The Fast Food Thread

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna go rogue here and present a different viewpoint from this conflict.

The thing that nothing but meat can even come close to replicating is its texture. Take a perfectly cooked tenderloin steak. A slightly crunchy saltiness giving a moment's resistance to the teeth, the tender melting butteriness of the flesh that breaks apart into delicate flakes in your mouth. The mouth feel of meat is vastly different from any other food. I don't care if I can taste fish on sushi, though I'm rather sure I can. You could put the most perfect slice of fish-tasting tofu in my sushi and I'd retch it across the room. The feel is an utter nightmare compared to that of fish, and I feel as much as taste my food.

I'll take sauces on my steak. burre, balsamic reductions, browned butter sauces. I don't care if a steak is well done or raw (yes I've eaten plenty of raw steaks), as long as it has that beautiful feel of perfectly cooked meat. A tenderloin can be like that raw, but even a chuck steak that has been well cared for and cooked until every connection tissue is on the brink of falling apart upon meeting a tongue can deliver that sensation.

Anyone who doesn't eat sushi with their fingers is a retard that needs to be made fun of, though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I agree with this 100%. Yuppie sushi snobs are always talking about how it's all about the fish but you certainly taste the rice more. On top of that most people put so much soy sauce and wasabi on it that you couldn't taste the fish if you tried.
i'm going to temporary housing soon while i move, i don't know if i have the space to take my rice cooker w/ me

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I agree with this 100%. Yuppie sushi snobs are always talking about how it's all about the fish but you certainly taste the rice more. On top of that most people put so much soy sauce and wasabi on it that you couldn't taste the fish if you tried.

I think I'm kind of a sushi snob but I agree with this. Only fish that has strong flavor like otoro or uni can overcome the rice flavor.

I generally prefer nigiri, but I like the complete meal in a bite aspect of sushi rolls.

As for the Bourdain and steak thing. I can't imagine at least not salting the steak, but you get mad flavor with a hot ass cast iron and basting the steak in a fat slab of butter. He's not completely off-base.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Sushi

kind of sucks and is definitely over-rated. And if you dip it in soy sauce and put wasabi on it you probably agree and don't know it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sushi

kind of sucks and is definitely over-rated. And if you dip it in soy sauce and put wasabi on it you probably agree and don't know it.
Yeah I’d much more prefer some grilled Ahi Tuna 🍣 steak.

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Sushi

I am lucky enough to have a job where I get to do a lot of lunch/dinner entertaining of customers. Over the years I have come to really no like sushi at all. There are so many better, more filling options out there.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Sushi

I disagree, I adore sushi
but I also dont use Soy or wasabi

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Why eat soiboi shit like fish when you can eat a high T specimen like a Cow or a Pig?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Sushi also seems to be (at least in my experience) the food that women of all ages tend to fawn over. Men have their steaks, women have sushi. Like 90% of all the women I've ever known their food tastes, have practically acted like they are having an orgasm just from talking about sushi. Some of them I think it also fits in with their "vegetarian" virtue signaling (yes, we all know that's not really vegetarian), and others I distinctly got the impression that they actually liked all the avocado and rice and seaweed and shit in the rolls more than actual sushi. I hate avocado so I would typically just get the fish on top of rice style (no fucking clue what that is called), and most of the women had zero desire to even try that. Probably because it isn't the actual raw fish they want, it is the experience/prestige/whatever. I'll eat it the way I order it, but if you offered me even a shitty sirloin steak instead, I'm going to seriously consider switching. Especially considering the price difference there is likely to be.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Sushi

I’m in the middle with sushi. I don’t eat it often, but every now and then it hits the spot. I love it fried, stuffed with lots of shit and covered in that sweet sauce crap. I don’t do the soy sauce unless it’s a very legit place. Kikkoman is literally the worst.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I agree. The best sushi for me personally is the fried shit with onion strings and sauce and shit that very much makes it not sushi and more some westernized abomination that I enjoy 1000% more. But again, I don't think that's really sushi. I used to eat actual sushi (upscale yuppie grocery store or made-to-order restaurant, not Jiro level or anything) once a week and I don't know that I ever had any of the "real" stuff where i was like OMG that's soooo good! However the shit with fancy sauces and odds and ends I loved, but at that point take it out of the rice roll and just throw that shit on a plate and let me eat it.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We got a legit sushi place near us my wife loves. Not bad but I’d rather have a kabob near by.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my favorite sushi was conveyor belt ipad ordering
img_5616.jpg

could have just spent every lunch here i woulda been happy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Craving arby's fries, and normally I get a double large fries and a couple beef sammies, but their roast beef is always just okay, so I decided to go ham on trying their non-roast beef stuff. They didn't cheat me on the fries at all, I just stuffed my face with hand-fulls as soon as I got them.

wooop.jpg

Fried chicken bacon melt. Pretty good standard chicken sandwich. Off to a good start.
Brand new Bacon Brisket flatbread. They stuffed a lot of meat in there and it was extremely saucy. If you want a sloppy meaty mess, you will enjoy it. A+ fast food.
Loaded italian sandwich, which you can only see a corner of at the top right. S+ Tier fast food. It tasted extremely good, surprisingly good. The red wine vinaigrette had a nice snap, and there was plenty of meat. I've had worse from actual sandwich shops. I wasn't expecting much, but damn Arby's knocked this one out of the park with me.

Maybe it was just a fluke, and I had some monster hands kid putting my stuff together, but I was absolutely shocked at how good their non-roast beef sandwich stuff was. The most pleased I've been with a fast food order in over a year.

• 2Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

rad

Lord of Guk
This is a humorous derail given the context of this thread, perhaps too many dbl qtr pounders tarnishing your refined palate.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Had the Cajun Fish sandwich at Popeyes yesterday and it was cash money. Maybe an all time good fast food fish sandwich. Not sure what the deal was as this Popeyes is janky af but the sandwich was fresh and superb. Fries on the other hand.......

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is a humorous derail given the context of this thread, perhaps too many dbl qtr pounders tarnishing your refined palate.
I fucking love Hawaiian sushi bowls. So good.

• 1Like