because there is a subset of hipsters that will latch on to anything.