The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow... it has been nearly 18 years of this game in my life, and I am just now learning this. I had just assumed there was a time travel and spiritual aspect of this. What I mean by that is, the whole game you thought Tidus was simply transported through time just like his Dad was, but in the end you knew that Titus was simply a fayth (and from there I just assumed he had died like everyone else in the original attack). I'm having a horrible time conveying this as the last time I truly played this game was back when it first released. It is my favorite FF alongside IV, and I do know I liked the story when I walked away from it.

I was the one that kind of started the whole "second half of VI sucked thing." I see now what they were trying to do, and it makes sense, but when it first came out, it wasn't what I was expecting so that was how I felt about it initially. I basically wanted another IV and they did something completely different, so my teenage self was disappointed.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm going back and finally finishing FF12... i guess i left off around 50% through.

Anybody know a decent way to setup a tank gambit? i have Fran as a Foebreaker/red mage but she never holds aggro over my ashe who is bushi/black mage. Is there a taunt skill or something that can actually pull aggro off a dps? lol

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What I mean by that is, the whole game you thought Tidus was simply transported through time just like his Dad was, but in the end you knew that Titus was simply a fayth (and from there I just assumed he had died like everyone else in the original attack).

Tidus is not a fayth himself, but a dream of the fayth. We find out in X2 that he was based largely on this dude named Shuyin that fought this big ole thing called Vegnagun and was in love with some singer that looked just like Yuna. Terrible story, but great combat.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
How do people not like FF6 World of Ruin!? That's the whole reason why the game is so beloved. If it stopped at World of Balance, then it's probably as good as FF4.

Wow... it has been nearly 18 years of this game in my life, and I am just now learning this. I had just assumed there was a time travel and spiritual aspect of this. What I mean by that is, the whole game you thought Tidus was simply transported through time just like his Dad was, but in the end you knew that Titus was simply a fayth (and from there I just assumed he had died like everyone else in the original attack). I'm having a horrible time conveying this as the last time I truly played this game was back when it first released. It is my favorite FF alongside IV, and I do know I liked the story when I walked away from it.

I was the one that kind of started the whole "second half of VI sucked thing." I see now what they were trying to do, and it makes sense, but when it first came out, it wasn't what I was expecting so that was how I felt about it initially. I basically wanted another IV and they did something completely different, so my teenage self was disappointed.
Yeah you are supposed to think that he is a time traveller, until you find the Fayth summoning it and are told that it's a real place in present day Spira - but made out of summoning magic.

Jecht got swept out to sea and survived the ocean since he was a blitzball player. Auron rode Sin in and out since he was dead at that point. Sin attacked it to help Auron and Tidus leave I think, Auron speaks to Sin as it transports you.

It's not clear if Tidus is one of the Fayth on Gagazet or if the summoned people could reproduce and it's some sort of soap opera for the Fayth.

The antagonist of FFX-2 looks exactly like Tidus so I assume Tidus was a version of that guy.

It's not convoluted, it's just not explained in huge detail as it's not needed for the story. You just need to know that it's being summoned and will vanish once the Fayth die.

I misunderstood this a lot too the first time around. I thought Zanarkand was inside Sin.

Siliconemelons

So I read more stupid ffX wiki articles than I needed to...

So there are many references to the fayth and the aeons and the summoner having a deep and personal bond - so that's where my comment about goober being and evil fucker with Anima - that was intact his mom and final aeon that he decided not to use or whatever.

So jecht is also from the fake zanaraknd, that is a summon that is reflectant and idealized version of zanarkand- it's populated by the summoned people and of the faythes that are used to summon it...and the pyreflies used to create the world... the the armor around the dude that is making the world attacks the world...

so jecht is faken yet is made into a fayth and a final aeon...but made from a faythe and a huge ass aeon that is old zanarkand....

