The Fighting Game Community Thread

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
He's a good player with extremely tight execution. He actually put Chris G in losers which is a rare occurrence. SCR 2013 was just PACKED with killers. Look around and you see many good top players not making top 32.

Needless

Toe Sucker
If memory serves he did win this past Shadowloo Showdown, which is theonlything Ive seen the guy win. Regardless I love watching him play.
Australians aren't real people, That doesn't count~
Marlinpie for 2013 Evo Champ! In reality it will be chris g or some gay wolverine playing EG member~

I find it hilarious that a shitty player like jebailey actually made top 16 and the entirety of canadian players didn't make it out of pools. Canada went from decent to free in the span of two majors

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Australians aren't real people, That doesn't count~
Marlinpie for 2013 Evo Champ! In reality it will be chris g or some gay wolverine playing EG member~

I find it hilarious that a shitty player like jebailey actually made top 16 and the entirety of canadian players didn't make it out of pools. Canada went from decent to free in the span of two majors
MarlinPie has a better chance of winning P4A at Evo, imho. Though if any Japanese show up for P4A he doesn't have a shot either.

How about Infiltration using SFIV GF's at matchup practice? Lol..the guy is so insane. He said he was interested in UMVC3 and might be giving it a shot soon if he feels good about his SFIV game.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Infil was taking notes during Marvel, I hope he does cross over.

ApologyMan was awesome to see doing work. Wish he would have gone up against HAz Angelic a bit later on, was awesome to see both of those guys knock out some of the pros.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks Dark, I also saw Hazmat team last night streaming while I was watching one of those. Looks like Ang was practicing Shuma, Wolv, and Frank West now doing some pretty sick level 5 frank power up combos.

Needless

Toe Sucker
It's reeeeally hard to play Morrigan at that level, though.
This.

Also, when is the next major? I've barely kept up with the scene anymore other than watching random streams like Aquasilk once in awhile (who is easily the more entertaining person in the FGC imo)

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Smash Bro's Melee community stepped up big. I hope there isnt alot of fraud charges when its all said and done, because they raised a shitload of money. wow

Syringed_sl

shitlord
I'm kind of glad that game is dead. Not because of the developers for the game and the hard work/dedication they put into it but because the MLP fanbase is some of the most obnoxious fucks on the planet. You know something's very wrong with your community when any mention of it on Something Awful's message boards gets you a permanent ban because they've had enough.

I'm sure the game will be "leaked by accident" or turn into My Tiny Stallions: Battle is Wonderful.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I find it hard to believe they are more obnoxious than the marvel fanbase.

Syringed_sl

shitlord
They were no more obnoxious than the marvel fanbase.
Stream monsters can be very obnoxious, I agree. Thing is, they're confined to a tournament stream and youtube comments. I can go to a lot of areas of the internet and never run into them. MLP's fanbase tends to be all over the fucking place like a zerg swarm and they like to make it very obvious they're fans. Usually in a very obnoxious way which is why most gaming servers, forums, and news sites are pretty fast with the banhammer on them lately.

I really do not see any other fanbase act in that fashion. I don't see Batman fans spamming Bruce Wayne pictures to the point that it requires mods on a forum to confine them to a single thread to keep things under control.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
I really, really enjoy SFXT, but I am garbage at it. So the help I'm asking for in this thread is somewhat specific to that game, but really it applies to fighting games in general. I have TTT2 and am pretty terrible at that as well. I thought I'd create a thread where people can come to get advice about fighting games in general. I'd like to eventually solicit advice for TTT2, but...one thing at a time.

For my problem, specifically: There are a lot of things about SFXT that just aren't intuitive. For example, the timings, or what various EX moves do. I play online and people are able to pull off these ridiculous combos when they tag in and no matter how much I practice I just can't do the same. I can only get about 75% of the way through the challenges with my two main characters, cammy and raven. I am constantly getting housed online, and it always seems like no matter what I do the other player is just one step ahead of me. For the combos I can pull off in the challenges, (that are actually pretty good) I can never seem to mix them into my versus matches online.

So here are the questions I have: (1) Is it better to play against the CPU until i can clear the hardest difficulty before moving online? (2) I know that I have a lot of bad habits that I can't seem to break (i.e., performing cannon strike not as a counter and then getting punished heavily when it misses)...do you have any advice on how to do that? (3) What's more important when you're trying to improve...flawlessly being able to perform the move you want to perform when you want to do it, or knowing all the characters attacks well enough that you can mount a solid defense?

Thanks in advance. If some of you want to add me on PSN and smack me around to help teach me, my PSN name is Explosiivo.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Unfortunately SRK is doing a server migration right now so I can't give you links. It should come back up later this afternoon. There are a bunch of useful threads stickies in the newbie dojo.

There are a lot of things in fighting games that aren't intuitive. Execution wise, it's difficult to tell where you are having issues without knowing what you're failing at specifically, though the largest bane of new players tend to be links. One general bit of advice: the trial mode combos aren't often ideal. Check the character specific sections in SRK for bread and butters (bnbs) for your characters. The key prt of developing execution is doing it in training mode with input display on, so that you can see where your input errors are. If you find that you can pull stuff off in training mode but can't in real matches, don't worry, it's perfectly normal. You'll improve over time.

As far as your questions:

1) playing the computer isn't useless, but it's pretty close. The AI is easily exploitable by things a real player would never fall for and easily deals with mix ups a real player might struggle with. If you want to improve, play real people. By the same token, local games are better than online. I strongly encourage you to use the regional matchmaking section of SRK to find some pals in your area.

2) the best way to fix bad habits is pretty much the same thing you should do to develop good ones. Make goals. Try to meet them. In your particular situation, don't worry about wins or losses. Play matches where you don't allow yourself to do random cannon drills (or whatever). Your metric for winning or losing should be whether you meet your goal, not whether you actually win or lose. After you've broken the habit, go back to trying to win.

3) both. If you can't execute you can't do damage or defend properly. If you don't understand other characters, your can't attack safely, defend correctly, and you miss punish opportunities. That being said, as a new player, I would focus on three parts of execution: anti airs, punishes, and hit confirms. Matchup knowledge is something you can learn organically to a degree, or look up information when you fight a character you're stumped on.

If you have anymore questions, fire away.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Alexzander pretty much got the most of it, play people, as CPU is generally pointless and will pretty much only train you to do silly things that don't really work on actual players.
if you want to focus on something first, learn how toblock. I'm not kidding, specially for a game like SFxT where 90% of the Tekken cast has mid attacks (which you need to block standing up) etc. Then, learn footsies, and how safe/unsafe your moves are. Then go into how unsafe/safe other characters moves are, so you can gauge if you can throw out a reversal/punish.

Execution will come over time.

I may as well throw it out there if anybody wants to play some games on the 360, add Ouchparcel and well play. (UMVC3, SFxT, SF4) Although i don't really.. play much SFxT lol.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Appreciate it. I'm gonna start playing around with a mind to get more technical and see where it gets me. Is the SRK newbie dojo a good place to go to learn some of the terminology and what it means? I hear people throw around terms like auto-cancel/special cancel, hard knockdown, mix-up, cross-up, etc. I want to be able to search the internet for tips but a lot of it is just gibberish to me.