The Fast Food Thread

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tmobile had free Daves Single yesterday, was pretty good. Added the burger on the pretzel bun which was also pretty good. Bun was toasted well and had good texture, and the bacon was crispy instead of the leathery shit you sometimes get on fast food bacon sandwiches.

Also, incase we have any masochists here who still eat at subway

The tuna comes in a big plastic bag that you mix with mayo to get the mixture they use for the subs. The tuna itself sure as fuck looks and smells like tuna. Idk why they didnt just test the tuna directly from the bag instead of the mixture that you get on the actual subs.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Could just be a substitute fish. It's like scrod being used to fill in for a lot of "fish' products or pumpkin pie filling actually being made out of squash 95% of the time. They had the same thing with their chicken a few years ago and it was because apparently they were testing the filler part which was mostly soy or something. Basically covering their eyes when sampling and then going "OH MAN YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT WE DIDNT FIND!"

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The tuna comes in a big plastic bag that you mix with mayo to get the mixture they use for the subs. The tuna itself sure as fuck looks and smells like tuna. Idk why they didnt just test the tuna directly from the bag instead of the mixture that you get on the actual subs.
That tuna that comes from a bag at the store and is labeled "tuna" is not tuna. Subway tuna sandwiches not having tuna is about the least surprising thing to me ever. I still eat it, but having real tuna from the ocean put the question of "is this tuna" safely to rest for me.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Bring it on

1624560200075.png

• 5Quality Calories
  • 3Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How are large meals and portions viewed in Japan? Are Americans all giant fatties, and large meals viewed as the occasional treat? Or do they eat larger meals than we'd otherwise know about, perhaps as a way to keep themselves from jumping out an open window at work when life gets to be too much?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
How are large meals and portions viewed in Japan? Are Americans all giant fatties, and large meals viewed as the occasional treat? Or do they eat larger meals than we'd otherwise know about, perhaps as a way to keep themselves from jumping out an open window at work when life gets to be too much?

Everything is proportionally smaller in Japan, including fast food. American portion sizes are seen as ridiculously oversized. There's also mandatory yearly checkups paid for by companies and if you are overweight, they will scold you and you can get in trouble at work for it, which is bad when you plan to stay at the same company your entire life, so it tends to keep people healthy and thin.

Japanese people are far more perturbed by perceived American loudness, brashness, ignorance and lack of intelligence than their eating habits.

1624565693258.png

There are ways to indulge though. Buffets are pretty rare, but yakiniku is a great way to get a lot of calories, and some Japanese people eat a frankly unhealthy amount of rice. My personal favourite fat food is this platter from GoGo Curry which costs under $10. Plus you can always just buy two servings if you want.

20190303_182525.jpg

Then every now and again they will just throw out some massive food item as a gimmick, like the burger above, or the massive McDonalds fries they do sometimes. Or the Giga big mac. You can also double the meat on any Mcdonalds Burger for $1 after 5pm, so a Double cheeseburger has 4 patties etc.

1624565766374.png
1624566112139.png

It's not hard for a fast food loving fatty like me though to chow down regularly.

• 2Quality Calories
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Everything is proportionally smaller in Japan, including fast food. American portion sizes are seen as ridiculously oversized. There's also mandatory yearly checkups paid for by companies and if you are overweight, they will scold you and you can get in trouble at work for it, which is bad when you plan to stay at the same company your entire life, so it tends to keep people healthy and thin.

Japanese people are far more perturbed by perceived American loudness, brashness, ignorance and lack of intelligence than their eating habits.

View attachment 359703

There are ways to indulge though. Buffets are pretty rare, but yakiniku is a great way to get a lot of calories, and some Japanese people eat a frankly unhealthy amount of rice. My personal favourite fat food is this platter from GoGo Curry which costs under $10. Plus you can always just buy two servings if you want.

20190331_223535.jpg

Then every now and again they will just throw out some massive food item as a gimmick, like the burger above, or the massive McDonalds fries they do sometimes. Or the Giga big mac. You can also double the meat on any Mcdonalds Burger for $1 after 5pm, so a Double cheeseburger has 4 patties etc.

View attachment 359704View attachment 359705

It's not hard for a fast food loving fatty like me though to chow down regularly.

Have you ever explained how you ended up in Japan?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
They havent kicked you out yet?
Youre not a citizen are you?

I came on a working holiday visa, had a 6 month vacation, slid into teaching English toward the end, and transitioned to a working visa.

Nice little backdoor not available to people living in the US unfortunately.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I found fast food and junk food was generally pretty cheap for what you get in japan, especially all the small shops where you sit elbow to elbow. And if it was small portions, you can always order MORE. Sit down restaurants were fairly pricey and not worth it. They love fried food there, so you can find all sorts of fried shit everywhere, and it's all great new flavors you aren't used to over here. Desserts all suck though.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I found fast food and junk food was generally pretty cheap for what you get in japan, especially all the small shops where you sit elbow to elbow. And if it was small portions, you can always order MORE. Sit down restaurants were fairly pricey and not worth it. They love fried food there, so you can find all sorts of fried shit everywhere, and it's all great new flavors you aren't used to over here. Desserts all suck though.

Basically yes. Stick to Japanese food in Japan and you'll do fine. Stray from that and try to eat the abominations they concoct in imitation of foreign food and you're going to have as bad time. Fast food is fine though, far better quality that you'd expect. Lots of delicious deep fried stuff, sit down restaurants generally not worth unless you do your research and know what you are looking for, and cheap, delicious meals for around $8-$12 are all over the place.

Avoid desserts at all cost though. I limit myself to the occasional sweet potato taiyaki.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I came on a working holiday visa, had a 6 month vacation, slid into teaching English toward the end, and transitioned to a working visa.

Isn't that partially because Japan's population is actually starting to decline like a lot of other first world countries like Germany and they're looking to get MORE immigration rather than some countries like the US and France.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Isn't that partially because Japan's population is actually starting to decline like a lot of other first world countries like Germany and they're looking to get MORE immigration rather than some countries like the US and France.

Not at all. Japan is still stubbornly sticking to its strict immigration policies. If it didn't have to, I don't think Japan would have immigration at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You can teach English in Japan and all around Southeast Asia as an American pretty easily. Plenty of my loser friends from Oregon did this (some are still doing it!). They taught in Vietnam, Spain, Japan, etc.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You can teach English in Japan and all around Southeast Asia as an American pretty easily. Plenty of my loser friends from Oregon did this (some are still doing it!). They taught in Vietnam, Spain, Japan, etc.

The problem for Americans is getting permission to teach/work in Japan in the first place. You need to be sponsored by a company for a visa while still out of the country. You can't just come here on a tourist visa and teach, nor can you transition from a tourist to a working visa.

As one of the few countries not on the Working Holiday visa program, there's no way for an American to come to Japan with permission to work, without already having an employer willing to sponsor them. It's way easier to come here on a Working Holiday visa and find a job interviewing locally and being able to tell the company "Sure I can start on Monday" - Americans need to do it the roundabout way via things like the Jet program.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't know if this is more McCheese McCheese or more Regime Regime

A fucking donut hole + bacon + maple syrup

Definitely McCheese but I’d eat it. Btw thanks for the steam gift at work right now got the email. Stoked.

Went to Mo’s Seafood in Baltimore. Amazing fucking Crab cakes.

1624738507119.jpeg

• 4Quality Calories
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users