The Fast Food Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Guh. For some reason the idea of pretzel buns has always been way better to me than the reality.
I agree. It always sounds great but is pretty much always disappointing. Most recent example: Pretzel crust from pizza hut. After 2 slices I was wishing I had gotten the regular crust, which at pizza hut is not that great.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speaking of nuking hot dogs...

10 seconds? What the fuck? It's 35-45 seconds for one dog wrapped in a paper towel. Microwaved hot dogs aren't done until the ends burst. Then they are delicious. Pile on all the condiments you want.

A high quality all beef grilled dog on a good fresh bun, normal or potato or Hawaiian or whatever(yes lightly toasted), gets zero condiments. Good meat + good bread = fuck yes.

The gas station near my house has jalapeno and cheddar dogs sitting on the rollers all day. I can never decide how to eat one so I get 2. One with just the mostly liquified chopped onions from a packet

84fd10b5-08ad-4e13-be60-87df9426cea2.jpg

And one slathered in nacho cheese and chili.

Hot dogs are one of my favorite horrible simple foods.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife learned all about Listeria thanks to the doctor. Is it really that big of a deal, or is the chance minuscule? The doctor beat it into her that she was 1000% going to get Listeria poisoning if she even looked at a cooked hot dog.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My wife learned all about Listeria thanks to the doctor. Is it really that big of a deal, or is the chance minuscule? The doctor beat it into her that she was 1000% going to get Listeria poisoning if she even looked at a cooked hot dog.
Even if the odds are .1%, why take the risk? My wife stopped eating lunch/deli meat completely while she was pregnant, as well as predatory fish (shark, swordfish, mackerel, tuna). Odds aren't great that they would cause any problems, but why risk it? It's not like we're eskimos and that is 99% of our available food source

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Since listeria is a high chance of miscarriage, even the small risk of Listeria is worth avoiding at the cost of hot dog.

However,

I'm pretty sure cooking the hot dog kills the bacteria. Uncooked Cold cuts and soft unpasteurized cheeses are what you need to avoid.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sometimes being a microbiologist sucks....

Hot Dogs as well as other cold lunch meats can contain Listeria. While this isn't so much dangerous for bros like you and me, it can cause complications to certain people (especially pregnant women). One time when I was working in the lab, I got yelled at by the boss's boss's boss for bring back a Subway sandwich that a pregnant girl had asked for.

Quoth the CDC:
"Recommendations for persons at higher risk, such as pregnant women, persons with weakened immune systems, and older adults in addition to the recommendations listed above, include:
Meats
Do not eat hot dogs, luncheon meats, cold cuts, other deli meats (e.g., bologna), or fermented or dry sausages unless they are heated to an internal temperature of 165?F or until steaming hot just before serving."

CDC - Prevention - Listeriosis

I have also been told that just microwaving a hot dog is not good enough because the microwave cooks from the inside out. Even though the internal temperature of the dog may be adequate to kill the pathogen some may remain on the surface which has not reached the lethal temperature.
Following advice like this is why they are weak and deserve to die of Listeriosis.

Even if the odds are .1%, why take the risk? My wife stopped eating lunch/deli meat completely while she was pregnant, as well as predatory fish (shark, swordfish, mackerel, tuna). Odds aren't great that they would cause any problems, but why risk it? It's not like we're eskimos and that is 99% of our available food source
Because if you go through life trying to avoid .1% risks you wind up in a padded room wearing a helmet. Your kid is going to be a pussy if you keep thinking this way.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I can see avoiding the 0.1% if you're pregnant. In normal day to day life, though, I will eat the hell out any 0.1% risk.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Meh, it's just about risk vs reward. Nobody cares about giving up hotdogs or lunch meat for a few months, who here loves those 2 things SO much that they just have to have them constantly or their quality of life will drastically suffer? Now, if you tell me that playing video games is definitely a .1% increase in your chance for getting cancer, fuck it, I'm going to keep playing video games. But tell me there's a .1% chance my kid could die from eating hotdogs? I'll skip it, I don't really like them that much anyways, it's no biggie.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah she don't like hot dogs anyways, I was just curious what the chance was.

I mean I might be immune now anyways, after several hundred Listeria-dripping-cold hot dogs, you have to become super hot dog man.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
Yeah she don't like hot dogs anyways, I was just curious what the chance was.

I mean I might be immune now anyways, after several hundred Listeria-dripping-cold hot dogs, you have to become super hot dog man.
One of my wife's coworkers had a miscarriage right after her baby shower due to listeria in the food at the baby shower.

Xevy

Log Wizard
One of my wife's coworkers had a miscarriage right after her baby shower due to listeria in the food at the baby shower.
Hi-heeeee *collar tug*. Where hath thou fallen, Fast Food thread?

Just boil all the hotdogs. Boom! Yes they taste slightly worse, but you won't delete a fetus. Or deep fry them and they'll taste better AND no miscarriage!

Here's a question: Anyone have a good recipe for New York pizza style dough? Thin and crispy and slightly sweet?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If I knew about this while single I would offer all my one night stands a complimentary pack of hot dogs on the way out the door

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If I knew about this while single I would offer all my one night stands a complimentary pack of hot dogs on the way out the door
Yea but then you'd have to make sure they don't cook them too. Like how you should make sure she actually swallowed and don't let her use the bathroom until her gaping maw has been thoroughly inspected.