The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Only 5 hours in but chapter 3 made me start to like the game a lot more. Finally liking the magic system now that I understand it but if I give it to the other party members they just randomly fling that shit

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Wish the camera would zoom out WAY more while flying and also wish there weren't retarded invisible walls. Doesn't make the map feel any more open, especially when you have to build speed before taking off and not being able to land off-road.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The flight thing sucks, sadly. I was very disappointed in it. I have yet to do a successful landing, maybe I suck.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The sheer number of sidequests and such in Chapter 3 made the complete lack of such things in Altissa a complete letdown. It seems silly to have gone to the trouble to design this whole big city with the gondola paths and all that and have virtually no content in the damn thing. When the dude bros started talking about the wedding dress I thought for sure it was a big joke...nope! Its played up like a major emotional moment, all courtesy of Vivienne Westwood product placement.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Altissia does have a bunch of hunts but yeah, everything outside of Lucis is disappointing when compared to it.

spronk

FPS noob
haven't been reading this thread much but if you haven't watched kingsglaive (~2 hours) I'd recommend it, watched it tonight and enjoyed it. Top notch animation but mediocre story, it takes place right after the beginning of the game and fills in a lot of backstory that I haven't gotten to yet in game. Gonna watch brotherhood next before I resume my play.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There is none at all.
There's a little, but mostly it feels like spoilers about the story like Luna stuff. The anime OVA Brotherhood was actually kinda better in that regard since it builds up the characters' backstories. You do hear a bit about them in the game, but not that much.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just beat the level 52 monster at the bottom of the mines in the 1st area. My group is level 11. Well, now they're 13 from his death.

The trick was simple. Shoot him to death so he can never melee you. It took 40 minutes, but worth it. Fuck that guy.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
NeoGaf Leaks allude to 50% of XV being cut and unfinished [Spoilers] • /r/FFXV
/v/ - I worked on FF 15, ask me anything! - Video Games - 4chan

and no one was surprised.
However, I have to say that the story had to be partly rewritten last year (after the movie had entered full production) so that's why that character might have inconsistencies between the game and film.

Geez, I thought it was rewritten 3-4 years ago.
As far as I know, the next game from the team is not planned to use this engine.

I liked him and he's an excellent professional. He gets job done at very difficult circustamnces. The engine didn't adapt well to consoles and had limitations. I'm proud to have worked on the game but I think the company should have given it more development time. I don't know about FF16. There were a lot of designs and concepts scrapped, some of them by Ferrari, yeah.
Seems foolish to start over again.

edit: Most of this is important stuff that we would have loved to see. Damn shame we didn't get a finished version of the game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>

Definitely not surprised. I didn't read the links because I am still in Chapter 3 (20+ hours played), but there are plenty of tell-tale signs that it hurried to make a 2016 holiday release.

The sidequests are really shallow. I mean they go a step beyond WoW bear-asses, where you ignore the filler quest text and head toward the minimap goal. Looking at my quest log, I couldn't even decipher the goal from the overly-generic description - effectively forcing me to just follow the minimap.

The pacing is god awful, with very little sense of progression. If you do any sidequests, the main story is quickly out-leveled and trivial.

They didn't skimp on the QA at least, but I do wish they had given another year to flesh out the game. "11 years in the making" isn't as catchy I guess. I don't regret the purchase, but it is disappointing to a major fan of the series (as was XIII).

Malakriss

The level requirements would need to be reduced severely because of the lack of content after Chapter 8. The AMA guy said that the development time they did have was focused almost entirely on Lucis (Chapters 1-8) and that everything else suffered and wasn't going to make the deadline. The linear tunnel that happens from Altissa on was supposed to have open areas like Lucis but not as big obviously (there's still some bounties leftover there), Chapter 9 we are missing gameplay that was actually in the 2013 trailer, Chapters 10-13 were supposed to be expanded and more impactful while Chapter 14 was reduced from a full Chapter 14 + 15 worth, so Chapter 15 simply became the save file's way of saying "hey you beat the game"

As of 2012-2013 when the new director took over and it became FFXV officially (as a single game, no longer a trilogy like 13) they had a contractual deadline to release by the end of 2016. What we got is everything that was finished and the delay from September to November was entirely needed for more than just bug fixes.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Sounds like it was actually only 3 years in the making.

Won't be surprised if they end up cutting the last third of the FF7 remake, never allowing open world exploration and ending the game after you defeat Diamond weapon.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think gameplay falling flat is the only likely fuckup for the FF7 remake - they're gonna put everything they have into it before submitting it to the scrutiny of a fanbase more hyped for it than pretty much anything they've announced before.

DIfficult to predict how people will evaluate whatever turn the gameplay has taken, so that'll make or break it.

Malakriss

A Menace Sleeps in Keycatrich tip - the sealed dungeon part is fairly straight forward aside from
three 4-way tunnel choices. You always come in on NW and the correct paths are NE SE SE. (I'm assuming these aren't randomly generated)
Gates will prevent you from backtracking at certain points so if you want to collect all of the treasures clean out all of the dead ends. Otherwise you'll have to Return to Entrance and reclear down.

edit: most of the sealed dungeons are the same layout except for one longer one. Haven't found a single listing of correct paths yet.
A few tips for collecting all the loot in the endgame dungeons (Field Medicine, Good Chamberlain, Black Belt, etc.) • /r/FFXV

Last edited:

Juvarisx

Florida
Sounds like it was actually only 3 years in the making.

Won't be surprised if they end up cutting the last third of the FF7 remake, never allowing open world exploration and ending the game after you defeat Diamond weapon.

Them dicking over their most anticipated product since the company's creation doesn't seem likely

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Well I am finished, I guess.

Better than 13, but I felt that I actually understood more of what was going on in 13. (YA I SAID IT)

I watched Kingsglaive, but it seems like such a small part of the overall story.

WHERE IS MY REVENGE PLOTLINE? This emperor dude took my City and killed my father in an obvious trap, but wait I don’t care about that anymore? I want to kill this 10,000 year old deamon guy who was nice to me? What? No .No Fuck you, I will kill that stupid emperor and have my revenge, oh he died off screen?

Fuck you Square..fuck you.