The Fast Food Thread

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So i probably should have got this instead of the Birria taco's. Meat was very good, but $8 and change for 2 tiny tacos and cup of dip that's mostly wasted unless you shotgun it. Super overpriced.

However, was very nice to go to the only del taco in the eastern half of the state, got to have their grilled chicken taco's which are phenomenal and still almost reasonably priced. Also had double del cheeseburgers 2 for 6. Kinda like an even cheaper in and out. Very solid but not unique basic cheeseburger w/ lettuce/tomato/excellent cheese and big mac like sauce. Still amazes me they are so solid (and almost a good deal) at a fast mex place.

/random Then went to Pan asia to pick up glass noodles etc. Grabbed this 100 plus something "energy drink" mother fucking no caffeine.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Oh gawd. Are the marketing geniuses at fast food restaurants going to start calling everything birria whether it has any relevance or not? It's the new hot term in the food "space". We just barely got over brioche and all the buns that were disgustinly not resembling brioche. And I don't miss the chipotle era at all. If they'd just try to make above average, but consistent food instead of chasing marketing trends maybe any of them would be worth a shit.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Burger King owner Restaurant Brands buys chain's largest U.S. franchisee

Ok, so who here thinks that Burger King's issues had to do with the stores looking outdated or not seeing/hearing about BK enough to remember that they exist?

My issues with BK over the last few years was that their food was too expensive for the size/taste even pre-COVID. My kids beg for it every once in awhile and it is damn near double the cost of McDonalds usually for less food.
To be fair, it can be both. The closest BK to me is literally the same as it was 40 years ago when my parents would bring us to the mall (Arden Fair, if anyone knows the area) from out of town, and BK was the only cheap place to eat near it. I remember looking forward to it despite hating the mall so much. Now, unless they bring back the Italian Chicken, you couldn't pay me to go there. And I'd probably drive to one further away if they did.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I remember enjoying a Whopper now and again back in the 90s. I don't think I ate at BK more than a handful of times since the dawn of the 21st century.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh gawd. Are the marketing geniuses at fast food restaurants going to start calling everything birria whether it has any relevance or not? It's the new hot term in the food "space". We just barely got over brioche and all the buns that were disgustinly not resembling brioche. And I don't miss the chipotle era at all. If they'd just try to make above average, but consistent food instead of chasing marketing trends maybe any of them would be worth a shit.
There's a small restaurant here in Austin that only has one shop in the tiny food court of a medium sized Korean supermarket.

They are getting so popular that there's a two hour line to that place all day every single day. The place is going to get huge. They are a Tex-Mex Ramen restaurant that has a birria ramen thing as their house special. I've never had it but I do go to that supermarket regularly enough for actual groceries.

• 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There's a small restaurant here in Austin that only has one shop in the tiny food court of a medium sized Korean supermarket.

They are getting so popular that there's a two hour line to that place all day every single day. The place is going to get huge. They are a Tex-Mex Ramen restaurant that has a birria ramen thing as their house special. I've never had it but I do go to that supermarket regularly enough for actual groceries.

korean supermarket looks really legit
222a094c3865a32b9e9f37ed27fafefa.jpg

is that like an asian town? or just the stop asians come to get groceries and go back home?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
korean supermarket looks really legit
222a094c3865a32b9e9f37ed27fafefa.jpg

is that like an asian town? or just the stop asians come to get groceries and go back home?
Nah Asian town proper is a few miles away from here. Just a good market for asian goods that was near to my old house.

Asian town proper is dominated by a Chinese supermarket that I hate because they organize nothing at all. To such an extent that if you can't read Mandarin you won't be finding anything. Like huge bins of spices and stuff that is just in straight Chinese. Produce and stuff is good though. H Mart is out in the burbs and its really nice.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

Ok, so who here thinks that Burger King's issues had to do with the stores looking outdated or not seeing/hearing about BK enough to remember that they exist?

My issues with BK over the last few years was that their food was too expensive for the size/taste even pre-COVID. My kids beg for it every once in awhile and it is damn near double the cost of McDonalds usually for less food.

The one saving grace for BK is consistency. Even if that consistency kinda sucks. Personally, I think they make one great product; the Whopper Junior. It is a snack size, perfectly proportioned, sweet, and has actual vegetables on it (as opposed to re-hydrated crap). Their app used to give stuff away for free and that would have me go there on occasion.

McDonalds, on the other hand, has NO CONSISTENCY at all. No bullshit, There are SIX McDonalds within 5 miles of me right now. One might serve you food that is fresh and tasty, another will serve you cold, uncooked burgers on moldy bread. So what niche items the brand offers might matters a lot less than quality control on the franchiser level.

It will be interesting to see if Jersey Mikes will be able to stand up to their recent expansion. They had great quality control when they were small. The flip-side (pun-intended) is White Castle. That franchise serves food which is designed to destroy the human that consumes it, served by barely humans who practice poor hygiene (and are prone to violence and illiteracy) Yet they have a strong and dedicated consumer-base and will not expand beyond the region that their franchise can guarantee their supply chain.

McDonald's reviews near where I am right now (which proves my point):

mcds.jpg

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I don't care how outdated your store is if your product make me wonder if it's giving me cancer. I don't care how cheap or expensive your food is, if it is fucking disgusting.

BK completely sold out to cheap, processed food industry and thought they could power through with marketing. "Yeah, our product is shit, but we are selling it to the mentally handicapped. So we will just make them chuckle with creepy King commercials and catchy songs."

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

Renovating restaurants that people don't visit. What a plan. McDonald's is focusing on the drive-thru model because people would rather eat at home than in a dirty, noisy restaurant. They haven't figured out why franchisees are going BK...bankrupt left and right, but I guess new seats and tables will save them.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Renovating restaurants that people don't visit. What a plan. McDonald's is focusing on the drive-thru model because people would rather eat at home than in a dirty, noisy restaurant. They haven't figured out why franchisees are going BK...bankrupt left and right, but I guess new seats and tables will save them.
i wonder how the 2nd floor automated drive thru is working out

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
i wonder how the 2nd floor automated drive thru is working out

That is a pretty sleek design in terms of efficiency. No actual face to face interaction at any point. The next stage will be to automate the food assembly. Then you just need minimal staff to make sure the machines have enough ingredients.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zero chance that bakes correctly, not to mention the problems with actually cutting slices.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That is a pretty sleek design in terms of efficiency. No actual face to face interaction at any point. The next stage will be to automate the food assembly. Then you just need minimal staff to make sure the machines don't have too much enough ingredients.
This is taco bell we're talking about.