The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Chris

Potato del Grande
The story of XII is great until they introduce the supernatural villain that comes out of nowhere.
Then don't do anything with it. I actually really liked them but you never fight one and never deal with the main group of them who are orchestrating history.

Then there's the huge sin of dealing with nothing from FFT. The star wars shit just vanishes between games, FF12 should have been the story of how all the tech got destroyed.

FF12 just isn't finished. It just randomly ends with unresolved plot points.

Siliconemelons

It's a huge example of how fail FF has been - they make a big point that it's the same world as FFT, one of the most loved FF games out there,

Then, shits all over it by omission.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
XII never had a good villain or a real plot thread to bring you through the game.

Also the battle system is pretty shitty and it feels like an offline MMORPG.

• 1Salty
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean, the battle system is going to be divisive, especially at the time the game was released. Some will hate it, others will love it. Also the nods or lack thereof towards Tactics. Story definitely had its issues.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved 12 also. Main issue for me is it's got what has to be the worst OST of the mainline series. Nalbina dungeon, Cerobi Steppe, Eryut Village, Jahara are great - the rest is kinda shitty,

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ff12 battle system is great at the start but at the end there's no depth since all the characters end up the same.

And that's not after end game grinding like 10, or because of an immense number of customisation options like in 7.

It also feels great playing an MMO battle system but the healing is done for you, until you get to a difficult boss and figure out its best playing as the healer to time the heals properly - ruining the whole thing.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
You're given the incentive to make amazing Gambits, but the problem with that is that the game ends up playing itself mostly. It's fun and makes you feel smart to start with but you can then just stand there and not actually play the game properly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Also turns out that Dissidia NT is kinda shitty. It feels like half a game without 1v1, training or a fleshed out story mode. The gameplay feels ok (I don't really like core battles) but it feels completely unfinished.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I had Dissidia NT pre-ordered with 2 other friends. We all played a crazy number of hours on PSP and were really looking forward to it, at least until the beta. I tried both betas and that convinced me to cancel my pre-order. I cant' even put my finger on what mechanically I dislike about it so much, but it just felt wrong to play. Maybe my tastes have just changed over the years, but I'm sad that I didn't get the game I had hyped up in my own head.

Siliconemelons

Dissidia's show the failure of "RPG Action Combat" because there is always something that is just broken.

CrisisCore as an example - block was action, 80% of other things were timed - turn base, so you sit there in block, hit or cast, go back to block...you dont have to move or do anything.

OG Dissidia you could do similar shit with certain things - but has no "rest of the game" to make it worth it.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man I played XV and then X within a week or so of each other last year.

It's shocking to See ow well X held up over nearly two decades. The combat is fantastic, The story managed to keep me interested and me invested in the characters fates for 40 hours. I Half expected it to be like other games I loved fro that era but can no longer stand to play much like Planescape Torment or even Baldurs Gate 2.

But nope the combat is the best they ever did and maybe the best classical JRPG turn based combat of any game. Only real complaint is that Tidus could be a better leading character, he's a bit too whiny-13 year-old for the role, but otherwise its like if they took the high points of 15 but strung em all together and made the story have actual coherence.

Really an absolute classic that deservedly has sold a fuck ton of games both back on PS2 and the remasters.

Last edited:

Needless

Toe Sucker
i did something similar and felt the same way, got bored of 15 by chapter 11 and fired up X again, had tons of fun playing it on the vita

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
FFXV is on sale for $20, is it worth it?.

I think X is the only FF game I've played and don't have any particular love/hate/nostalgia for the series

SeanDoe1z1

20$?

I would say yes. I actually bought a PS4 for this game on a whim, too much cash in wallet and hard to pass up off their ads.

Probably 7/10 for me with a lot of front end propping it up. No regerts.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ff12 battle system is great at the start but at the end there's no depth since all the characters end up the same.

And that's not after end game grinding like 10, or because of an immense number of customisation options like in 7.

It also feels great playing an MMO battle system but the healing is done for you, until you get to a difficult boss and figure out its best playing as the healer to time the heals properly - ruining the whole thing.

Just wanted to pop in and say that the Zodiac version that was released recently for the PS4 avoids having all the characters being the same by forcing you to pick classes that get used up once chosen. The license grid also doesn't have every weapon/armor/skill on it.

The combat definitely is a matter of taste, however. I loved being able to make super automated characters that could effectively win any fight by themselves without my interaction for the most part. I also really like Factorio. Different strokes for different folks!

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I finally decided to pick up and play FFXV and am about 10 hours in and hit chap 3. I think if it was called something other than Final Fantasy I'd be enjoying it more as it just feels like a more RPGish GTA/Saints Row etc.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are some pretty amazing scenes/battles that make it very Final Fantasy-ish, but outside of those it could have been passed off with just about any other title.