The Fast Food Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It costs almost nothing to open a Chick-fil-A - Yahoo Finance

Chick-fil-A is among the most successful fast-food chains in the US, and it's also one of the cheapest to open.

The company grew by $700 million to achieve $5.8 billion in sales in 2014, making it larger than every pizza brand in the country, according to QSR magazine.

Chick-fil-A is now the eighth-largest fast-food chain in the US by sales, and it generates more revenue per restaurant than any other chain nationally, according to QSR.

Despite its success, Chick-fil-A charges franchisees only $10,000 to open a new restaurant, and it doesn't require candidates to meet a threshold for net worth or liquid assets, the company told Business Insider.

That's cheaper than every major fast-food chain in the US.

McDonald's, for example, requires potential franchisees to pay between $955,708 and $2.3 million in startup costs - including a $45,000 franchise fee - as well as have liquid assets of at least $750,000. Taco Bell's startup costs average $1.2 million to $2.5 million and the company requires a minimum net worth of $1.5 million and liquid assets of at least $750,000.

Chick-fil-A, on the other hand, pays for all startup costs - including real estate, restaurant construction, and equipment.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Chick Fil A is also testing what they are calling valet service in various markets for families... Basically you go through the drive through and order and pay for your food then park the car and come inside and they will have all your food set up at a table for you ready. It's pretty genius.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Chick Fil A is also testing what they are calling valet service in various markets for families... Basically you go through the drive through and order and pay for your food then park the car and come inside and they will have all your food set up at a table for you ready. It's pretty genius.
I don't get it. Why don't you just go in and order and sit at the table? This is what DiBella's does. Order at the counter then they bring everything to you at your table.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
rrr_img_122899.jpg

Anyone that has a good Asian store should carry these.

Bar none best peanuts with beer. Get some for your playoff games.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get it. Why don't you just go in and order and sit at the table? This is what DiBella's does. Order at the counter then they bring everything to you at your table.
You don't have kids so I'll forgive you for not understanding why in some situations this would be advantageous.

Khane

I'm guessing the ~1 minute you don't have to keep your kids from running around inside the restaurant because they're strapped into their carseats instead is a godsend?

Why don't they just let you order from an app ahead of time like Taco Bell does? Why do you have to actually go through the drive thru?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No he meant you could lock the car doors and roll up the windows with the kids inside while you go eat

Edit: man I feel terrible about that one

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My girlfriend and I recently made the mistake of going to Chic-fil-a on a Tuesday night (i.e., kids night). I wish they had all been locked in their cars.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guessing the ~1 minute you don't have to keep your kids from running around inside the restaurant because they're strapped into their carseats instead is a godsend?

Why don't they just let you order from an app ahead of time like Taco Bell does? Why do you have to actually go through the drive thru?
You nailed it. Congrats.

Maybe they don't have an app? You should ask them.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Most people would rather wait in line in their cars than in the restaurant. It's stupid but it's a fact of life. You might as well be asking why do we have drive-thrus in general, it's almost as arbitrary. Turns out walking those 20 feet is too much for some people.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Most people would rather wait in line in their cars than in the restaurant. It's stupid but it's a fact of life. You might as well be asking why do we have drive-thrus in general, it's almost as arbitrary. Turns out walking those 20 feet is too much for some people.
I love when the drive thru line is backed up so I'll just go inside and back out before the line has gone through.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The setup of my local Chick-Fil-A is goddamn rage inducing:

Here is what constantly happens. There is 1 line, for 2 ordering stations. Cars line up in the 1 line(green blobs are cars where they should be), and the line splits in two to order, which *in theory* works great. Line moves quick. What ALWAYS happens though when there is a line is that some motherfucking soccer mom in her Lexus SUV just completely bypasses the line and pulls up right behind the outer car that is ordering(purple blob), forming a completely seperate and 2nd line, skipping past EVERYONE that has already been waiting. That yellow line on the ground is actually a small curb/speedbump that makes it pretty obvious you aren't supposed to drive over it, yet people do constantly. The secondary fuckness of this is that the new, 2nd line completely blocks traffic from leaving the parking lot if you are in that innermost section of the parking lot. You're fucked if a 2nd line forms, no one can get through.

rrr_img_122921.jpg

I swear to god it happens roughly 75% of the time I go there, and the entire line just ends up being a clusterfuck of people honking at each other and everyone in the original line enraging as people start to form a 2nd new line next to them, passing them by.

Khane

Chik Fil A is like that here too. Two lines to order that have to merge into one line to get their food. Who the fuck thought that turning a fast food restaurant into the Cross Island Expressway was a good idea? Anyone who has ever tried to get onto Long Island without taking a boat knows what I'm talking about.

I've never eaten at a Chik Fil A and I tend to agree with everyone who hates the place. Everything they do seems to be rage inducing.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Guys.. McDoubles are $1 again if you order them in pairs now. We'll never get EQ back, but at least we can relive this feel-good experience again!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
my McDonalds in little Bad Axe, MI does the split lane thing like in that picture. no idea why they thought it was a good idea in our little 3,100 population town, but we don't have douches cutting in line at least.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
my McDonalds in little Bad Axe, MI does the split lane thing like in that picture. no idea why they thought it was a good idea in our little 3,100 population town, but we don't have douches cutting in line at least.
McDonalds doesn't want people to think. If you're building a new or renovating an old McDonalds in X year, you will do so according to the plans. Not specifically for your town, you will just have the building designed for that year. Period.

McCheese

Except this doesn't happen at McDoanlds because Drive Thru takes priority over dine in.
It depends on tons of variables which will be faster. My local McDs always has a huge drive thru line, and it is absolutely faster to go in and order, in most cases.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
actually not that many variables. biggest variable is the free will of the person at the front of the cook line. at least if its anything like the Taco Bell i worked at was like.

McCheese

actually not that many variables. biggest variable is the free will of the person at the front of the cook line. at least if its anything like the Taco Bell i worked at was like.
Yeah, I don't know all the inner workings. I just know that on more than one occasion I've seen a car near the end of the drive thru line when I walked into the place to order, and it was still in the drive thru line when I walked out with my food. Then again, like I said, for some reason my local McDs always has a massive drive thru line and the inside is always empty. My local KFC is the opposite, and the inside is always packed so the drive thru is usually much faster.