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Chris Chris it's not that people don't like the WoR, it's fine for what it is, and has some great hidden stuff and side stories (though not all). It's just a big change from how the story was in the WoB, and when VI people try to push it as the best FF, they invariably will come up with a strange laundry list of what's wrong with the other great FF's (VII, IX, X, XII...although most VI and IX people get along) that seem to also be problems with VI that they just leave out while praising everything they decide it is. The Kefka as the best villain thing is a big one. I think he could have been a much better villain if he wasn't just an absentee tyrant on his tower of trash for the entire WoR.

Maybe it's just because of replayed it so many times, but normally I get to the WoR, and pretty early on after you get the Falcon it just becomes meh, your team if you've given them virtually any spells from Espers is probably overpowered as hell, and only getting more so. The treasure hunt aspect is fun, and some of the sidequests are good (Locke and Phoenix Cave come to mind), but can drag a bit with no main story interaction. It's still a lot of fun, and I liked it, I just thought it could have been more. Most of the "great moments" in VI when I think of them are all from WoB (a couple of exceptions). Like I said, VI is still my 2nd favorite FF of all time. I still don't get what Namon Namon means by wanting them to do with VI what they did with IV. IV was basically all story with no real battle system, but the story was the first time we'd had one of that scope, so it was great. Just felt like VI improved on IV in every way, had an even better story overall, far more extras, and at least some form of battle system with Espers/relics to customize characters (although if you really are a stickler for the "set" classes I get why you'd prefer IV's combat).

Chris

Potato del Grande
Kefka is the only villian that wins, which raises his status quite a lot. The best villian is Sephiroth obviously.

VI has a bad character customisation system which I agree taints World of Ruin which actually is the best endgame scenario of any Final Fantasy. Especially poor since it came after V which has the best version of the fucking job system!

If only we could have a game with the best aspects of every Final Fantasy game...

Merrith

Kefka is the only villian that wins, which raises his status quite a lot. The best villian is Sephiroth obviously.

VI has a bad character customisation system which I agree taints World of Ruin which actually is the best endgame scenario of any Final Fantasy. Especially poor since it came after V which has the best version of the fucking job system!

If only we could have a game with the best aspects of every Final Fantasy game...

But he doesn't "win" per se. He just steals another's plan and causes a calamity. Then sits around waiting for the group of people he should have been worrying about the most to take him out. He does get the crazy and evil as fuck traits down by poisoning Doma, killing Leo, and that laugh. I will say I never understand when people who love IX give Kuja so much praise...he's a weak version of Kefka at best.

I wonder how many people would feel about VI's battle system/character customization had V actually been released on the SNES. We'll never get a "perfect" FF though simply because everyone has their preferences for what they want, whether it be people who care about high fantasy v. futuristic tech/steampunk, set job classes v. ability to customize your party, old school turn based v. action combat...etc. Plus they like to try new things too much sometimes...which is why VIII exists.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I wonder how many people would feel about VI's battle system/character customization had V actually been released on the SNES. We'll never get a "perfect" FF though simply because everyone has their preferences for what they want, whether it be people who care about high fantasy v. futuristic tech/steampunk, set job classes v. ability to customize your party, old school turn based v. action combat...etc. Plus they like to try new things too much sometimes...which is why VIII exists.

Damn i need a rom hack of ff6 with ff5 job system.

• 1Worf

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Chris Chris it's not that people don't like the WoR, it's fine for what it is, and has some great hidden stuff and side stories (though not all). It's just a big change from how the story was in the WoB, and when VI people try to push it as the best FF, they invariably will come up with a strange laundry list of what's wrong with the other great FF's (VII, IX, X, XII...although most VI and IX people get along) that seem to also be problems with VI that they just leave out while praising everything they decide it is. The Kefka as the best villain thing is a big one. I think he could have been a much better villain if he wasn't just an absentee tyrant on his tower of trash for the entire WoR.

