The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's one really good thing that I learned when I started playing the game, did a quick search on missables as I often do when playing rpgs cause I hate missing important stuff, and apparently you cannot miss anything in this game. I mean, I know of one quest where you can miss items if you do it before you've done other stuff, but they're just consumables so you're only losing a bit of gold or whatever.

You might be locked out of doing the content at a certain point in time, but you can eventually go back and do everything anyway(and by eventually I mean before finishing the game, although you can also go back after finishing the game).

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah FFXII notwithstanding the series has been really good about not having a lot of missable shit since before FFX.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You CAN miss Ignis Recipe #100 (Chilled Food Tin) if you don't camp out in chapters 10-12. That's about the only thing I've seen that is truly missable with no other options to get.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You CAN miss Ignis Recipe #100 (Chilled Food Tin) if you don't camp out in chapters 10-12. That's about the only thing I've seen that is truly missable with no other options to get.
Aren't you forced to camp at some point in those chapters? Like before or after the mine I forgot. That said it's a bit of a non factor to me, I don't do achievements(which I assume there's one that involves getting all recipes) and I don't think it's a good food. I don't mind missables when it's minor stuff like that, it's just super annoying when it's like important items. Or you know like VI, a whole character.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
If you didnt wait for Shadow i hope someone slits your momma's throat for a nickel.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Killed my first Level 99 MX-0 Angelus and got a Magitek Suit (Mark I), +70 STR +50 VIT +1000 HP ain't bad at all. Even without Mark IIs simply getting a full party of Is would do wonders.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you didnt wait for Shadow i hope someone slits your momma's throat for a nickel.
I didn't the first time, mind you I was still learning english(mostly learned from Zelda/FF6/Chrono Trigger and then later UO). Then later on I read in some video game magazine(cause how else would you get info about videogames) about all the tips and cheats for FF6 and it was mostly random shit like get whatever wind for Gau but then they also explained how to get Shadow and I was like "oh fuck you, really now". So I replayedthe game and got him that time. But yeah it was probably the first case of a missable I encountered. Well maybe some shit in Zelda 1 cause that game was full of retarded stuff, like burn this bush out of the 50 on the screen for no reason, bam get a cave with some shit in it.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm one fight away from beating the story, after which I'm gonna sift through this thread for your end-game farming links and get started.

Alas, probably tomorrow - guys at work wanna play overwatch tonight.

edit: you being Mala

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't the first time, mind you I was still learning english(mostly learned from Zelda/FF6/Chrono Trigger and then later UO). Then later on I read in some video game magazine(cause how else would you get info about videogames) about all the tips and cheats for FF6 and it was mostly random shit like get whatever wind for Gau but then they also explained how to get Shadow and I was like "oh fuck you, really now". So I replayedthe game and got him that time. But yeah it was probably the first case of a missable I encountered. Well maybe some shit in Zelda 1 cause that game was full of retarded stuff, like burn this bush out of the 50 on the screen for no reason, bam get a cave with some shit in it.

Yeah, I'd be infuriated if I missed Shadow. FF has since become kind of an exemplar in terms of how to properly manage access to content over the course of a jrpg playthrough. See the goddamn Tales team if you wanna know how not to do it. Or FFX-2, but I'm only referring to mainline entries.

Malakriss

I'm one fight away from beating the story, after which I'm gonna sift through this thread for your end-game farming links and get started.

Alas, probably tomorrow - guys at work wanna play overwatch tonight.

edit: you being Mala
There's a point when everyone ends up with AP farming and Cactuar/Magitek farming left. Cause those are the biggest time sinks.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a point when everyone ends up with AP farming and Cactuar/Magitek farming left. Cause those are the biggest time sinks.

Does any content in the game actually demand farming that stuff? From what I hear the adamantoise fight is long but not overly difficult

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Finally got some time to play this, Chapter 3 about 20 hours in. You think they went a bit overboard on side quests?

Load times are AIDS playing on a stock PS4Pro. I looked at the specs and the stock HDD is 5400 RPM which I guess makes me a bad. I swapped in a SSD and here's what it did for load times:

PS4Pro Stock HDD:
Starting game until you can get to title menu: 0:44
Loading a saved game: 1:24
Quick Travel: 1:13:00

1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD:
Starting game until you can get to title menu: 0:35
Loading a saved game: 0:30
Quick Travel: 0:27

Still feels like it takes forever to load everything but SSD definitely gives a nice boost. Makes Quick Travel much nicer to use.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Does any content in the game actually demand farming that stuff? From what I hear the adamantoise fight is long but not overly difficult
Nothing demands it, frankly you could just get the Black Hood, all 3 Ribbons, then Magitek Suit I for the rest of the accessory slots and call it a day. But minmaxers and collectors will always do their thing for DLC and NG+ and continue farming for those 5% Mark II drops.

Even if you do max food buff for +100% and only collect 10/12 of them that's still 100x MX-0 Angelus kills on average.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
heh, I've beat the game, done a lot of post-game, spent probably 55 hours playing, and I just now discovered the proper way to battle isn't mashing the attack button while defending when appropriate, but in fact HOLDING the attack button while defending when appropriate.

Go me.