The Fast Food Thread

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
tried shake shack for the first time today

great burger and a special bun, but god damn is it over priced in an insane way
Shake Shake is pretty much the perfect burger and worth every dollar. It puts places like Five Guys and Smashburger to shame, and I'd take one Shake Shack burger over two In and Out any day (if that's still what the price differential is).

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tastes like 'murica.
IMG_20210704_114146.jpg
IMG_20210704_114311.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Shake Shake is pretty much the perfect burger and worth every dollar. It puts places like Five Guys and Smashburger to shame, and I'd take one Shake Shack burger over two In and Out any day (if that's still what the price differential is).

The thing that stops me from going to shake shack is the price. It costs the same as a mom and pop burger restaurant averages around here, and I just can't justify that most of the time. 95% of my fast food burgers are just calories to shove down the food hole quickly, I have things that I need to do with my hands. McD burgers usually suffice for that, especially if it's a known S tier McD where they overcook everything, and they are conveniently bite-size.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

i'm an in and out fangay so price / size aside, i'd put those two burgers on pretty much the same level as far as my overall enjoyment eating them

But when an in and out cheeseburger is 2.40, and a shake shacks just as tasty (or even tastier for some) burger is 6.40 (actually grubhub prices from my area), we've got a bit of a problem

edit: so oddly, I just looked it up and supposedly in and out has 2 ounce patties and shake shack has 4 ounce patties. Eating the shackburger I thought the patty was smaller than in and out, which is really odd. Not sure what's going on there, maybe i'm just a retard, or it's because I only order double doubles from in and out and I had a single from shake shack. That partially explains the price

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It costs the same as a mom and pop burger restaurant averages around here

There are no more burger stands or similar places around here (or the last city I lived in that was sort of known for them and they all got pushed out of business it seems). That's the shame. Used to be willing to pay more for a better product from a small, local business, but now they're gone so it's just paying the same price these days for a worse product from a fast food chain.

I'll admit they've sorta figure out chicken and fast food can generally do decent chicken for the most part, but burgers still taste distinctly fast food in quality. The best fast food burger is still not as good as most average burger stands from when there were any still around. Carl's Jr $6 burger was so brilliant as marketing because it cost less than $6, but now that it's over $6 and pretty mediocre is just embarrassing. The best thing about fast food burgers was the price, and that's gone, but so is the competition so they can get away with it.

They've cracked the science of fast-food chicken, I think. Still waiting on burgers, though, because the best fast food burgers are because of everything but the actual beef patty at this point.

Unrelated, I tried to get a Ch-King the other day, but after 20 minutes of app error messages saying their own deal they would walk you through constructing wasn't valid I decided fuck them and am back to boycotting Burger King. Sucks because they're the closest fast food place to where I live by far, and I used to love them (survived on $1 Whoppers in high school, like literally might have starved without them), but every experience with Burger King for years has been frustrating.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
The fast food burgers aren't comparable to mom and pop. They're not worse, they're just different. I mean I fucking LOVE McDoubles, but in no way would I say that an Applebee's $8 burger is better than a McDouble, but again it's not comparable. Fast food burgers are like PEAK grease/fat efficiency for a dollar value.

I enjoy a good 5 guys burger, but fuck me if don't crave a McDoubles or some Rally Burgers with cheese more often. The only FF burger I'd say is close-ish to homemade/mom and pop is maybe whoppers, but that's 75% because of the condiments.

I'll get burgers from most of our local non-franchise places and honestly they're good, but very few are worth getting again and again. I feel like on menus without pictures especially you get-got by the text describing the item and then you get it and it has all the ingredients like they said, but it's just so much more underwhelming than you'd expect. When you pay 5 dollars for 4 burgers, you've got a low bar but the odds of exceeding your expectations are pretty good.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
There are no more burger stands or similar places around here (or the last city I lived in that was sort of known for them and they all got pushed out of business it seems). That's the shame. Used to be willing to pay more for a better product from a small, local business, but now they're gone so it's just paying the same price these days for a worse product from a fast food chain.

I'll admit they've sorta figure out chicken and fast food can generally do decent chicken for the most part, but burgers still taste distinctly fast food in quality. The best fast food burger is still not as good as most average burger stands from when there were any still around. Carl's Jr $6 burger was so brilliant as marketing because it cost less than $6, but now that it's over $6 and pretty mediocre is just embarrassing. The best thing about fast food burgers was the price, and that's gone, but so is the competition so they can get away with it.

They've cracked the science of fast-food chicken, I think. Still waiting on burgers, though, because the best fast food burgers are because of everything but the actual beef patty at this point.

Unrelated, I tried to get a Ch-King the other day, but after 20 minutes of app error messages saying their own deal they would walk you through constructing wasn't valid I decided fuck them and am back to boycotting Burger King. Sucks because they're the closest fast food place to where I live by far, and I used to love them (survived on $1 Whoppers in high school, like literally might have starved without them), but every experience with Burger King for years has been frustrating.
While I was in Phoenix there was a great burger place called Chuckbox, cash only. Shit was pretty fantastic.
C59C8574-C901-45AD-B6D3-6DFD0698ADA7.jpeg

• 5Quality Calories
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I remember seeing these nuts mentioned a few pages back so I picked up the hottest ones they had:

6oz_Can_Carolina_Reaper_Xtremes.png

Holy fuck these things are hot. It's a really good heat, frontal burn that hangs in your mouth/lips. Not one of those deep burns in your throat. 10ish nuts had my sniffling and crying, and I consider myself a lover of spicy foods. Definitely recommend if you love heat.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I remember seeing these nuts mentioned a few pages back so I picked up the hottest ones they had:

View attachment 361321
Holy fuck these things are hot. It's a really good heat, frontal burn that hangs in your mouth/lips. Not one of those deep burns in your throat. 10ish nuts had my sniffling and crying, and I consider myself a lover of spicy foods. Definitely recommend if you love heat.
So good to know. So many of these “carolina reaper” flavors are bullshit and on par with Jalapeños.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The Tapatio peanuts are pretty good. Spicy in flavor instead of that weird chemical tasting spice a lot of shit has now days that just burns but doesn't taste like much. Weird thing is everywhere I only see the mixed nuts, and peanuts only on ebay, so maybe discontinued?

The spiciest Tapatio ramen bowl was pretty gross. Just pure fake burn feeling. Not really a good taste. I love Tapatio, but the hottest ramen bowl was gross.

I like spicy that actually tastes like food/peppers. Like the Paqui chips, which are amazingly good but will burn your ass off:

1625616057414.png

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's good, very generic and has a very unique sauce. I rarely get it, not because it's bad but because I'd rather get something else.
Krispy Krunchy gas station chicken tenders are superior to both Raising Caines and Zaxby tenders.

• 2WTF

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

View attachment 361321
They were out of carolina reapers when I was in King Soopers today, but I got the other 2. Cayenne Pepper ones aren't bad, but not much heat to them. Will use them in place of other snacks at work tonight to see if there is any difference.

Speaking of food at work. The bottles of Samyang sauce are fucking awesome. I had a couple turkey hot dogs and kroger mixed vegetables for dinner. Couple dashes of Samyang and my mouth was on fire.

• 1Like