Maybe it's just because of replayed it so many times, but normally I get to the WoR, and pretty early on after you get the Falcon it just becomes meh, your team if you've given them virtually any spells from Espers is probably overpowered as hell, and only getting more so. The treasure hunt aspect is fun, and some of the sidequests are good (Locke and Phoenix Cave come to mind), but can drag a bit with no main story interaction. It's still a lot of fun, and I liked it, I just thought it could have been more. Most of the "great moments" in VI when I think of them are all from WoB (a couple of exceptions). Like I said, VI is still my 2nd favorite FF of all time. I still don't get what Namon Namon means by wanting them to do with VI what they did with IV. IV was basically all story with no real battle system, but the story was the first time we'd had one of that scope, so it was great. Just felt like VI improved on IV in every way, had an even better story overall, far more extras, and at least some form of battle system with Espers/relics to customize characters (although if you really are a stickler for the "set" classes I get why you'd prefer IV's combat).
Trying to convey my feelings when it released in 1994. My last FF was II (IV) in 1991 and the game totally blew me away so as my hype built for III (VI) when they first announced it's release that summer, I was literally picturing the same formula for II with different characters. It was largely true that first half but in the WOR second half the more open feel threw me and I basically missed an all time classic due to crazy expectations.

Siliconemelons

I have expressed this before but FF games have overall themes and "ideals" that hit in more than one game.

2 and 4 are very similar - empire and airships

3 and 5 are similar in their job Systems and multi world narrative and crystals

6 and 7 where very much rebels vs empire that is killing the earth for its selfish needs and technology etc. Is bad.

8, 9 and 10 are love stories at core

9 baddies get props because again, they actually destroy the fuck out of lots of shit. Dude summons bahamut and blows up Alexandria and our heroes run away and are like "wow that was crazy...he can't just keep doing this right...lets take refuge on this remote island thing with the last of this race" NOP- boom blow all them up, goodbye.

It's the "why don't badguys keep using their mega weapon" - ff9 "okay, bloom!"

He didn't get presented as well as Kefka - they made the "ohh that's NOT really the bad guy!" More on/off than Kefka was more progression

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Never got around to playing XII, is the writing just as stupid as X? Haven't enjoyed a mainline FF since IX because of the amount shitty anime tropes and designs they injected into the series.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
the story in XII is pretty convoluted (and strangely parallels Star Wars lol), but i'd say its better than X.

Yasumi Matsuno was the director / concept creator / scenario writer for most of the development of XII (tho he stepped down before the game was finished)

Matsuno was also the director / writer for Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, and most notably Final Fantasy Tactics, so you might already have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

• 1Picard

Merrith

the story in XII is pretty convoluted (and strangely parallels Star Wars lol), but i'd say its better than X.

Yasumi Matsuno was the director / concept creator / scenario writer for most of the development of XII (tho he stepped down before the game was finished)

Matsuno was also the director / writer for Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, and most notably Final Fantasy Tactics, so you might already have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Maybe that's why when I played it back when it first came out I only liked the story up to a certain point. Was a sweet spot where you knew your way around the story was getting interesting, and you were cranking out hunts...the game was fun. Then it sorta started spiraling downhill towards the end.

Still wonder if X had better voice acting if it would be accepted more over here. Can understand people missing a true overworld, but I thought the overall story in X was actually pretty damn good, with a decent twist.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe that's why when I played it back when it first came out I only liked the story up to a certain point. Was a sweet spot where you knew your way around the story was getting interesting, and you were cranking out hunts...the game was fun. Then it sorta started spiraling downhill towards the end.

Still wonder if X had better voice acting if it would be accepted more over here. Can understand people missing a true overworld, but I thought the overall story in X was actually pretty damn good, with a decent twist.

I could probably still enjoy it then. The frame for X's story was interesting but it still takes the cake for the most unlikable group of characters possible even barring the terrible voice over work and the dumbest upgrade system. At least the series hasn't devolved into Kingdom Hearts level of terrible yet.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
PC benchmark...

FF14.jpg

ff15.jpg

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The story of XII is great until they introduce the supernatural villain that comes out of nowhere.